Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   OT - Favorite Tools and Brands (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1211216-ot-favorite-tools-and-brands.html)

bly8397 12-20-2012 07:10 PM

OT - Favorite Tools and Brands

I will getting some new tools for Christmas and was curious which ones everyone preferred. Which ones last the longest over the years. Hand tools, power tools, air tools, etc. Good experiences, bad experiences, what's in your box right now. Just looking for some good input from people that I know put their tools to good use. :D. Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

caverjoe 12-20-2012 07:16 PM

Well for me it is Snap On. I do have a few Craftsman here and there but I usually try to weed them out when I see em. I tend to be brand loyal on most things though so take it for what its worth.
Budget would definetly play a big part in your decision.

snakedoc 12-20-2012 07:27 PM

i was a craftsmen brand loyal but now there made in china i use snap-on mac

Firefighter 1406 12-20-2012 07:57 PM

I would love to have all snap on stuff but like mentioned budget doesn't allow me too. I use mostly craftsman sockets and wrenches, have a few snap on, and Mac mixed in. But for me they have worked out well and I have a sears close to me. For power tools depends on what you are buying. Corded drills I go Millwaukee, Bosch or Hilti. For cordless I am a fan of the New DeWalt 20V max line. For a chop saw I would only go DeWalt. For air tools I go IR. hope that helps a little.

Shake-N-Bake 12-20-2012 08:35 PM

I will be getting a Power Probe Hook soon. If it works as advertised it should be an excellent addition to my tool cabinet. :-X22

caverjoe 12-20-2012 08:41 PM

Makita for cordless have used them for the last 20+ years for my business.

snakedoc 12-20-2012 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake (Post 12622717)
I will be getting a Power Probe Hook soon. If it works as advertised it should be an excellent addition to my tool cabinet. :-X22

i had to look the hook up but that looks bad boy!:-X22
when i find the golden goose i may get one.

Shake-N-Bake 12-20-2012 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by snakedoc (Post 12622764)
i had to look the hook up but that looks bad boy!:-X22
when i find the golden goose i may get one.

Yeah, it is kinda expensive....
I pretty much need it right now to diagnose a cold start issue with one of our V6 Power Strokes. The shop says it needs a new PCM...I am not so sure so I am going to measure amp draw to the glow plugs and AIH. The glow plugs draw 4 amps each, which is 24 amps on this engine. The AIH draws 50 amps and is part of the start up sequence (unlike the 7.3 system). I hope I can figure it out soon...:-huh

empiretc 12-20-2012 09:30 PM

Dewalt for power tools
Snap-on
Craftsman
Hilti/ingersoll rand for pneumatic

aawlberninf350 12-20-2012 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 (Post 12622601)
For cordless I am a fan of the New DeWalt 20V max line.

x2! The size vs power is 21st century.

mueckster 12-20-2012 10:10 PM

My Snap On roll cab at work has mostly Snap On and Mac hand tools, ratchets, & torque wrenches. I do have variety of others in the air tool and specialty type. I've been working with my tools professionally since '80 and started collection during my high school days. I keep more sets of tools at home and in my truck, so I started getting more conservative in my spending as I get older. As for corded and cordless electric power tools, I use Ridgid, Dewalt, Black & Decker, Craftsman, Makita, Skil, etc. I am not really brand loyal, but when comes to cordless, I found my Dewalts seem to hold up the best.

VegasFordSD 12-20-2012 10:17 PM

I stay far far far away from DeFault now (ever sense they were bought by Black & Decker)

All my cordless is Makita, haven't found a single thing my 18v Li stuff can't do. I am in construction and put my tools through the ringer. With cordless sawzall, circular saw, and drills and impacts, oh and an angle grinder, I have yet to need more than my 3 batteries for an entire day at work.

Corded drills and such, Milwaukee
Craftsman wrenching tools is what I have for my base, a few matco and some snap-on stuff.

Spend the money on the things that count and save some coin when you can just get by with something from Harbor Freight (if it's a short use span item)

SSSimon 12-21-2012 04:09 AM

Bahco reversible ratchet set, 3 wrenches, each wrench can do 4 different sizes, they are tough and make jobs where they fit a breeze. Great for the in-truck tool box.

I'm using some Ryobi 18v Li tools, the electric impact driver also makes wrenching a breeze - although it takes some 'touch' to not snap some bolts off. I'm pretty careful now, quick disassembe with power, quick assemble with power, then hand tighted the last bit to the correct torque.

Snap On if you can afford them. There are some pretty good 'Made in Germany' brands that are a fraction of the Snap On price and I'm yet to break any of my German stuff.

Poolguy601 12-21-2012 04:43 AM

Snap-On, Mac, Proto industrial, Matco, Gearwrench. Some Craftsman and S-K. Makita, Ingersall Rand power tools.

Tugly 12-21-2012 06:43 AM

Don't get the "consumer" cordless power tools in the general area of Home Depot and the like, they had a history of carrying the whimpy models with the plastic planetary gears. The real stuff with guts of steel is in the contractor section... with a higher price tag. I use Millwauk... Milwaulk... the red ones. I don't subscribe to Milwaukee's inspection camera... mine lost its seal and the camera head fogged up. I bought a new one at Costco (can't remember brand), it has a smaller camera head, the head is waterproof, and it takes pictures and stores them on a micro-SD card.