Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tranny Issue - Ideas to Check?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Tranny Issue - Ideas to Check?

OK, fairly new BTS trans (Jan, 2013), even newer DP Tuner (probably not a factor, but threw it in here just for info). 2002 truck, no mech. diode (wouldn't be one anyway if BTS rebuilt, right?).

Last week, once, while running in 60e and mildly accelerating away from a stop light the truck didn't want to upshift from 2-3 (I thought, but in retrospect, it was 1-2). Manual gear selection worked and everything was fine.

Monday of this week, pulling the trailer and running in 20T tune starting up a steep interstate hill from 65 mph, speed kept dropping as I pushed throttle to the floor, tranny stayed in OD even when I pressed the button and OD Off light came on. Dropped down to around 55 before I switched to stock tune, tranny downshifted and everything seemed to be fine. Happened one more time in 20T, so I switched back to stock and stayed there.

Contacted Jody on the issue, figuring it was tuning related. He said to check speed sensors or TPS. Haven't done anything yet and it hadn't acted up again until just a little while ago. It is now consistently not wanting up do a 1-2 upshift in stock or 60E tune. It will run up to about 2800 rpm and then slam into 2nd (or will shift if I manually select 2nd on the shift lever). The last time it did it, pulling into our campground just now, the OD light started flashing.

Grabbed my AE and pulled the following (related) codes:

P0732 - Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
P0755 - Shift Solenoid B
P0781 - 1-2 Shift Malfunction

Game plan is to check the OSS connector and/or OSS. In a thread on another forum (found doing a Google search), I saw Mark Kovalsky recommend "logging the data" to narrow down the same issue someone else was having with their tranny. I assume this is something I can do with AE?

Thoughts and comments welcomed. Have AE and can test whatever. Am away from home currently (in Lexington, KY area right now) so don't know any good mechanics, if needed. I do have a pretty complete set of common hand tools.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't run a tuner simply because I see more people with tuners have trans problems than people running stock.

But it is also quite possible that it has nothing to do with the tuner.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would pull the chip and see if the issue returns.
When I got my BTS I had a DP tuner and Brian set up my valve body for 80e. I had no issues until i hooked up my 5'r & put my tuner in 60tow. The trans and tuner did not play well together at all.

When I tried to accelerate on up hill climbs the trans would not downshift unless I put the pedal to the floor and if I lifted just a smidge it would immediately would go back into 4th and lug.
I was so frustrated that I pulled the chip and finished my 1000 mile trip with no more issues.
I sold my DP, had Brian send me his chip and I haven't had any strange shifting issues since.

I'm not flaming anyone or pointing fingers, so please don't misinterpretate this post.
I just don't think those tunes and your trans will ever play well together.

Give Brian a shout and see what he says. Did you tell Brian you were going to add a tuner in the near future and which tuner? He sets up the valve body's accordingly.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:33 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Thanks for the replies so far. I pulled my tuner and no change (and am contemplating running without, since it did surprisingly well through the hills of KY in stock tune when I was having issues Tuesday).

I did hook up AE (and had logged data, but overwrote the file after I got back by hitting "Record" again ... grr). But from watching some of the inputs (I selected various things that looked like transmission-related items), I got the following behaviors:

Output Shaft Speed (I assume this is the fabled OSS output): 0 at rest, climbs in value proportional to speed, as one would expect.

Turbine Input Speed (or something like that): Would vary both with engine and vehicle speed, but would drop to 0 in second gear. Only showed values in first gear.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Originally Posted by Franko72
Give Brian a shout and see what he says. Did you tell Brian you were going to add a tuner in the near future and which tuner? He sets up the valve body's accordingly.
I'll probably give him a shout tomorrow, anyway, unless I get something solid to go on from here tonight.

I told Brian that I was running stock. He didn't ask about putting a chip on until after he had the tranny back up in the truck. He burnt me a 60tow and we adjusted some shift points. However, I didn't have gauges at the time, so ended up pulling it. I put the DP in later.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:19 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Bump for an update. After determining speed sensors were fine, electrical looks fine, no blown fuses, and after a chat with Brian on the phone, we've pretty much figured that I have a bad shift solenoid.

We'll be in Lead Hill bright and early Monday morning to get it taken care of.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Sounds like an easy fix.
Let him know about your tuner, he may change tweak the valve body for your favorite tune.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Originally Posted by Franko72
Sounds like an easy fix.
Let him know about your tuner, he may change tweak the valve body for your favorite tune.
I'll ask him about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by MTalley
I'll ask him about it. Thanks for the reminder.
Come to think of it...If you told Jody that you had a BTS he may have adjusted the tunes to Brian's trans.

I just remember Brian asking me what tune I was in most of the time (80e) and he did something to the shift plate IIRC , Kent favored 60T and Brian tweaked his VB for that tune.
Honestly it's all brain surgery to me. He'll know what to do

Old 04-06-2013, 07:30 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Actually, Jody did give me his latest "BTS Tunes", so I guess that's taken care of. I'll let Brian know, nonetheless.

We left Lexington, KY this morning and made it to Cuba, MO before I called it a day. I forgot how hilly southern Indiana is. Also, it got really windy in Illinois and Missouri. Hills and wind don't bode well when you don't have 3rd gear (found that out about 10 minutes into the trip) and when the truck stops unlocking the TC in OD on the hills (right after St. Louis).

Old 04-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
No 3'rd....ugh. that's got to suck. At least its going into 4th or that would be one long trip.

I hope you make it ok.
I'm heading out at 7am driving straight thru to Houston myself.
Keep us updated.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Made it to Branson, MO (which is as far as I wanted to try to go pulling the trailer). At least today the tranny decided to let me have TC unlock in 4th. Made a couple of hills easier to grunt over. The hills on US 65 near Branson are killers. 40-45 most of the way up and over them. (All tuners removed right now, running stock).

Only peaked out my EGTs once or twice today (1250 F). It was beeping at me quite a few times yesterday grinding the Missouri I-44 hills in 4th locked up.

Heading out from the campground between 6:30 and 7:00 to head on down to Lead Hill (sans trailer - the wife is staying here in Branson for the day).

Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 AM
MTalley
More Turbo

In BTS at 8:00, out with a perfectly functioning tranny before 9:00. No charge. Gotta love Brian.

Even after several miles of long up hills pulling the fiver in 4th with the TC unlocked (warmed up enough to engage the fan clutch), Brian said the tranny fluid was just like new. Score one for the 6.0 cooler.

We briefly discussed tuning and he said I should be good to go with my DP tunes as-is.