Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I keep cracking flexplates- Found possible solution, want opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Forger
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep cracking flexplates- Found possible solution, want opinions

97 F250 460 4x4 with E4OD. I have cracked two flex plates since June when I installed the RHP upgrade, cuts the horns, fabbed my own exhaust (quads off dual manga flows and headers) and made my own double cold air intake system. The clacking started very soon after got everything installed and took my beast off roading in alaska.

Did very well, lacked no power, but when I got back she clacked like there was a loose rocker, but ended up being the flex plate with a near perfect crack around the crank shaft mounting bolts. I attributed this to improper installation (Ill take credit for that possiblity) and replaced it. Now a 4200 mile (which it made without issue) move to upstate new york and no off roading since, and its began doing the same thing. I ordered a heavier duty one from summit, and am preparing to install it.

My question is why is it doing this? I almost refuse to believe its due to too much power. Also, if it is too much power, i think its time to beef up my trans a little and I was wondering where the weak points in my E4OD would be and if the ATS dual clutch torque converter, and matching valve body would work, fix the weakness, and or be over kill. For some reason the "front pump" rings in my ears as being the weak point, but I want to be sure.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Front pump was an issue on early E4ODs, it's fine on the later ones. 97 E4OD is as strong as they got, and in some aspects is better than the early 4R100. Too much power is not cracking your flexplate, my friend is pushing 7 PSI of boost into his 460 on the original 170,000 mile E4OD without a problem.

I'd suspect a deformed torque converter drive face, or a failing engine thrust bearing.

As far as building the transmission, I believe you'll find more people will favor John Woods or BTS than ATS.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 AM
bdelmar2
Senior User
We had a truck come into our shop that had broken 3 flexplates.

The shop that had installed the trans didn't put the alignment pins in. Probably not your problem, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

The crazy thing is the shop that installed the trans also replaced the plate all 3 times. Charged them for labor the first time, and full price the second and third time.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Forger
Junior User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
I'd suspect a deformed torque converter drive face, or a failing engine thrust bearing.
I should mention that this transmission was rebuilt about 14000 miles ago. I wish I knew where the receipt was to put out part numbers, but it was a complete rebuild, the original torque converter grenadeded due to shady fellers putting anti seize in the trans tube.

As far as building the transmission, I believe you'll find more people will favor John Woods or BTS than ATS.
The only reason I was thinking ATS because its known for its ability to hold up to super modified diesels, so I think its lower range stuff could handle my pissy 460.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Forger
Junior User
I should mention that this transmission was rebuilt about 14000 miles ago. I wish I knew where the receipt was to put out part numbers, but it was a complete rebuild, the original torque converter grenadeded due to shady fellers putting anti seize in the trans tube. As far as a deformed thrust bearing, That seems like itd be a symptom of much more serious things...

The only reason I was thinking ATS because its known for its ability to hold up to super modified diesels, so I think its lower range stuff could handle my pissy 460.

Originally Posted by bdelmar2
he shop that had installed the trans didn't put the alignment pins in. Probably not your problem, but thought I'd mention it just in case.
Its worth checking out. Like I said I I havent taken the things apart yet to replace it, but when i do, itll be go time.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Forger
I should mention that this transmission was rebuilt about 14000 miles ago. I wish I knew where the receipt was to put out part numbers, but it was a complete rebuild, the original torque converter grenadeded due to shady fellers putting anti seize in the trans tube.
Like I said, I'd still suspect a converter with excessive run out or a failing thrust bearing. Or possible missing alignment dowels as mentioned earlier. Also keep in mind that if it's not a main bearing issue, anything constantly putting enough force on the flexplate to crack it that often is not doing your bearings any favors.

ATS is known for products that are iffy and horrible dreadful customer service. Just google "ATS Transmission Troubles." Most of the E4OD/4R100 Power Stroke guys use John Woods or BTS.