Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OT - Favorite Tools and Brands

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 PM
bly8397
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OT - Favorite Tools and Brands

I will getting some new tools for Christmas and was curious which ones everyone preferred. Which ones last the longest over the years. Hand tools, power tools, air tools, etc. Good experiences, bad experiences, what's in your box right now. Just looking for some good input from people that I know put their tools to good use. . Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-20-2012, 07:16 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Well for me it is Snap On. I do have a few Craftsman here and there but I usually try to weed them out when I see em. I tend to be brand loyal on most things though so take it for what its worth.
Budget would definetly play a big part in your decision.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was a craftsmen brand loyal but now there made in china i use snap-on mac

Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
I would love to have all snap on stuff but like mentioned budget doesn't allow me too. I use mostly craftsman sockets and wrenches, have a few snap on, and Mac mixed in. But for me they have worked out well and I have a sears close to me. For power tools depends on what you are buying. Corded drills I go Millwaukee, Bosch or Hilti. For cordless I am a fan of the New DeWalt 20V max line. For a chop saw I would only go DeWalt. For air tools I go IR. hope that helps a little.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I will be getting a Power Probe Hook soon. If it works as advertised it should be an excellent addition to my tool cabinet.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:41 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Makita for cordless have used them for the last 20+ years for my business.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:49 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
I will be getting a Power Probe Hook soon. If it works as advertised it should be an excellent addition to my tool cabinet.

i had to look the hook up but that looks bad boy!
when i find the golden goose i may get one.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by snakedoc
i had to look the hook up but that looks bad boy!
when i find the golden goose i may get one.
Yeah, it is kinda expensive....
I pretty much need it right now to diagnose a cold start issue with one of our V6 Power Strokes. The shop says it needs a new PCM...I am not so sure so I am going to measure amp draw to the glow plugs and AIH. The glow plugs draw 4 amps each, which is 24 amps on this engine. The AIH draws 50 amps and is part of the start up sequence (unlike the 7.3 system). I hope I can figure it out soon...

Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Dewalt for power tools
Snap-on
Craftsman
Hilti/ingersoll rand for pneumatic

Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 818 Likes on 597 Posts
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
For cordless I am a fan of the New DeWalt 20V max line.
x2! The size vs power is 21st century.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:10 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My Snap On roll cab at work has mostly Snap On and Mac hand tools, ratchets, & torque wrenches. I do have variety of others in the air tool and specialty type. I've been working with my tools professionally since '80 and started collection during my high school days. I keep more sets of tools at home and in my truck, so I started getting more conservative in my spending as I get older. As for corded and cordless electric power tools, I use Ridgid, Dewalt, Black & Decker, Craftsman, Makita, Skil, etc. I am not really brand loyal, but when comes to cordless, I found my Dewalts seem to hold up the best.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
I stay far far far away from DeFault now (ever sense they were bought by Black & Decker)

All my cordless is Makita, haven't found a single thing my 18v Li stuff can't do. I am in construction and put my tools through the ringer. With cordless sawzall, circular saw, and drills and impacts, oh and an angle grinder, I have yet to need more than my 3 batteries for an entire day at work.

Corded drills and such, Milwaukee
Craftsman wrenching tools is what I have for my base, a few matco and some snap-on stuff.

Spend the money on the things that count and save some coin when you can just get by with something from Harbor Freight (if it's a short use span item)

Old 12-21-2012, 04:09 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Bahco reversible ratchet set, 3 wrenches, each wrench can do 4 different sizes, they are tough and make jobs where they fit a breeze. Great for the in-truck tool box.

I'm using some Ryobi 18v Li tools, the electric impact driver also makes wrenching a breeze - although it takes some 'touch' to not snap some bolts off. I'm pretty careful now, quick disassembe with power, quick assemble with power, then hand tighted the last bit to the correct torque.

Snap On if you can afford them. There are some pretty good 'Made in Germany' brands that are a fraction of the Snap On price and I'm yet to break any of my German stuff.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:43 AM
Poolguy601
Senior User
Snap-On, Mac, Proto industrial, Matco, Gearwrench. Some Craftsman and S-K. Makita, Ingersall Rand power tools.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Don't get the "consumer" cordless power tools in the general area of Home Depot and the like, they had a history of carrying the whimpy models with the plastic planetary gears. The real stuff with guts of steel is in the contractor section... with a higher price tag. I use Millwauk... Milwaulk... the red ones. I don't subscribe to Milwaukee's inspection camera... mine lost its seal and the camera head fogged up. I bought a new one at Costco (can't remember brand), it has a smaller camera head, the head is waterproof, and it takes pictures and stores them on a micro-SD card.

Quick Reply: OT - Favorite Tools and Brands