Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Triple pillar gauges ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Dogdare
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
No, I haven't really looked for the product.

Where did you get it? Price?

Stewart
Got it thru Amazon. Probably not the cheapest, but I didn't want to drive around town looking. Shipping took a while, but the 4th of July was between the time I ordered it and the time it showed up.

Amazon.com: 3M 05205-TB Marine Adhesive Sealant, 3 oz Tube, Black: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: 3M 05205-TB Marine Adhesive Sealant, 3 oz Tube, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Herb

Old 07-20-2013, 08:48 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I'm personally apprehensive of this, even though I like it: I'm six foot tall, 75% of which is torso. I like my rearview way up high to keep the mirror from blocking my view of the vehicles to my right in an intersection. This is more a personal problem, but one that could be shared by the Brotherhood of the Big-n-tall Buyers Brigade. I took the low road:

I am constucted the same way Tugly. I cannot fit in most cars, especially now that they all seem to have sun roofs and side curtain air bags (which take up two more inches of ceiling height)

How do you like it when you have a passenger that puts their visor down? For me it's like driving with a sheet of plywood covering up the right half of your windshield

Old 07-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb56
How do you like it when you have a passenger that puts their visor down?
I hate it. I'm forever flipping the visor back up when my wife rides with me because she likes it down, whether the sun is out or not.

Stewart

Old 07-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I hate it. I'm forever flipping the visor back up when my wife rides with me because she likes it down, whether the sun is out or not.

Stewart
Silly... that's where the mirror is. What were you thinking?

To compensate for this, I just drive with my head out the window... tongue hanging out like the family dog.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Dogdare
Junior User
FAIL

3M Marine Adhesive 5200 between the windshield and the velcro is coming off the windshield. Careful, unrushed prep, including an acetone wipedown prior to applying the adhesive (I then let the wipedown dry for an hour or more), and I let the adhesive cure for days before removing the support to the gauge pod.

Herb

Originally Posted by Dogdare
Got it thru Amazon. Probably not the cheapest, but I didn't want to drive around town looking. Shipping took a while, but the 4th of July was between the time I ordered it and the time it showed up.

Amazon.com: 3M 05205-TB Marine Adhesive Sealant, 3 oz Tube, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Herb

Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
FAIL
Good to know.

I never did find any of it around here anyway.

Stewart

Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Dogdare
Junior User
OK, on a motorcylce forum, someone recommended 3M Dual Lock to mount something to their fairing. I've used Dual Lock before for a different application and I liked it, so I started researching. Ended up calling 3M and asking what particular Dual Lock they recommended for high heat applications. Here's a link they provided to a particular product.

I ordered some of eBay, and will report back on success or yet another failure. I think this is round 3 or 4 for me.

RF9730

Not really looking forward to cleaning off that black 3M adhesive I used though.

Herb

Old 08-31-2013, 07:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I apologize for leading you down the path to the outhouse on that one. I guess 3M 5200 needs a more porous surface to stick. I've used 5200 many times, but I only use it on stuff that's going to be permanent, or it's a safety concern (like sealing underwater fittings on a boat). I have never seen that stuff "let go"... but I hadn't tried glass yet.

You say you're not looking forward to removing it. Did it come off the glass, but you need to remove it from something else?

Old 08-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Dogdare
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I apologize for leading you down the path to the outhouse on that one. I guess 3M 5200 needs a more porous surface to stick. I've used 5200 many times, but I only use it on stuff that's going to be permanent, or it's a safety concern (like sealing underwater fittings on a boat). I have never seen that stuff "let go"... but I hadn't tried glass yet.

You say you're not looking forward to removing it. Did it come off the glass, but you need to remove it from something else?
No worries, what I had before wasn't working, so I tried something new. Gotta break some eggs...

It's coming off the windshield, but it's not coming off cleanly. Right now I'm still in the mode of pushing the gauge pod back in place before driving so I haven't cleaned the 5200 off yet, and I'll keep doing that until the Dual Lock I ordered shows up and I have time to install it.

Herb

Old 01-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Dogdare
Junior User
OK, on a motorcylce forum, someone recommended 3M Dual Lock to mount something to their fairing. I've used Dual Lock before for a different application and I liked it, so I started researching. Ended up calling 3M and asking what particular Dual Lock they recommended for high heat applications. Here's a link they provided to a particular product.

I ordered some of eBay, and will report back on success or yet another failure. I think this is round 3 or 4 for me.

RF9730

Not really looking forward to cleaning off that black 3M adhesive I used though.

Herb
Haven't been back to the forum in a while, but so far, so good with the 3M Dual Lock, it hasn't budged at all. I will have to say though, I installed it last Fall, and have only really had a week or so of hot temps since, so the real test will be to see how well it does next Summer. I also haven't tried to separate the two postions of the Dual Lock, so I can't vouch for the adhesive staying in place while doing that.

Herb

P.S. I noticed the link to the 3M website isn't valid anymore, so here's a link to it on Amazon, just so everyone knows what I'm talking about.

Amazon.com: Scotch Reclosable Fasteners, Clear, 1 x 3-Inches, 2 Sets (RF9730): Office Products Amazon.com: Scotch Reclosable Fasteners, Clear, 1 x 3-Inches, 2 Sets (RF9730): Office Products

Old 01-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
... so far, so good with the 3M Dual Lock, it hasn't budged at all.

here's a link to it on Amazon, just so everyone knows what I'm talking about.

Amazon.com: Scotch Reclosable Fasteners, Clear, 1 x 3-Inches, 2 Sets (RF9730): Office Products
Since that link doesn't say "Dual Lock," just for the sake of clarity, that is the product you used when you reference the 3M Dual Lock, correct?

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 01-24-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Dogdare
Junior User
Since that link doesn't say "Dual Lock," just for the sake of clarity, that is the product you used when you reference the 3M Dual Lock, correct?

Stewart
You got it. Here's another Amazon link that has the same 3M part number, but also mentions Dual Lock.

3M RF9730 "SCOTCH" DUAL LOCK RECLOSABLE FASTENERS 1"x3" - CLEAR - Amazon.com 3M RF9730 "SCOTCH" DUAL LOCK RECLOSABLE FASTENERS 1"x3" - CLEAR - Amazon.com

Herb

Old 01-24-2014, 10:56 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Thanks!

Stewart

Old 01-25-2014, 12:39 AM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 90pioneer
What he said.

And make sure you figure out exactly what order you want the gauges in first so you dont have to change them around like I did. Instructions recommended pyro gauge at the top but for me that is the hardest one to see while driving.

+1 I had mine all arranged with the egt gauge on top. It was the hardest to see. Was a pain rewiring them.

I have fuel pressure on top, then boost, then trans temp, and then egt.

I also have the autometer under dash 3 gauge pod with my DP tuner, aero force gauge, and coolant temp gauge.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
You got it. Here's another Amazon link that has the same 3M part number, but also mentions Dual Lock.

3M RF9730 "SCOTCH" DUAL LOCK RECLOSABLE FASTENERS 1"x3" - CLEAR - Amazon.com

Herb
I just used this to re-attach my pod to the windshield a few weeks ago. Hoping this will hold when the summer sun heats it up.

This thread was just posted and it looks like McMaster has an equivalent product as the Scotch Dual Lock at a much better price.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14259810

Stewart

Quick Reply: Triple pillar gauges ?