Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Bough a truck...but I've got problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 PM
V8Notch
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bough a truck...but I've got problems...

So I picked this up last week. 2005 F350 V10 Auto XLT 75k miles. I've been loving it. It's replacing a 4.0 Ranger so it's a bit different!

But....yesterday we had some rain and then it turned into a snow storm.

Truck was great until the check engine light came on.

P0452 - Evap Emissions System Pressure Sensor/Switch Low

I cleared it hoping it was nothing....

An couple hours later it I was waiting in a parking lot and it started to stumble and miss. I could smell it was running strange. I was able to get home a few blocks away. This morning the check engine light was on and I pulled these codes.

P0452 Evap Emissions System Pressure Sensor/Switch Low
P0191 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
P2196 O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich Bank 1 Sensor 1
P2198 O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich Bank 2 Sensor 1

How should I proceed?

Where is the Evap sensor? Can I clean it or do I just replace it? I can't seem to find it on rockauto.

Weather has been in the 50's and then down to 14. Should I be worried about water in the gas?

Previous owner had the fuel pump changed so I'm thinking I should change the filter as start.

Any other ideas?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would try looking up the warranty that came on the 2005 Superduty gas trucks. I know on some of the later trucks the Emissions Warranty was for 8 years/80,000 miles.

Depending on the in service date IE: date your truck was originally sold there is a slim chance that the emission portion of the warranty could still be in effect. If so most of what you have mentioned should/could be covered.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Or a simple call to your local dealership service dept along with your VIN could answer that question for you real quick also.

Good Luck.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 AM
V8Notch
5th Wheeling
I'm out of warranty....too bad I would have been happy to have someone else deal with this.

So where should I start?

Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is some info that might help you :

Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input indicates a low voltage problem in the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor (FTPS). What the fuel FTP sensor does is convert fuel tank absolute pressure into electrical signals and inputs the signal to the ECM/PCM, (Computer).

First thing to do is make sure the gas cap is good and tightened properly. Then check the vacuum lines and wiring at the FTPS (Location-Fuel Tank) to be sure they are good, clean and tight.
Barring a wiring problem it can be a bad FTPS or PCM.
Here is a method to test the sensor :

A P0453 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:
  • Open on FTP sensor signal wire
  • Short to voltage on FTP sensor signal wire
  • Bad FTP sensor
  • Abnormally high pressure in fuel tank due to blockage in EVAP purge hoses or overfilled tank
  • Loose/damaged FTP sensor connector
  • Loss of ground to the sensor
Possible Solutions

Using an scan tool access FTP sensor value with Key on Engine off (KOEO). Normal value is usually somewhere near 2.5 Volts at atmospheric pressure (may fluctuate some due to altitude). It shouldn't ever be above 4.5 Volts.

1) If it is close to 2.7V with the gas cap off, the problem is likely intermittent. Using a Digital Volt Ohm Meter, measure the voltage on the signal wire while trying to induce the problem by wiggle testing all the wiring at the FTP sensor. If the voltage fluctuates when wiggle testing, check for connector problems; i.e. water in the connector, broken or chafed wiring.

2) If the value shown on the scan tool is above 4.5V, unplug the sensor (if possible) and check for voltage again. If the high voltage is still present when unplugged, inspect wiring harness for a short to voltage on the signal wire. If the high voltage disappears when unplugging the sensor, check for a good ground to the sensor and proper reference voltage. If you have a good ground and 5 Volts reference voltage, replace the FTP sensor since it's likely shorted out.

Good luck,

Old 04-15-2013, 12:28 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If memory serves me right this was a fairly common issue on that year truck.

This is what the setup looks like. I believe it is towards the rear of the truck. There is a vent solenoid and purge valve with the canister. Rock Auto has both.

More Information for MOTORCRAFT CX2145

MOTORCRAFT Part # CX2145 {#6C3Z9D653F}
Canister, Bracket & Hoses; 5C34-9E857-AD $214.79

The system is an emissions component so it is listed under "Emission" on Rock Autos site.

I'm out of warranty....too bad I would have been happy to have someone else deal with this.

So where should I start?
Sometimes the emissions warrenty will supersede the standard warrenty.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM
V8Notch
5th Wheeling
So my scanner can only display the actual pressure.

Same reading with the cap on or off. So I'm assuming this is wrong. Its cold and snowy so I haven't looked for the tank pressure sensor. I'm assuming its on the top on the gas tank.

It looks like there is a TSB for the charcoal canister. I looked underneath and my understanding is the vent line is supposed to be run to the bed cross member so I don't think this has been replaced.

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/ti...sb08-04-12.pdf

Am I chasing 2 problems or are these related?

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My manual evaporative diagnostic says" :

Access PCM PID FTP V (thru a scanner ) and record the reading .

Is the PID FTP V reading between 2.40 and 2.80 Volts.

It appears that the gas tank might have to come down (at least half way ) in order to reach the sensor . That is bad news , and I am hearing that there is no quick way to diagnose EVAP system .

Suggestion :

Double check your gas tank cap . Is it an original cap ? and what is the condition of the O-ring seal? You may want to replace the cap/seal if it is not in good shape .

Erase the error codes ( either by removing battery cables or thru your scanner ) . See if the DTC code come back .

(Also, double check all your vacuum hoses on EVAP system )

Good luck,
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM
V8Notch
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Wolfboro
My manual evaporative diagnostic says" :

Access PCM PID FTP V (thru a scanner ) and record the reading .

Is the PID FTP V reading between 2.40 and 2.80 Volts.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Can my scanner do this? The manual isn't real helpful. I tried changing units but can only get it in inH2O. It's at -18inH20 with the gas cap on or off. I'm guessing this is not reading correctly.

I'm in the process of pulling the spare tire holder so I can access the evap canister and check some hoses. I'll report back.

What about the codes about running rich?