1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

EFI help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM
55F250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckRob
Out of church and time to play. A few minor issues but she fired up. I might of put in a little to much cam, o well. Don't know how to post a video but here is a link, to bad you can't see the smile on my face.

https://picasaweb.google.com/chucksc...04374862875442
Valve train sounds noisey, is that normal? Solid lifter cam?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Fill us in on what you got here. Sorry I haven't followed the build. I working on downloading your vid. You mentioned solid lifter cam? That is likely a hydraulic roller block setup. Hpefully not a solid roller cam for a streetrod. But anyway, here are a few random thoughts.

-Solid lifter cams will have some noise. Rowdy hydraulic cams often do too.

-Consistent light sound like a sewing machine is OK. Random clatter is not.

-If you got good oil pressure, and the noise isn't too ridiculous, break in the cam, do your oil change and then re-adjust lifters if you have adjustable rockers.

-If running roller lifters, did you check the swipe on the valve stems to ensure your pushrods are correct length fo your current setup? That's pretty important for longterm survival with a rowdy cam.

-I am getting some of your vid to play now, if you got good oil pressure that is definitely pretty noisey. Hopefully a lifter preload issue?

- I run a .600 lift cam in one of my SBFs. it is way quieter than that. Please post up your cam specs and as many valvetrain details as possible.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 PM
ChuckRob
Elder User
It is funny, on the vid there is a lot of valve train noise, in person it sounds just about right. The cam is a hyd roller, .542 lift 286 duration. the rockers are Ford Racing rollers and they have been shim adjusted. When first started it was running a little rough but now that the timing is adjusted and the computer has done some learning cycles it has smoothed out. It does act as if it might have a vacum leak and it probably will need an idle plate. The mas air also needs to be mounted to the inner fender. When were a little farther along with the build the truck will be going to Vegas to be dynoed and a custom chip built for the computer.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
If it is quieter than the vid then I would put some time on it. Maybe the lifters will pump up and all will be good.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
That is progress! I have noticed that videos do bring out noises.
there isn't an exhaust leak by chance? sometimes those darn headers will try to sound like a lifter tick. I fought header gaskets forever, the found felpro blues???
I think thats the name. They are good gaskets.
Chuck thats good stuff!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Sounds like your 4 quarts low on oil in the vid. The valvetrain clatter is definitely loud. And another good header gasket is Remflex. They are new on the scene I think. They can't keep them on the shelves at the local speedshop.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders
Sounds like your 4 quarts low on oil in the vid. The valvetrain clatter is definitely loud. And another good header gasket is Remflex. They are new on the scene I think. They can't keep them on the shelves at the local speedshop.
Yeah I talk about these header gaskets like I bought some yesterday...the last time I bought them was in 1995...heck they may be discontinued by now!

Chuck you did check the oil right? Thats the kind of stuff that bites me...All worried about this wire...that weld....efi all working...and forget simple things like oil...

fender's I agree with you, I went back and listened again. It does have that certain rocker arm "tick" sound.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
If he has oil pressue and the pushrods (rocker shims too in this case) are right he is probably going to be fine. Don't mean to harp on the pushrod length, but it is a very common problem with SBF and hot cams. I missed by one size once and it really caused me grief. A .542 lift cam is not all that rowdy, but with pedestal rockers it always becomes a little more challenging to get it just right.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:53 PM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Originally Posted by fatfenders
If he has oil pressue and the pushrods (rocker shims too in this case) are right he is probably going to be fine. Don't mean to harp on the pushrod length, but it is a very common problem with SBF and hot cams. I missed by one size once and it really caused me grief. A .542 lift cam is not all that rowdy, but with pedestal rockers it always becomes a little more challenging to get it just right.
I know exactly what your talking about. I had an 302 that I built about 10 years ago that I didn't pay attention to push rod length. It lasted about 2,000 miles and wore out the valve guides. I guess that why I have some adjustable length push rods so that I can measure the exact length needed and then set rocker arm height with shims so that there right on the money. When the engine is run in I will go through the process again just to make sure. .542/286 is not much cam for an all out race engine but it sure is nice for a street The oil level is right were it should be and it has 40lbs. of pressure hot. I think what you are hearing is the air going through the intake, it was right next to the camera.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ChuckRob
I guess that why I have some adjustable length push rods so that I can measure the exact length needed and then set rocker arm height with shims so that there right on the money....
Awesome, that is what I was hoping you would say when I popped the pics open and saw what you were doing. A LOT of people skip the step. If you get the rocker sweep correct on the valve tip the valvetrain will last 100K.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:13 AM
2dasand
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a little late chiming in, sorry. All outputs from the PCM are always negative. The other side of any connection is going to be ignition (either the coil of a relay or in this case the MIL light.

Looks nice! I can't wait to have my blown 408 Windsor running!