Sponsored by: DP Tuner

3 new trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 PM
boulderguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 new trouble codes

Anyone want to take a guess at what's going on here? Three trouble codes just popped up on an '02 E350 7.3 -

P1211 IPR ICP pressure above/below desired - IPR valve failed, stuck, or shorted to ground
P1248 MAP Turbo boost pressure not detected - MAP hose, sensor, EBP sys, intake leaks, turbo
P0605 PCED Internal control module ROM error - Internal PCM failure

Old 05-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Just popped up? Are you saying your check engine light came on and the truck is running poorly and you scanned and found these codes?

Or are you saying your truck is running fine, no check engine light but you decided to pull the codes and see what comes up? If the latter...then clear the codes and see if any of them come back.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:28 PM
boulderguy
Senior User
I guess that wasn't much info huh

Specifically, truck was in use for the last 2 weeks, about 1000 mi of light use. CEL came on about 100 miles ago as the truck went over a pass at 11,000' or so, been on since. Pulled codes, cleared, CEL returned. Truck runs fine under normal light loads but there's no turbo pulling for sure.

350k miles, replaced injectors & turbo with OEM about 6k ago. No rough idle or startup issues, just no turbo & CEL remains solidly lit.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by boulderguy
I guess that wasn't much info huh

Specifically, truck was in use for the last 2 weeks, about 1000 mi of light use. CEL came on about 100 miles ago as the truck went over a pass at 11,000' or so, been on since. Pulled codes, cleared, CEL returned. Truck runs fine under normal light loads but there's no turbo pulling for sure.

350k miles, replaced injectors & turbo with OEM about 6k ago. No rough idle or startup issues, just no turbo & CEL remains solidly lit.
Ok, that extra info helps.
Check for boost leaks. Intake boots might be loose, torn or simply popped off. Also check the MAP line. Sometimes the swivel elbow can pop out of the spider (intake manifold). Sometimes the connector doesn't get plugged in completely and the MAP sensor goes off line.

Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2013, 05:43 PM
boulderguy
Senior User
Good info, thanks, will check all that. Since there've been no changes under the hood it seems unlikely something just popped loose during highway travel, my sense is there's a mechanical failure somewhere.

Was hoping that those three codes would point to a single failure somewhere that would trigger a cascade effect, like the IPR valve for example.

Still, I'm all about simple solutions, will check everything you mentioned, thx.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
...as the truck went over a pass at 11,000' or so, been on since.
Did your truck get louder than normal lately? Do you have any gauges? Were you towing or in OD over the pass? Soot safari is in your future.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 PM
boulderguy
Senior User
No gauges, no towing, doesn't seem abnormally loud, probably in OD over the pass (I wasn't in it at the time) but that's not unusual, just two people & luggage in there.

What's soot safari?

Old 05-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Good info, thanks, will check all that. Since there've been no changes under the hood it seems unlikely something just popped loose during highway travel, my sense is there's a mechanical failure somewhere.

Was hoping that those three codes would point to a single failure somewhere that would trigger a cascade effect, like the IPR valve for example.

Still, I'm all about simple solutions, will check everything you mentioned, thx.
I have seen P1211 and P1247 codes occur together....along with an SES light, and the issue was a dirty fuel filter. The vehicle was an Excursion though. We replaced the fuel filter and the light turned off and no more codes.

Your code is P1248 which says that no boost was detected so that is what makes me think a boot has blown off or torn....or the MAP sensor line is compromised....or maybe the sensor isn't plugged in....or maybe the sensor has failed.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
...I wasn't in it at the time...

What's soot safari?
I was looking at that boost trouble code, and there are two common causes:
  • The exhaust may have gotten a bit warm (high EGTs) and it was the coffin nail for your Up pipes, or maybe one of your manifolds. If you examine the whole exhaust system under the hood for soot, that's the sign of an exhaust leak (boost killer).
  • You may have a leak after the turbo as mentioned by Shake-N-Bake. You can research "Boost Leak Detector" in this section of the forum.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:57 PM
boulderguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
[FONT=Georgia]
  • The exhaust may have gotten a bit warm (high EGTs) and it was the coffin nail for your Up pipes, or maybe one of your manifolds. If you examine the whole exhaust system under the hood for soot, that's the sign of an exhaust leak (boost killer).
  • You may have a leak after the turbo as mentioned by Shake-N-Bake. You can research "Boost Leak Detector" in this section of the forum.
Would either of these account for the IPR valve issue?

Old 05-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Would either of these account for the IPR valve issue?
Nope, that one's on its own. Taking more time to read the whole thread a second time, it's possible you have a bad ICP... lying to the PCM about what the IPR is doing. I had this once - the ICP usually reads higher than the oil pressure really is, prompting the IPR to underpower the truck. Inspecting the ICP sensor connector may show oil in there (fail).

I have got to stop getting in the habit of reading "low boost" and thinking leak. You may have low boost because you have low fueling - are you getting soot out the tailpipe when you call for power? If not, boost is not the problem - fueling is (ICP sensor is one suspect).

Old 05-19-2013, 03:25 PM
boulderguy
Senior User
OK, checked out all the obvious stuff I could, everything looks intact. Since there's no change in engine noise I'm going to rule out significant up pipe leaking. At this point I'm probably heading for the diesel shop. Thanks for the help all.