Sponsored by: DP Tuner

6.0 Trans cooler Why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:03 PM
allhuntalltime
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 Trans cooler Why?

What is all the hype about a 6.0 trans cooler.
I have a E99 350 with no trans cooler mods and have pull a 12,000 lb
5th wheel since 2001 and no problems from my trans.
I was thinking about putting an extra cooler on it and read about the 6.0
cooler mod and was just wondering why a 6.0 mod.
What is to keep you from going to the local parts store getting a trans cooler
kit with 3/8 line and mounting it along with the stock one.
Just trying to learn something thank for the replies.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM
twg1966
Trying to Gain Knowledge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am currently running a cooler from Jegs, that the Ford transmission tech told me to get when they replaced my transmission. It has been working wonderfully. My tranny doesn't record above 160 in the pan. But that isn't the best place to show temps, from what I have been reading. I have a scan gauge II now and will be using that over the summer to see where my transmission temps are at as compared to the pan temp.

The 6.0 cooler is supposed to do a better job of cooling if there is heavy towing going on is what I have gathered. I don't so what I have will work.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by allhuntalltime
I believe running 2 coolers in line with each other could possibly cause a restriction in flow, witch could allow the bypass to open up and temps to rise even further. I was running a v-10 cooler for years (it's about twice the size of a stock 7.3), when I decided to put the stock in line with the v-10 I actually saw temps higher than before. This was on a failing transmission though, so take that with a grain of salt. I now have the 6.0 cooler and it keeps things nice and cool down there. pulling almost 18k up a grade last sept. and never got the tranny up over 175-180. If you are towing heavy, in my opinion the 6.0 is the way to go. Check out Tousley Ford for a great price on the 26 row. Give them a call!

Edit: I noticed you didn't mention if you have gauges... The stock trans temp gauge in the cluster on our trucks is worthless! Should try to keep trans temps under 220*

Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He has an E99 truck so no stock tranny temp gauge in the dash. That was an '02 and up change.

But the 6.0 coolers are huge compared to the stocker 7.3 coolers and being a person who had overheated and lost a tranny due to cooling issues, it's a no brainer to upgrade for me personally. Auto trannys love to stay within their operating range and when you overheat them, they will eventually give up the ghost. With that being said, a lot has to do with reg. maintenance of your truck and the terrain that you drive with your 5'ver also. Pulling loads in my altitude, it's worth it to upgrade.

Do you have a accurate trans temp gauge to monitor your temps? just curious.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:45 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and the 6.0L cooler can bolt in the same location as the stock 7.3L cooler

Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 PM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
Like mentioned depending on how you plumb the additional cooler, it can cause more harm than good. I know people have done it but you have to be careful.

The 6.0 trans cooler is nice cause it is 2.5-3.4 (depending on which one you get) times larger than a 7.3 cooler.

If you do a lot of high heat towing it is a great mod. I did it and my oh my does it work well... but it is totally overkill. In the winter trans temps rarely crack 120 with my winter front on and sitting in bumper to bumper Boston traffic.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
32 row 6.0 cooler in a OBS

Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
The Derale tstat thread would be a good read.
In short if you tow a lot and heavy then you are more than likely getting your tranny hotter than the desired temp. The 6.0 cooler has a lot more surface area. It does a gray job at keeping the temps in check. However in the winter or when not towing it can cause the tranny temp to not achieve the desired temp. According to one of our members (a ford tech) the optimal temp for our trannys is 170*. Below this it is not as efficient and does not burn off the water. This is why the Derale tstat is also a good idea it opens between 170-180 then lets the cooler keep temps in check.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
The 6.0 does an impressive job of keeping the trans cool. Mine was installed after an accident in 2009 and in mostly hilly, plains San Antonio where it can get to 100 degrees plus in the summer time. It kept my trans surprisingly cool...

Fast forward to 2012 when I had to tow my Mom's car to a friend's place, it kept temps in check even with the hot summer weather and 11K behind me.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 AM
allhuntalltime
Junior User
Thanks gentlemen. No gauges yet just joined the forum a few months ago and didn't know about really cool mods you could to these trucks. I have not done much to my truck in the 13-14 years I owned it execpt reg maintenance and that has recently bit me in the tail. 373k never replaced glow plugs and its been hard to start in cold weather so went to change GPs and one has swelled and will not come out now the head has to come off (ouch). But I am going to keep the truck (dont care what my wife says) so Im going to fix the problem and do the necessary mods. Im sure with all the great info from the good here I can keep it in great condition thanks again.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Thanks gentlemen. No gauges yet just joined the forum a few months ago and didn't know about really cool mods you could to these trucks. I have not done much to my truck in the 13-14 years I owned it execpt reg maintenance and that has recently bit me in the tail. 373k never replaced glow plugs and its been hard to start in cold weather so went to change GPs and one has swelled and will not come out now the head has to come off (ouch). But I am going to keep the truck (dont care what my wife says) so Im going to fix the problem and do the necessary mods. Im sure with all the great info from the good here I can keep it in great condition thanks again.
I have a Tru-cool and my radiator cooler, and saw 250* last summer towing in southern Colorado. 12k 5th wheel. I feel that is too hot, at least for any length of time. I will be installing a 6.0 in March. It has been said here that trannys can stand the heat, but why do it if there is a good, proven option? Mark K has recommended upgrading to the 6.0 cooler before. IF you tow heavy, in hills, mountains, heat, just makes sense in my opinion.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:33 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Fast forward to 2012 when I had to tow my Mom's car to a friend's place, .......... 11K behind me.

What the heck does your mom drive? at 11k I am picturing a 66 fleetwood............

Old 02-08-2013, 04:10 PM
DavidE
Mountain Pass
Need for 6 L trans cooler

As noted by Mark in Derale thread if you have a miin trans temp of 170 deg F and under 225 towing heavy you do not need a 6 L trans cooler. If you do put one in you may need a thermastat so you have a min temp of at least 170 dg F to have optimum trans efficiency and avoid moisture collecting in trans fluid.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:37 PM
allhuntalltime
Junior User
So first things first. Install trans temp gauge check temps in all driving conditions
then make a intelligent decision on the readings for my truck. That is some good advice
instead of jumping into a mod.
Thats one reason I like this forum so many good opinions it makes you think.

Something I'm not used to. Thanks again

Old 02-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
I have no idea how any 7.3 ever lifted a finger for work before the 6.0 was even a thought. Magic?

Quick Reply: 6.0 Trans cooler Why?