Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stoooopid Dually Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 04:41 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Stoooopid Dually Questions

I've never owned a dually but am considering converting to/buying a dually. Here's the thing, I could really use the load capacity and stabilty on occasion but the rest of the time it would just suck for parking, fuel ecconomy, etc. So I'm thinking convert to dually width axles but then only put on the outside rear dual and some extra fender when I need the capacity but the rest of the time just run a single in the rear with the extra fender off? To accomplish this I need axle info.

Some googling gives me some conflicting answers on axle widths. That the dually axle is somewhere between 4.5 and 6 inches wider then the srw axle. Also that even with the wider axle because of the backspacing of the dual wheel to get the same track width I'd need a 2.25-3" spacer between the hub and wheel when running as single. This I have no problem with I figured, I want to add a spacer in back with the SRW setup I have now anyway. I think the width discrepancy comes from the difference between CC dually and pickup dually. As I don't have axles to measure I'm hoping you all can help.

One thing that concerns me with doing something like this is if I will have a big axle hub sticking out from the wheel in that back. With a wider dually axle and running just the inner dually wheel spaced out to match the front will the axle hub still protrude further then the lug nuts? To figure this I need to total width, something I have had no luck finding online.

Been searching as I typed, now I'm reading that the DRW version of the 10.25 is 4" wider then the SRW version and that it's set up for 2.5" springs vs 3" Here is the question I haven't yet been able to find an answer to, where is the extra width added? Or more exactly are the axles themselves longer on the DRW version making the same hub stick out more, or is the hub different, or a combination of both?

How much tire width can fit in a stock DRW F350? This assuming whatever wheels and spacers are needed? So overall width and the spring being the limiting factors? I currently run a 12.5 wide tire and would like to stick with that width tire.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 PM
a4t1rat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the answer is yes and no... maybe this pic will help you

the axle is wider, you can run a single wheel on it but you will need to leave the dually fender on. you will also have to modify the bed for the dually fender so I don't think you will want to take it off after that. As far as driving, parking and the ect. I drive my 2008 f450 dually every day. You wont need spacers to run a single wheel just bolt them on. I would not run a single dually wheel in the rear just run a non dually wheel in the rear if you want to go with a single.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Seriously? Taking the dually tires off and running singles? What would that accomplish other than waisting your time.

As far as removing the fender? This is what you would be looking at with no dually fender on the bed

As for what you need to make a dually out of your truck....
Dually front hubs
Dually PICKUP rear axle(NOT cab-n-chassis)
6 dually rims
A dually bed

Old 05-29-2013, 08:01 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Seriously? Taking the dually tires off and running singles? What would that accomplish other than waisting your time.
Try reading above

Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Look at this M715 of some kind, this is the basic idea but what I'm really trying to avoid is the axle hubs protruding outside the wheels like that. Do you see what I mean?

Old 05-29-2013, 08:32 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Just found this; 1997 FORD F250

This is pretty much what I am after when single, then slap on another rear wheel and some kind of flare when needed. This appears to be a rail truck, I'll have to see if I can find what they used axle wise.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Likely a fender flare more like this

Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord
Just found this; 1997 FORD F250

This is pretty much what I am after when single, then slap on another rear wheel and some kind of flare when needed. This appears to be a rail truck, I'll have to see if I can find what they used axle wise.
That's a single rear wheel truck...

Originally Posted by BruteFord
Likely a fender flare more like this

Note how far in the inner wheel is... That's where it will sit with the outer wheel off...

Old 05-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Daniel5.0
Senior User
Don't mean to rain on your parade here, but have you ever rotated your tires and actually looked at the inside dual by itself? It looks ridiculous. If you're dead set on this I'd try to find some single wheels with the right offset and make it look like a SRW...somehow...

If mileage and driveability is what you're after, 30 seconds on Craigslist will find you a $1500 Ranger.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:01 PM
BennyLumpkin
Junior User
That extra wheel on each side doesn't make enough of a difference in fuel mileage to say it does.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:10 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
I give up

Needs 10 letters

Old 05-29-2013, 11:14 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
OK, time for me to chime in. That's my jeep m715 in front of my shop. I actually owned it for about two weeks, then the guy with title showed up (long story) I was just showing how a lot of trucks back in the day ran the dually type rear wheel as a single. Other than banging my shins once in the last year, I actually like that look. I drive a '59 f350 9' express pickup that I made from parts. First to show up was the 9' flareside box in excellent shape. Then I bought a '59 f350 stakebed to put it on. Did all the research like you did. I parted out a '92 2wd dually pickup for the wheels and rear axle. (sterling 10 1/4). Heres a photo of the box I bought and then the swap onto the stakebed. There is also a pic of the truck that inspired the project, a '53 f350 express, bone stock. The '53 was too original to mod so I sold it to a good home. The '59 now has a cummins 6at 6 cyl turbo diesel, and converted to 8 lug front hubs. And FWIW I like your idea of swapping back and forth between single and dually. It wasn't a stupid question......

Attached Images      
Old 05-29-2013, 11:44 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
TY finally someone that gets it, and somewhat local to, nice trucks. That 53 reminds me of the 56 Studebaker I grew up driving. Cheers

Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Old 05-29-2013, 11:59 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I'll sign off with a and now for some check ya later.......

Quick Reply: Stoooopid Dually Questions