Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

april BS thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Morning!!!! Spring might actually be here today!! Supposed to hit....the 60's!!!! lol and it only took til the end of April!!!

-The Great

Old 04-26-2013, 12:08 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I look out the window, and I see clouds...

The past couple days were nice. Too bad I had work/school

Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's cloudy ish in Renton as well. Sun breaks here and there though. All while I am sitting inside a big shed counting fittings and other crap. Exciting.

When I get home I need to buckle down and get this effed up brake line fixed.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Sean I thought about doing that but don't have any valid proof it was them. I could say hey towed my truck on this day, and now I have crushed brake lines, but without a picture of the hook on the line, hey would probably say that I could have damaged it between the time I filed and the time it got towed.
How ever if you don't ask you will never know and the next time the guy
loads a Bronco and crushed a line the owner may find out the hard way
and need EMTs after his ride spins out in traffic. ( HYPE I know )
Just ask them. And take a photo of the damage.

Sean

Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I have a few photos.

I could try and call I guess.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:50 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
well, i finally got rid of the annoying bouncy feel in my van by swapping the rear tires for a set i had just had balanced. now to take this pair in and have them balanced again. at least for the moment i'm riding smooth again.

today found me changing a rear main seal in a dodge diesel, that was fun. kinda screwed up my tranny jack in the process, it barely has any left-right tilt control, it just flops around now - made it a little scary with a tranny that must have been 300 pounds on it! but at least the truck sits high enough that i can sit up straight under it - that made it a lot easier than the bmw i've been under a couple days this week

dylan, even if the towing company doesn't want to help you out with your brake line, they at least need to be made aware that they damaged it so they don't do it again. and if they have any integrity, they'll try to make things right for you. your pic tells me the line was crushed by a smooth hook, actually 2 smooth hooks a few inches apart, or else the guy got it tight, slacked it off, moved the hook over, then pulled you up.
in any case, it obviously wasn't done by a chain or tow strap wrapped around it, as they would appear different. and very few people other than tow drivers carry the kind of hooks they use, which would leave that exact signature on the line.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:57 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades
well, i finally got rid of the annoying bouncy feel in my van by swapping the rear tires for a set i had just had balanced. now to take this pair in and have them balanced again. at least for the moment i'm riding smooth again.

today found me changing a rear main seal in a dodge diesel, that was fun. kinda screwed up my tranny jack in the process, it barely has any left-right tilt control, it just flops around now - made it a little scary with a tranny that must have been 300 pounds on it! but at least the truck sits high enough that i can sit up straight under it - that made it a lot easier than the bmw i've been under a couple days this week

dylan, even if the towing company doesn't want to help you out with your brake line, they at least need to be made aware that they damaged it so they don't do it again. and if they have any integrity, they'll try to make things right for you. your pic tells me the line was crushed by a smooth hook, actually 2 smooth hooks a few inches apart, or else the guy got it tight, slacked it off, moved the hook over, then pulled you up.
in any case, it obviously wasn't done by a chain or tow strap wrapped around it, as they would appear different. and very few people other than tow drivers carry the kind of hooks they use, which would leave that exact signature on the line.
I'm positive it was caused by the tow hooks. The guy had 2 huge hooks on his winch cable to drag the bronco up.

Sorta like these I think

I have a brake line coming into Autozone tomorrow and I'm going to match it up with the one I pulled off today to make sure it's correct. It was a PITA to get the line off cause I thought the nut that is connected to the rubber portion of hose was supposed to come loose. Turns out it's one whole unit...

Old 04-27-2013, 02:24 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Yeah, that hook is about what I expect. I was just confirming that the pic really does confirm the suspicion that the tow guy's hooks were the cause of the damage. Usually they have one of those hooks on each side of the vehicle, not two so close like that, so either his hook moved in the process or a previous towing event caused the second dent

Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades
Yeah, that hook is about what I expect. I was just confirming that the pic really does confirm the suspicion that the tow guy's hooks were the cause of the damage. Usually they have one of those hooks on each side of the vehicle, not two so close like that, so either his hook moved in the process or a previous towing event caused the second dent
I honestly couldn't tell ya which one it it is, I can't remember.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:07 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
So I think this time around since we have the camping trip set up for May, I won't bother with making a meet thread. A 4 day camping trip is quite a meet in itself. In terms of going, I plan to at least make it Friday through Sunday. I no longer work at the plumbing joint so I will be searching for a job to fuel my project filled wallet. All I can say is Plumbing isn't for everyone.

