Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stoooopid Dually Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 08:18 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
those i could measure easy enough:
55 1/2" between inside dual sidewalls.
3 1/4" gap between inside dual sidewall and leaf springs.

Accuride #29577 Rims (1984.5-97 2wd f350 dually rims.16x6,4.88 center bore,5.00" offset,4 hand hole,16x5 bolt pattern)
LT 225/75/R16 (29.3X8.9) [where factory on DRW pickups was a little more tall and narrow at 215/85/16]

Old 06-01-2013, 09:27 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ya know even you in the same thread say two completely different things about how wide the CnC axle is compared to the SRW. Rather confusiong wouldn't ya say?

Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
i have to disagree with ya on the cab n chassis axle measures 4" difference than a srw pickup axle Brad.
i really thought that the cab n chassis i was once incorrectly sent from a salvage yard (even though i tried explaining it to them over and over.it was their fault they couldn't tell if their truck was a cnc or pickup-i had to dispute it with my bank for return - i won!)
measured just the same width as the srw axle i had in my pickup already.the only thing i noticed was the spring hangers where moved inwards.
im surprised everytime Brad posts and says there is a difference between those two axles at all.
but nevertheless,i can assure everyone that the cab n chassis is so dang close.even if Brad is correct that it's slightly wider.my tape measure couldn't tell a difference but i forgot what it was,and comparing it to my srw while in the truck is all i did,which was too hard.it looked the same and i could tell very very easily it was far too narrow anyway just by looking at it.
will not work.i'ts still far too narrow

Look I'm tired of arguing this with you all. I came to the conclusion that I'm going to run modified double bead lock hummer wheels and 12.5 wide tires. I already have 4 unmodified wheels and 6 tires. These wheels are 9" wide, that alone throws off all comparison with your trucks.

The initial math and measuring I did on this leads to me running into the 102" legal width limit with any axle wider then 70". I still have research to do on that law, maybe you all know. Does tire bulge count for the 102" limit, or can I go to the outside edge of the wheel? If tire bulge doesn't count then the wider pickup axle is a very good fit, if not I can't be sure yet.

At this point my next step is to lock down my wheel modification and spacer between the wheels. Then and only then will I know what my axle limits/needs really are.

It's going to be really tight, with 48" spring width and 102" total width limit I have 27" per side to fit tires(and chains) and be legal. It will be close but the math so far says it's doable, maybe I'll fudge the law just a little bit. Cause of this the last thing I can do is commit to an axle that is too wide. I can't really narrow a pickup axle. But I can grab a CnC axle with more weight capacity and bigger brakes and space it out if have to.

I started this thread with one goal, to get enough info to know what parts to keep an eye out for deals on. I'm still not 100% sure on axles as I have to explore axles from other makes more. But I can say if I find a deal on a DRW pickup 10.25 axle I'll buy it. In fact I might have already, well a whole truck with an axle. Worse case if I can't use it I'll sell it, but I'm not going to invest any real money in DRW pickup axles until I know for sure.

Also still not sure on the D60 parts as I'm also not sure about other makes.

Anyway I'll piece this together over time depending on what deals I come across. Doing this with the truck is a very low priority. If I pick up this truck I'll have an axle right away for the trailer which is my only immediate need with all this. If so I'll slap on the dually wheels for now and use it to fit test the hummer wheels and tires.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord
Ya know even you in the same thread say two completely different things about how wide the CnC axle is compared to the SRW. Rather confusiong wouldn't ya say?

Look I'm tired of arguing this with you all. I came to the conclusion that I'm going to run modified double bead lock hummer wheels and 37x12.5 tires. I already have 4 unmodified wheels and 6 tires. These wheels are 9" wide, that alone throws off all comparison with your trucks.

The initial math and measuring I did on this leads to me running into the 102" legal width limit with any axle wider then 70". I still have research to do on that law, maybe you all know. Does tire bulge count for the 102" limit, or can I go to the outside edge of the wheel? If tire bulge doesn't count then the wider pickup axle is a very good fit, if not I can't be sure yet.

At this point my next step is to lock down my wheel modification and spacer between the wheels. Then and only then will I know what my axle limits/needs really are.

It's going to be really tight, with 48" spring width and 102" total width limit I have 27" per side to fit tires(and chains) and be legal. It will be close but the math so far says it's doable, maybe I'll fudge the law just a little bit. Cause of this the last thing I can do is commit to an axle that is too wide. I can't really narrow a pickup axle. But I can grab a CnC axle with more weight capacity and bigger brakes and space it out if have to.

