Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

December B.S. Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:17 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, about a week ago i threw the parents out on a 2 week roadtrip to see my brother with his wife and their new baby, so i've got the place to myself with 2 wild dogs - and half the time i can barely walk across the house cause every step i take they're right in front of my knees again. so i've been working a bit less so i can keep them company and feed them new and then. on sunday i'll drop one back at his owners place, so i'll be down to 1 dog, and he's not quite so wild by himself.
other than that, i've been working on the rest of the family's cars. dad's volvo lost the center u-joint, the toyota pickup lost the front crank seal and nearly pumped itself dry. so i got the volvo taken care of, now i'm starting to tear into the yota. i figure if i'm getting in that far i may as well do the timing chain and all that fun stuff too, cause the whole cover has to come off to change the seal.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:33 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I see, sounds like you have been busy. I made plans to do my timing chain to swap to a straight up double roller but I plan to wait till spring/summer to do so since I work outside. I also want to do the rear main since mine is toast but, I kind of want to just pull the engine to have the whole thing rebuilt... I just don't have the money or a second vehicle anymore to transport the engine. I sold my small blue pickup for $850 and if I can get a nice job somewhere to gain some more cash then I can buy another run around vehicle and start doing the bigger work on the bronco. I also need to find a reputable place to have the engine rebuilt. I would do it myself but I have only ever rebuilt a 1 cylinder briggs motor in school. I want to have everything gone through, and replaced with new parts. Keep the carb, intake, heads, and block but all the guts to be replaced.

Also, unfortunately I have not removed my back wheels to play with the brakes... I kind of forgot about it. I need to order some new lug nuts and get that done.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
oh yeah, who needs brakes anyway
for machine shops near you, these guys are good
Highlands East Auto Parts
4616 Northeast 4th Street
Renton, WA 98059
(425) 228-6364
back when my family lived down in that area, they were our primary parts store, and have a full machine shop downstairs. give them a call and get an idea of what they can do for you

Old 12-28-2012, 11:29 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
What engine do you have in it ? Have you given any thought to
getting one you can build at your own pace then sell the one in it
when your done? Engine building is fun. and a Bronco engine
I could do in my sleep almost.

Sean

NOTE : if it's the 400 M have a look at this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/73-Ford-400-...e2b26e&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Yahiko; 12-29-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Note
Old 12-29-2012, 12:29 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
according to his sig, its a 351m
i agree on building your own, though its good to have the machine work done by a shop that has the right tools. when i've done it, the machinist will have to bore out the block if necessary, install the cam bearings, machine the crankshaft, and rebuild the heads. if pistons are being replaced, he should press those onto the rods, as the one time i tried it, i couldn't support the pistons straight enough and scraped some metal out of the hole there. and you don't want to have a problem on that end of things! outside of that, you can go ahead and do it all yourself - take your time, ask questions, and learn a lot along the way

Old 12-29-2012, 12:33 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
It is the 351M/400 motor but I don't have the ability or the space to rebuild one... We have a 302 from a neighbor that me and my stepfather were going to rebuild but the lack of space, money, and time put a damper on things. We got down to the heads and stopped. It was quite amazing though, the engine was on an engine stand upside down and outside in the weather for years. We popped off the oil pan and heads and the engine rotated like it did the day it left the factory. I wanted to build it up with awesome parts and drop it in a donor car that we restored. Unfortunately we never got the motor done and never got to finding a donor car.

Also that motor looks like it isn't in the best shape. I would hope for a lower price on something I plan to tear apart and replace the parts on. Hydrofluxing the block and heads isn't cheap. Another note, did all the 351M/400's come with the same internals? The bronco ones were ment for heavy duty work, were the torino motors ment for speed? Kind of like the 5.0 in the mustangs vs in the broncos?

Old 12-29-2012, 12:53 AM
crash1
Posting Guru
hello hello

Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Hi Crash, whatcha been up to lately? Did you have a good christmas?

Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
On a different note, what does everyone have planned for new years? I am heading to a friends house to hang out and play video games. Since we can't legally drink yet we will end up having soda and sparkling cider but oh well. I also have work that same night at the Chevron I work at. I get to sit on my butt for 5 hours and make about $42 to watch the customer and make sure no one robs the place or to kick any overly drunk people out of the store. It's easy money and I couldn't pass it up even if it means I miss 5 hours of a party. I clock off at 1am so i can head back up to black diamond and rejoin the festivities.

So that leaves you folks, sitting at home watching fireworks? At the bar enjoying a beer or 5? Or maybe out lighting fireworks of your own?

Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
well, for new years i'll be babysitting the dog who is very gunshy. i might take him a few miles up a logging road and have a few beers together, i'm not sure yet, but the fireworks scare the hell out of him so we'll try to be isolated.
a friend invited me to join him at a bar for new years, but no, the dog is more important. i sure don't need to DUI home from bellevue - and drinking with him that would probably be the case.

for your engine, i don't know but i would guess that there are different versions for car vs truck. i would suspect that the bottom end is all the same, with the differences being in the cam, heads, and intake. but i haven't really studied your engine to be sure

Old 12-29-2012, 02:41 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I know my engine ok but I don't know the car style engine. Oh well, I will figure something out. I am far from affording an engine rebuild so there is plenty of time to research and plan.

My dogs are ok with fireworks, they bark a lot the first few minutes but get used to it. They just don't like the amount of people that go around the house. It's probably a pretty good idea heading to the woods, plus the dog will have plenty of room to explore. The closest logging roads here are around 45 minutes or so. One day I will go explore them.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:55 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
yeah, logging roads are real handy from where i'm at. just today i took the two monsters for a good long walk up one of them. if i would have had more time, i likely would have found the connection i was looking for - the one that got a friend of mine lost last winter as he was hiking out there. so much country i want to explore, but so little time.

which section of logging roads are you thinking of? the ones going north out of north bend actually tie in to the ones i play on, but there are a couple locked gates in the way. study it on google maps if you want

Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I was thinking more south towards wilkison and carbonato. I think there are some out there.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:10 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
My back yard is in Wilkison and Carbonato more Wilkison.
I agree wit hJosh it is more likely the cam, heads and intake.
When I used to do them I had the block, cam bearings
and depending on the piston pin type dome by the shop
I used. Rings, main bearings piston bearings I would do. I have about 99%
of the tools here. I would send the cam to Delta Camshaft in Tacoma.
The heads just depend on what you want to do with them.
Engine building is very fun and if you want to give it a try I
have the space and the tools.

Sean

Quick Reply: December B.S. Thread