1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

You tell me...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by rhopper
Ok Ross, now go back out and remove the headliner. Lay it on a large piece of paper and trace the outline. All the pieces please. Stick it in an envelope and mail it to me so I can trace it onto abs. Thanks.
I can send you the pdf of the template created by Terry/Overkill. You would have to print it out, but it was made by tracing his original, and has excellent annotation.

I took the center section back out for measuring the center bracket's location. The method shown in the instructions might work, but I didn't want to take any chances. I marked on each door jamb, just under the side flaps of the headliner, with masking tape, placed so that a straight piece of angle iron aligned with the marks crossed right under the braket. Then used an upright from a point marked on that up to the bracket. It worked perfectly, I hit it dead-on.

A piece of advice when drilling holes for the side flaps' screws... If your drill bit is more than 3/4" - 1" long, it's possible for the bit to put a nice little dimple in your roof, right above the drip rail, when it breaks thru... Use a drill-stop. PS -- not a one of the original 6 holes on each side aligned with the 3 in the headliner.

I made a posterboard template of the rear window pieces, then cut it in half. Put one end around the window, the other against the jamb, and slipped one over the other to determine the required length for a 51-52. The end result is you need to trim right at 7 inches from each side.

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Ross some time back you or Terry sent me the .pdf files and I have them on my web site. For anyone interested:

Bonus Built cab headliner

Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Carolina 52
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I was right about the 6 to 8 inches having to be cut out. My wife was wrong!
I will not tell her though. "yes you're right dear" is my standard answer to all everything she questions even if i know it is not correct. More harmonious that way.
But I am glad you got it all sorted out Ross. I used a broken drill bit that I had which was only about a 1/2" long seated in the drill chuck. However when I did the right side panel below the rear window I missed the brace and drilled through the back of the cab on one of the screws. Nothing to much to worry about for me but someone who has a completely painted truck needs to very careful with.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Ross some time back you or Terry sent me the .pdf files and I have them on my web site. For anyone interested:

Bonus Built cab headliner

That's great Bob, you should have Mo add it to the stickies for useful threads.

Kevin, you are a wise man...

edit: Well I made one screw-up... when I cut the side piece, I didn't cut it so the lower side under the window was extended, thinking the separate piece would cover it. Nope. It's too short for a 51-52. I'll need to glue it...

Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
If any 51-52 guys need a template for trimming around the window, I've got one that can be mailed out. It saves a lot of time.

The panels around the gas tank are a major PITA, especially to get the passenger side to clear the filler pipe.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Years ago while drilling a hole in a inner door panel I learned a valuable lesson about drill stops. When I punched through the door skin I ended up drilling a 1/4" hole approx halfway through the door glass of the Eldo I was working on......needless to say my boss wasn't impressed with the sharpness of my drill bits.

After that I found that a length of vacuum hose cut to length and slipped over the bit is a very handy thing and kept the boss happier as well.

Bobby

Old 12-08-2012, 11:42 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by bobbytnm

After that I found that a length of vacuum hose cut to length and slipped over the bit is a very handy thing and kept the boss happier as well.

Bobby
That's a tip worthy of going in the "Cool Tips & Tricks" thread! Fingers in front of the chuck work too, but....

Old 12-08-2012, 12:26 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
That's great Bob, you should have Mo add it to the stickies for useful threads.

Kevin, you are a wise man...

edit: Well I made one screw-up... when I cut the side piece, I didn't cut it so the lower side under the window was extended, thinking the separate piece would cover it. Nope. It's too short for a 51-52. I'll need to glue it...
Good idea, message sent to Mo

Years ago while drilling a hole in a inner door panel I learned a valuable lesson about drill stops. When I punched through the door skin I ended up drilling a 1/4" hole approx halfway through the door glass of the Eldo I was working on......needless to say my boss wasn't impressed with the sharpness of my drill bits.

Bobby
Bobby, one more tip when doing body work on a door. Roll up the window before welding a patch in and cover the window with a fireproof blanket. If you don't you can end up with some interesting texturing on the glass that won't "buff out".

Bobby, BTW, are you sure the hole measured 1/4", I bet it was a lot bigger once you hit that tempered glass with the bit Kind of funny now, but not all that funny at the time, was it?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:43 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
LOL....
yea, that day I also learned to roll the windows up before drilling out any rivets, etc. I also learned a lot of colorful words from the service manager. It was a full day of learning.
The bit only went about half way through the glass. I'm sure if it would have penetrated all the way through it would have shattered the glass. You know, when you learn a lesson the hard way like that, its a lesson learned for life.

Bobby

Old 12-08-2012, 03:46 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
You know, when you learn a lesson the hard way like that, its a lesson learned for life.

Bobby
Like make sure the overhead door is fully open before driving the truck out. I learned that one real quick about 30 years ago.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:15 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Like make sure the overhead door is fully open before driving the truck out. I learned that one real quick about 30 years ago.
Or close the liftgate hatch before backing out of the garage... or don't forget that you have bicycles attached to the bike rack on the car's roof before you enter the garage...

I see quite a few claims like that.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My wife's stepfather backed his Lexus out of the garage, but failed to open it first. I onetime backed my 55 Chevy truck with the front door open and forgot about the post that ripped the door right off. We do learn when it is the hard way...