I started this thread with one goal, to get enough info to know what parts to keep an eye out for deals on. I'm still not 100% sure on axles as I have to explore axles from other makes more. But I can say if I find a deal on a DRW pickup 10.25 axle I'll buy it. In fact I might have already, well a whole truck with an axle. Worse case if I can't use it I'll sell it, but I'm not going to invest any real money in DRW pickup axles until I know for sure.

Also still not sure on the D60 parts as I'm also not sure about other makes.

Anyway I'll piece this together over time depending on what deals I come across. Doing this with the truck is a very low priority. If I pick up this truck I'll have an axle right away for the trailer which is my only immediate need with all this. If so I'll slap on the dually wheels for now and use it to fit test the hummer wheels and tires.

Like I said earlier a cnc axle wont fit between the frame rails/ springs on a standard truck.

Edit.. I should say the frame/springs wont fit between the backing plates on a cnc rear, don't need to add any more to the confusion here!

Old 06-01-2013, 09:47 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bashby
Like I said earlier a cnc axle wont fit between the frame rails/ springs on a standard truck.
Others disagree, even in this thread, and I'm sure there not all the same. I'll find out for sure when I get my hands on one. Till then, no point in arguing it.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I am running (4) 12.50 wide tires and I am @100" and they are still 2.5" beyond the fenders
That is on 6" wide wheels and 2" spacers between the wheels.
I have about 2" between the inner dual and leaf. only about 1" between inner dual and air bags with modifications

The only way I can think of you running (4) 9" wheels with (4) 12 tires would be to cut your frame off behind the cab and weld on a cab-n-chassis frame.
Then you would have 2" inches to work with. But I still dont think you would have enough room to run (4) 12.50 tires on 9" rims on the outside of a 34" frame

As for the front d60 hubs. FORD ONLY will work

Old 06-01-2013, 09:54 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
not at all.i don't know how wide that axle is.i just knew it wasn't a whopping 4" wider.im not that bad with a tape.
like i said i thought it was the same width as the srw pickup axle.sure looked it to me.if Brad says it's maybe 1 or 2" wider.....im still surprised,but he owns both axles.he would know better,but i could tell easily enough the cab n chassis axle was far,far too narrow (very closely resembled the srw pickup axle) that a yard incorrectly sent me once.
it's not confusing at all.i just don' have exact measurements.i knew it wouldn't work.not even close.so i didn't bother writing stuff down.it was of no interest to me.i held up a tape to the axle between backing plates of the CnC axle (but i don't recall what it was) then i held a tape up to the current srw axle in my truck.it's hard when it's in the truck cus you can't put the tape right in there where you need.......it looked exact to me by eyeballing it.so i knew a 4" difference was out of the question.-Brad just cleared that up and confirmed it's no where as wide either.notice he said it was maybe 1-2" wider rather than 4" after measuring again (just look up.he cleared it up just a post or two ago.)

when a different yard sent me the pickup drw axle.........there was little point of getting the tape measure out.it was obvious she was the real deal.a greatly wider beast that there is simply no mistaking.......but i set the tape across her before loading just for kicks and giggles.it was wider than even i read it was too.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:56 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster

if you had a cab n chassis things would be much different.
you could use the lower cost direct bolt in CnC axle or a SRW axle buy moving the spring hangers inward.we know you can do this because a guy here did it in his build thread.user "fdude" - fdude460? or the like.but that's off topic and no concern to you either.
This what your talking about?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ld-thread.html

Old 06-01-2013, 10:02 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
yes.that's it! he has an f350 Cab and chassis.
look through his thread and you'll see he used a SRW pickup axle (you have to keep reading,cus the first axle iirc didn't hold up,or was junk or something.this is when he sourced the srw pickup axle the second time around-been a bit since i read it.) this is known because he said he had to move his spring hangers for it to bolt up.
you might ask him if he noticed a different spacing between his springs and tires before and after the axle swap.if he says yes,then Brad is correct.but already this tells us that the srw pickup axle is "wide enough" to work in an f350 CnC to run duals ya see?
we know he didn't use a DRW pickup axle due to the fact that he would have a massively wider stance that would make the tires stick way,way out away from his narrow CnC frame ya see? we know he didn't use a bolt in CnC axle because he wouldn't have had to move his spring hangers.leaving only one option....he must of used the f250/f350 srw sterling 10.25 as a process of elimination.thus we learn the srw axle is at least wide enough to run duals for a cab n chassis (be it that the cab n cassis is or is not a different width than a srw sterling.)

still doesn't change the fact that the only axle to use in a f350 pickup to run duals (even though you hate to hear it lol) would need to be the "true" drw axle though.so don't let me confuse you.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Others disagree, even in this thread, and I'm sure there not all the same. I'll find out for sure when I get my hands on one. Till then, no point in arguing it.
Who has disagreed other than YOU?!?!?

