I have a lot of decisions to make. Here is what I know I need:
4 Door
>10,000# towing capacity receiver hitch, 5th wheel option
Diesel

And here is what I have to decide on:
GM vs Ford and options
Where to buy
What is it going to cost me

I've had input from GM owners on towing trailers with 2011 Duramax/Allison setups. They speak very highly of them, especially of the automatic downshift capability of the Allison for deceleration. Do the 2012/2013 F350's diesel/auto trans combinations work as well? Do any of you have any input on Ford/GM Heavy duties for full time trailer duty, longevity, service issues, desirable features? I know where I am, so this is a loaded question, but maybe someone has experience with both. I've always been a Ford person, so I'm trying real hard to ignore my own personal bias.

We have both dealers in town. Is it worth going out of town to larger, or more targeted dealers to find the best deal? Is it best to order a truck, or pick out of inventory as far as the type of deal to make? I haven't seen too many "Work Truck" grade vehicles on the lots. I don't need King Ranch, or even XLT grade, but if the price comes out about the same, why not, right?

As for the deal, is truecar.com a good place to get pricing information? It looks like either GM or Ford will be around $40K purchase price at 20% off MSRP, which truecar.com says there are plenty selling at. I haven't looked at xplan yet, but the thread seems to indicate you might not get the best deal with it anyway. Does anyone know of better programs, or methods for getting a lower price? My boss told me about buying through Enterprise (the rental car company). They have a lot of buying power, and he said he would hook me up with them, for instance.

I have to make the purchase before year end for tax purposes, so ordering a truck may be limited. This is my very first new vehicle purchase. I've always preferred to stick with slightly used vehicles. In this case, after doing a lot of calculating, it is actually better for me to buy new, so I am committed to new.

Thanks for your responses. welbo97

Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Lets start here...what kind of 5er are you after? Once you know the specs on that then get the right truck to do the job. That is the best way to ensure your truck is not underrated.

But what I can tell you right now all the F250/350/450's have tow/haul just like the GM's do. In tow haul as you slow down the tranny will downshift to help stop the load. You can also tap your brakes and it will downshift then as well. So yes there is engine braking. It is not as agressive as GM's but it does work well.

As far as work trucks or lesser trim levels you may have to get that ordered. Dealers tend to sell what the traffic wants. You can order it the way you want it.

Truecar.com can be helpful but my best advise no matter what make is to ask to see the invoice and try to deal based upon that. Not the door sticker.

X-plan is usually right at invoice and then you also get to apply any rebates. It is a no hassle easy way to buy if you can. I use it. I know exactly what I am going to pay and I don't have to fight to get there.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 AM
welbo97
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The trailer we will be towing will be a 20' dual axle enclosed with a max GTW of 10,000#. If it is economical, I may upgrade that to 15,000# but doubt I would load the trailer that high. I was leaning toward a smaller bumper pull but think the gooseneck will pull much better without wandering around the road. As long as I can keep my men from running over all the curbs, it should turn out better.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I would go with a F350. You will extra capacity should you need it.

They all come with a reciever rated for 16K and all of course are capable of the GCVWR you will have.

SRW would be fine...dually as well.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:00 PM
welbo97
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not relevant anymore, but I was pretty happy with how this turned out. I bought two trucks... One for the business and one for me to drive as a "backup" in case the business truck broke down. F-350 XL but with all power options and cruise for the business. F-250 Lariat for me. Both 6.7L diesel. Both have been great trucks with much more power than I've ever needed, but that's okay!
I bought them through a bid process I set up. I contacted 8 different dealerships in my surroundings and talked for a bit to set up a relationship. Then I sent out a bid request to each of them with specs required. As it turned out, my local dealer won the bid at $1500 below invoice before rebates.
I'm trading the XL back now and getting $8500 back on it from 60 month financing. Not too bad.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:14 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Sounds good. Two trucks!

Old 01-29-2015, 06:15 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by welbo97
I bought two trucks... One for the business and one for me to drive as a "backup" in case the business truck broke down.
isn't one of the major bonuses with buying new,an attempt to avoid having breakdowns? if you lack the trust in the truck you bought to be reliable,then you bought the wrong truck.if you bought two trucks so that in case one brakes down,you've got the other to work while the other gets repaired,then two 10-15 year old trucks may have been the wiser route (especially where the 6.7l is going unused in both cases.)