Oil Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 10:36 PM
HD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Drain Plug

Hey everyone,

I have a question. I changed my oil a couple weeks ago and took a good look at the oil pan drain plug, which was already pretty worn. Just about all the threads are gone. I was extremely careful reinstalling it, and it went in fine. I checked the pan hole and the threads in it seem to look ok. I dont want to reuse my original drain plug anymore, Im afraid it will strip out anytime. I know I can get these things at part stores, but I dont know what size plug I should get. Does anyone know? Also, would I be better off to get a magnetic drain plug while Im at it? Thanks in advance.

Chris

Old 06-04-2003, 10:57 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Drain Plug

I think most stores will carry the "piggyback" style plugs - where you have a drain plug inside of a drainplug. The outside one replaces your factory plug, and use some loctite to secure it in there so it won't come out anytime soon. Then the other plug in the center is your new drain plug. Pep Boys and NAPA both carry the plugs and they'll have the book there that tells you which plug to buy.

Either way, there is a solution to your problem. Your other option is to buy one of those B&M drain plug kits, where you drill the hole. In that case, just use a bunch of loctite to glue in your factory worn out plug and drill a hole for the new one. You will have to pull the pan if you go this route.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

XXL

Old 06-05-2003, 02:54 PM
thelonerangerxlt
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil Drain Plug

Another option would be to put a Fumoto drain valve in it. I have them in all my vehicles, and they work very well.
Drain Valve

Old 06-05-2003, 02:59 PM
c96drumm
Laughing Gas
Oil Drain Plug

I bought a magnetic drain plug at NAPA a while back that fit my existing drain hole just fine. They also have nonmagnetic direct replacements, I believe. If the threads in the pan are OK, that's what I'd do. Not sure how much good the magnet does, but I'm real sure it don't hurt anything.

Old 06-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil Drain Plug

Same as c96drumm said - if threads in pan are fine, just go get another factory style plug - BUT make sure that the gasket fits right.

Old 06-05-2003, 03:59 PM
WillieTD
Senior User
Oil Drain Plug

I just saw an apparently new product that Fram has put out called Suredrain. It's a drain plug that comes with a short length of hose that you scew on:
Seems like a sound idea but I was actually thinking of switching to a magnetic plug with my next oil change.

Old 06-05-2003, 11:16 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Oil Drain Plug

I have a fram suredrain - it works great! No more burning my hands.

XXL

Old 06-05-2003, 11:39 PM
bronco351
Posting Guru
Oil Drain Plug

You could just take your old bolt to Home-Depot and pick up a new one!!!

Old 06-06-2003, 12:42 AM
kevin71100
Senior User
Oil Drain Plug

I had (have) the same problem. I bought a thread cutting bolt and use a 1/2" teflon gasket to keep the drips in check. Got to replace it every oil change though. Check NAPA for the bolt.

Old 06-06-2003, 11:26 PM
HD
Senior User
Oil Drain Plug

Wow. Thanks for all the great ideas! It looks I have a lot to research into. Its holdin' the oil in great right now, but its goin in the trash by next oil change time. Once again, I appreciate all the great ideas. Hope I can help yall someday.

Chris

Old 06-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Turban Hunter
New User
Oil Drain Plug

I thought I should throw in my two cents. I just had the same problem; I went to NAPA and got a replacement plug. They make plugs that are one and two sizes over. Try to use the same size plug innitially. if it doesn't seize, then use the one size over. These plugs are self tapping.

Plugs are made with soft metal on purpose so you don't have to worry about stripping out your threads on the oil pan. Typically plugs are less than $5 each. I personally don't like the gasket they came with though. I purchased a gasket that was more flexable that the plastic style included with these plugs.

I have never tried the drain valves. I think it is a good idea for those that do not have a lowered vehicle or go off road. I use my 4x4 off road all the time so I'd be afraid to use it.

Old 06-08-2003, 04:12 AM
HD
Senior User
Oil Drain Plug

Turban hunter,

Are you saying that the drain plug will conform to threads that are already in the pan?

Chris

Old 06-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Turban Hunter
New User
Oil Drain Plug

That's right. have the guy at the parts counter look up the right one ofr you or call your dealership to get the correct plug and have the parts place cross reference that number.

It will be the same tread pattern as your oil pan. If fo some reason you can't get a tight seal and there is a slight oil leak, go to the i size over plug. The plug should be stamped to show it is a 1 size over.

If you are using a plug versus a bolt, you should never strip the threads in your oil pan. Some people expect the plugs to wear out and purchase a new plug every 10 or so oil changes. I typically keep a spare. The only reason I didn't have one this time was it was a new, bigger motor. I wasn't the one who installed the motor, hense the plug was overtighened. I rarely let anyone change my oil. IMO these quick change places always overighten the plug and the filters.

Good Luck

Old 06-08-2003, 10:59 PM
jagabom
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Oil Drain Plug

I have the one from Fram. Don't but a new oil pan bolt, but the Fram kit. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

Jim

Old 06-10-2003, 10:43 PM
HD
Senior User
Oil Drain Plug

Ive always thought that the oil drain plug was a bolt. Theyre not the same thing?

Chris

Quick Reply: Oil Drain Plug