A c-n-c axle has a 52" backing plate to backing plate measurement
SRW pickup has a 53 1/4" measurement
DRW pickup has a 58 1/4" measurement

Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I am running (4) 12.50 wide tires and I am @100" and they are still 2.5" beyond the fenders
That is on 6" wide wheels and 2" spacers between the wheels.
I have about 2" between the inner dual and leaf. only about 1" between inner dual and air bags with modifications

The only way I can think of you running (4) 9" wheels with (4) 12 tires would be to cut your frame off behind the cab and weld on a cab-n-chassis frame.
Then you would have 2" inches to work with. But I still dont think you would have enough room to run (4) 12.50 tires on 9" rims on the outside of a 34" frame

As for the front d60 hubs. FORD ONLY will work

I'll give you this Brad, you do have some pretty trucks. Mine are rather ugly right now.

Those are 12.5! What make, style, exact size, etc plz so I can look them up?

On a 6" wheel isn't that a big no no?

I'm basing my stuff off measuring and looking up details on my 37x12.5 Intercos. Interco doesn't want them on any wheel narrower then 8.75 and although they say they're 12.5s, on the wheel I have them on now(not sure width 8-10) they are about 14.5 at the outside of the bulge.

As for fitting (4) 9" wide wheels, I think it's doable. If you could measure your wheel lips between the 2 wheels what ya think it would be, about 6"? Seems to me the limiting factor is the actual total width of the tire, not the wheel.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:19 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Who has disagreed other than YOU?!?!?

A c-n-c axle has a 52" backing plate to backing plate measurement
SRW pickup has a 53 1/4" measurement
DRW pickup has a 58 1/4" measurement
I really don't know, but I would say that by those measurements the backing plate would only be 5/8" closer to the spring. Hardest part with that would be the brake line to the wheel cylinder.

Anyway mute at this point till I sort out if wheel and tires will fit as I like. And really that's down the road anyway. For the trailer, yeah not gunna bother with a CnC axle.

Edit, I could always move my springs under the frame, be good to get rid of the lift block anyway.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:31 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
What would you all have to say about the axle from a 86 F350 dually, isn't that right about the cutoff point between a D70 and 10.25?

I can get the whole truck that it's in for $350

Old 06-01-2013, 10:35 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 86 cnc dump truck has the 10.25 in it. I think the cutoff was 84 or 85. Is it close enough to go look at? Easiest way to tell is to look for the fill plug in the cover... I think danas are in the cover and sterlings are in the casting, I may have that backwards.

Edit: just looked at my 92 10.25, the fill plug is not in the cover.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:50 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bashby
My 86 cnc dump truck has the 10.25 in it. I think the cutoff was 84 or 85. Is it close enough to go look at? Easiest way to tell is to look for the fill plug in the cover... I think danas are in the cover and sterlings are in the casting, I may have that backwards.

Edit: just looked at my 92 10.25, the fill plug is not in the cover.
Yeah it's probably a 30-45 min drive away, guy says it's a 460 C6 crew, dually 2wd that just needs a starter, but no title, hmmm.

Yes 10.25 is in the casting.

So what's a pickup dually 10.25 worth?

Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
I'll give you this Brad, you do have some pretty trucks. Mine are rather ugly right now.

Those are 12.5! What make, style, exact size, etc plz so I can look them up?

On a 6" wheel isn't that a big no no?

I'm basing my stuff off measuring and looking up details on my 37x12.5 Intercos. Interco doesn't want them on any wheel narrower then 8.75 and although they say they're 12.5s, on the wheel I have them on now(not sure width 8-10) they are about 14.5 at the outside of the bulge.

As for fitting (4) 9" wide wheels, I think it's doable. If you could measure your wheel lips between the 2 wheels what ya think it would be, about 6"? Seems to me the limiting factor is the actual total width of the tire, not the wheel.
Kelly TSRs 315/75/16 on Alcoa 16x6 wheels
each tire mounted measures 12" side wall to side wall
The tread width is 10.5"

And YES, it in Not recommended by the tire maker to run that wide of a tire on that narrow of a rim, they recommend 8-10" But dually wheels ONLY come in 6". They only thing that will happen running them like this is uneven wear.

What do you mean by wheel well lip? the total width of the dually bed?(92") or the inner wheel well under the truck?(50")

Quick Reply: Stoooopid Dually Questions