fuel solinoid - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

fuel solinoid

Old 03-23-2013, 04:03 PM
New User

Ozman001 is starting off with a positive reputation.
fuel solinoid

hey all, I got a question. I have a 1977 F-250 4X4 with a 400ci engine. There is some sort of solinoid (i think) in the fuel line near the carb. Can anyone tell me what it is and what it is for? I am having a fuel problem with my truck. After it runs for a while the filter (clear glass) isn;t filling up like it should so i am sputtering and stalling.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:05 PM
MSEE

fmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud of
How many lines in and out? Based on your description it does not sound factory. Can you post a picture of it?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Post Fiend

mikeo0o0o0 has much to be proud ofmikeo0o0o0 has much to be proud ofmikeo0o0o0 has much to be proud ofmikeo0o0o0 has much to be proud ofmikeo0o0o0 has much to be proud ofmikeo0o0o0 has much to be proud ofmikeo0o0o0 has much to be proud ofmikeo0o0o0 has much to be proud ofmikeo0o0o0 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc400 View Post
How many lines in and out? Based on your description it does not sound factory. Can you post a picture of it?
Agreed, if it's in the line from the fuel pump, that sounds non-factory. However if you're talking about the bowl vent, some applications do have a solenoid for that.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:51 PM
New User

Well I can't attach a pic because the website wants a url to the pic but the pic is on my computer. I think it is factory. I forgot to mention that the truck has 2 fuel tanks. Could it be for that? It has 1 line in and 1 line out. It sits right between the distributer and the coil. It is not attached to the carb or fuel pump but is in the line from the fuel pump to the carb. It has an electrical lead coming off of it also.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:59 PM
New User

I just created an album and uploaded the pic of this thing to it. the title of the album is "1977 toy"
Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Post Fiend

montana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud of
It looks like a fuel pressure regulator.

Try bypassing it and see if the problem persists.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 PM
New User

Well, I bypassed the dang thing and still got same problem. I was finally able to trace the wire for it and it does indeed seem to be an after market item. So you guys were right. Going to try pulling fuel from the aux tank to see if maybe there is junk in the main tank that clogs up the fuel pickup.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Postmaster

redroad has a good reputation on FTE.redroad has a good reputation on FTE.
When a vehicle sits for long periods of time when the fuel tank is low or partially full condensation on the inside of the tank occurs especially in parts of the country where you have a real Winter .. The fuel becomes contaminated with water and the fuel itself becomes bad as it ages .. This can eventually result in clogged filters and carb .. If the fuel tank was never dropped in your truck and thoroughly cleaned out you have not eliminated a highly potential suspect of problems that occur in vehicles that have sat for longer periods of time .. before you jump into dropping the tank I would perform these tests .. Take a gas can with known good fuel run a fuel line from the can to the tank side of fuel pump and start/test .. If the problem persists then the fuel tank may not be of immediate concern however if the problem is eliminated check fuel line backwards to the tank by disconnecting it at the tank and blow through it to determine if it has obstruction .. If it is clear or not proceed to drop the tank and thoroughly clean out the tank ..

If after doing the gas can test you found the problem wasn't eliminated then next take a vaccum gauge and hook it to the tank side of fuel pump and with the coil wire disconnected have an assistant crank the motor over as you read the readings from the gauge (post them here).. After determining the fuel pump is operating at it's rated pressure we move up the line to filters in line to the carb .. pull the line at carb and at engine side of pump and blow through the line to determine if any obstruction exists .. If none move to the carb take it off and rebuild or have someone rebuild it for you .. This is the way to eliminate any suspicions of a fuel delivery problem and insure that any problems of future fuel delivery won't occur/reoccur ..

note: on the line going back to the tank a lose hose clamp may not show an actually fuel leak but still allow air to be sucked in thus degrading fuel delivery .. Make sure all clamps are tight
Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Junior User

DirtGood is starting off with a positive reputation.
Damn redroad....you da man! I know where I'm coming with my questions lol