I plan to have a job before the camping trip be it part time or full time as long as it brings in money. That of course will hinder my plans of being there longer but I will try my best. And why am I posting it here instead of the camping trip thread? Because. That's why.

Anyways I just finished my candy bar so it's time to listen to more music and research the crap out of this bug.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:01 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
well, another day in paradise, and another evening of tinkering on the van. tonight i went out with the intent of installing the new center console i got from the junkyard for $3, got distracted by the rust hole in the left rear corner, dug out the can of bondo, but decided to first use some of that rust neutralizer spray stuff, so took a wire wheel to it, sprayed it down, and got distracted on other things. came back to it to find the paint around the area purple.
then i got distracted looking at replacing one of my toolboxes with one i plan to buy, and screwed around with a tape measure for an hour, then i finally got around to installing the center console i found, after only 2 or 3 hours of delay. the hardest part of installing it was sorting through the large crap-pile that was partially contained by the milk crate that used to hold my junk in that position.
so at the end of the night, the rust hole is still a hole but now has major paint stains around it, the toolbox i was thinking about still hasn't been bought or installed, but the center console is in place and half full of stuff.
i call it a productive night. whats new with you boys

as for that camping trip, i'll have to jump on board that thread, not sure if i'll make it or not, i'll figure that out when it gets closer

Old 04-29-2013, 02:12 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Sounds like a hell of a night Josh. I went to work on the beetle today with the intent of adjusting the valves, changing the oil and a few small things. Ended up adjusting the valves, oil, AND changing wheel bearings. The fronts were shot. When I wake up I need to get the seat belts working, seeing as they don't clip in.... Then replace a burned out turn signal bulb so I don't get pulled over with no insurance yet. Hmm, oh and 4 new tires... You thought your van had bad tires... Heh take a gander.

One side

Spun it 180*

I wouldn't take it above 20 when I was driving it... After the valve adjustment and oil change it started within the first few cranks. Got it off the plastic car ramps then ran it around the block once or twice. It ran pretty smooth for what it was and drove alright besides the crappy tires.

I was pretty surprised at how clean it was under the Valve Covers.

The valve were really tight and out of adjustment so we loosened them and it fixed it right up.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Well I worked until the afternoon today. It was slow as **** because of the rain, so I spent most of the time moving boxes of chemicals, old tools, amd cabinets in the back of our store.

Once I got home, I got a rare instance of "motivation to do something after work", so I got cracking on my 79. Got the radiator, a/c condenser, and trans cooler out, as well as the radiator support and one of the inner fenders. Then I got sidetracked by my 87, and did some work on that. Before I went in I took the truck for a spin to check and make sure everything was working correctly. Well one of the exhaust hangers was loose and suddenly released the pipe midship and the muffler banged into the uni joint on the spinning ds

Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jgavac
Well I worked until the afternoon today. It was slow as **** because of the rain, so I spent most of the time moving boxes of chemicals, old tools, amd cabinets in the back of our store.

Once I got home, I got a rare instance of "motivation to do something after work", so I got cracking on my 79. Got the radiator, a/c condenser, and trans cooler out, as well as the radiator support and one of the inner fenders. Then I got sidetracked by my 87, and did some work on that. Before I went in I took the truck for a spin to check and make sure everything was working correctly. Well one of the exhaust hangers was loose and suddenly released the pipe midship and the muffler banged into the uni joint on the spinning ds
Ouch I bet that made a Hell of a racket. I found you on the samba website haha.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Sounds like a hell of a night Josh. I went to work on the beetle today with the intent of adjusting the valves, changing the oil and a few small things. Ended up adjusting the valves, oil, AND changing wheel bearings. The fronts were shot. When I wake up I need to get the seat belts working, seeing as they don't clip in.... Then replace a burned out turn signal bulb so I don't get pulled over with no insurance yet. Hmm, oh and 4 new tires... You thought your van had bad tires... Heh take a gander.

One side

Spun it 180*

I wouldn't take it above 20 when I was driving it... After the valve adjustment and oil change it started within the first few cranks. Got it off the plastic car ramps then ran it around the block once or twice. It ran pretty smooth for what it was and drove alright besides the crappy tires.

I was pretty surprised at how clean it was under the Valve Covers.

The valve were really tight and out of adjustment so we loosened them and it fixed it right up.
0.003" intake and exhaust I hope.

Sean

Quick Reply: april BS thread