6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Need engine and towing advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Ron G L
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need engine and towing advice.

I am a brand new member and this is my first post. I am retired and my wife recently retired. We want to travel more. We want to get a truck and a fifth wheel so we can travel through the western US. We live in the San Diego area. It has been 20 years since I owned my last pick-up and I have never towed a travel trailer or a fifth wheel camper so I really do need some advice.

I have decided that a Ford is what I want. After to talking to several folks at a local RV dealership they all recommend a 3/4 ton pick up with a diesel engine. That is what they recommend to haul a fifth wheel camper through the mountains. I also talked to a salesman at the local Ford dealership and he also recommended the diesel and he showed me several. That is when the sticker shock began. Seems like new Ford 250's with a 6.7 diesel are in the 50-60K range. I am still trying to get my head around that number.

I have now started looking at used 250's. This where I need the advice/recommendations of people with some experience in hauling/towing. Do you agree that a diesel is probably the safe bet for towing? Is there a 250 model you would recommend? We know we want a SuperCab and I want to be sure the engine and rear end will get us comfortably up steep grades and mountains. Most of the used trucks I have seen have around 50-60K miles. I would like to have the truck for several years and take 3-4 trips per year. Is 50-60K miles too many miles? Bottom line, any advice you would like to give would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for any advice you want to offer. We are really looking forward to traveling and having the freedom that a fifth wheel would bring us. We just want to make a good decision on a truck to tow it.

Ron

Old 08-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Rod Bensken
Senior User
If you are only going to tow 3-4 times a year, I would go with gas. The mpg's will stink when you tow, but your not towing that much.
The diesels are more expensive to maintain (120 bucks + for a dealer oil change).
I has a gaser for 18 years, and just went to the diesel. I am hoping this will be the last truck I have to buy.
And a lot of it depends on what kind of rv you want.
I would find out what I want to tow and work back from there. But on the other hand, I've never heard anyone say they have too much tow vehicle.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:16 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Don't forget, if you buy when the rebates are good, you could get around 10k off or more, I got 14k off mine in just ford rebates.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:45 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
Don't forget, if you buy when the rebates are good, you could get around 10k off or more, I got 14k off mine in just ford rebates.
use kbb.com or cars.com, both will show you the dealer invoice price before rebates.

I was just looking at a new f350, sticker at 62, price to me 48.

I am in the exact same spot (just retired, want to do the same traveling) , altho I have had a diesel now for 4 yrs.
08 f350 dually (which I miss) (bad mileage), and now an '12 f250. Both crew cab. can't imagine being without that space.
carmax says my 13,000 mile f250 is worth 42,000.

also looking at 5th wheel trailers.. something you could spend a month in.
40-70k again. used sometimes better. most of the stuff my wife would be happy with puts me right at the weight limit edge on truck and trailer combo.

I wouldn't get gas.. the diesel power is so incredible. I do not like the sound of something hi reving all the time.

Sam

Old 08-05-2013, 03:54 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I think you are going about this a bit backwards since you don't have the truck.

Zero in the 5th wheel or TT and then buy the truck that will do the job for the trailer you buy.

Base upon the limited info so far I go gas motor.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:09 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

there are some pretty decently priced f350 and duallys around here (austin tx).. but I am comparing to my paid off 250.

Sam

Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Ron G L
New User
Senix-

I appreciate the info. It is a little like the chicken and the egg. Do I get a truck first and match the fifth wheel to the capability of the truck or do I get the fifth wheel and then go buy a truck to haul it? I appreciate your advice but I think I need to get the truck first and be sure it is capable of hauling a 10-15K fifth wheel. That's the reason for the interest in the diesel engine. Both the RV dealership owner and the Ford sales guy recommended a diesel. I came here to test those recommendations. It is not an easy decision.

Ron

Old 08-05-2013, 04:21 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Ron G L
Senix-

I appreciate the info. It is a little like the chicken and the egg. Do I get a truck first and match the fifth wheel to the capability of the truck or do I get the fifth wheel and then go buy a truck to haul it? I appreciate your advice but I think I need to get the truck first and be sure it is capable of hauling a 10-15K fifth wheel. That's the reason for the interest in the diesel engine. Both the RV dealership owner and the Ford sales guy recommended a diesel. I came here to test those recommendations. It is not an easy decision.

Ron
what will you do with the truck the rest of the time? park it?
I use mine to tow my car hauler with my custom truck inside to shows all over.
I recently started this topic
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...an-others.html
trying to decide if my 250 was enough to tow a 5th wheel trailer.
net is yes, but at the top edge. Only a dually really relieves the concern.

Sam

Old 08-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Ron G L
New User
No, it won't just be parked. I intend to use it as my vehicle while my wife will have her's. One of my hobbies is landscape photography. I want to get a pop-up camper for the truck and use it to get to photography locations--Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Eastern Sierra's, etc. I will drive the truck and camper when i am doing photo trips and use it as my vehicle around town.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:34 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Ron G L
No, it won't just be parked. I intend to use it as my vehicle while my wife will have her's. One of my hobbies is landscape photography. I want to get a pop-up camper for the truck and use it to get to photography locations--Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Eastern Sierra's, etc. I will drive the truck and camper when i am doing photo trips and use it as my vehicle around town.
nothing heavy other than the 5th wheel?

I might lean to gas then. the diesels like to be worked.

here is a link to the 2012 towing guide, page 19 (If you're looking used)..
http://assets.clickmotive.com/Custom...ge/1789920.pdf

the supercab f250 is similar to my diesel.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Get the 4.30's if you go gas.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:39 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
Get a 350 if you planning on getting a 5th wheel

Old 08-05-2013, 06:59 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
I agree that you need to selct your fifth wheel and then get your truck. It is better to have more truck than you need than than to be towing or pulling right at the limits or over loaded. Think down the road. You may want to upgrade to a larger fifth wheel, Will your truck safely and easily and safely pull a 16K or 17K fifth wheel? Will you end up traveling more than you plan to right now? You said three to four trips a year. How long, ie, how many miles will those trips be? Four trips of 2000 miles each would 8000 miles.

Only you can determine your needs. I currently tow about 3000 to 4000 miles a year and have a diesel dually. However after my wife retires in a year, we will be on the road for the better part of the year. I bought planning for that.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:03 PM
army350
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too bought an F350 dually with the 6.7 diesel so I would have the peace of mind that I had more than enough truck for the 5th wheel that we want. I believe that more truck is better (safer) than getting one that is right on the limits of its capabilities. Especially if you plan on 3-4 long trips a year, heck, you may like those trips so much that you take more of them and then having more truck will be even better. I know it's a huge expense, but being safe, comfortable and not having to worry is priceless.

Good Luck,

Randy

Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 PM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
My personal opinion would be to get a diesel. There is nothing wrong with driving a diesel as a daily driver. As others have said the maintenance costs are much higher . The fuel mileage is much better with a diesel. I tow a 11,000 pound 5th wheel(when loaded) and a horse trailer weighing around 8,000 to 9,000 lbs loaded. I have the crew cab long box with 331 gearing and it has plenty of power to do anything I want . The advantage of the long box is 37 gallons gas capacity instead of 22. I can tow 400 miles if I want to stretch it to almost out of fuel. (I don't do that often)I get around 18-19 miles per gallon empty and 11-13 towing most of the time. Good luck with a decision you can make for yourself.

Quick Reply: Need engine and towing advice.