Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged V10 Excursion

Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM
jayz66ragtop
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garryk6
So I ran across a guy with a 2000 excursion V10 with a whipple supercharger and banks intake and trans shift module. It has 69,000 miles, and the supercharger was added at 45,000 miles. Since I live on an island inAlaska, my 2005 Ex with 6.0 diesel never gets to stretch its legs, nor does it really get to warm up all the way unless I take a long drive from one end of the road to the other (about 75 miles). My 05 Ex only has 36,496 miles, and I am the original owner. We are thinking about a partial trade sale, but I m interested in hearing your thoughts?

Let the beatings begin...

Garry
No beatings, I say go for it! I've got a Paxton on mine and LOVE it. Concerns about towing? Other than the known transmission issue I had NONE. There are a few things you will want done if they aren't already:

1. get the 6.0L or aftermarket transmission cooler. I got an aftermarket with a fan.
2. Gauges - At minimum get fuel pressure, trans temp, and boost.
Fuel pressure: if the pressure drops you can go lean and blow up the motor
Trans temp: don't want to cook it and with the extra power it's easy to do towing or not
Boost: Many will say you don't need it or your just trying to look cool but it has a valid use. Non-intercooled your good up to about 8#, intercooled I've seen a little over 10# with on issues. I think going much over 12# and your asking for trouble on stock internals.

If you are use to Diesel gas prices than you should be fine and since you have a lightning you are aware of the premium fuel requirements of a boosted application. That being said you probably know the need for the gauges as well but just wanted to remind you if it isn't already equipped with them. I have the panel that goes on the pillar by the window you see on many of the diesel guys have. You'll also be surprised at how quick the truck is.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Jay,
I was going to see what he has if any for gauges. I also knew about the premium fuel, though I won't be putting huge miles on it till we leave Kodiak, Alaska and head back to the Lower 48. (Not for a while.)

I wish I had a Lightning or Harley F150, it was actually my Father-in-law that had a 2000 Lightning and a 2002 Harley both S/C 5.4 2v's. Both Scary Fast!

Question about yours, are you running the stock 3.73's? Or something else. I seem to see alot of the V-10 owners that tow go with 4.30's. Since I will eventually tow with it, and I intend on swaping the stock Excursion springs in favor of F350 Springs, blocks and leveling kit, I will be running 35's for shoes in the summer and 235x85x16 studded in the winter. What are your thoughts?

V/R
Garry

Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
jayz66ragtop
Junior User
I have the stock 3.73s and very happy with them. No issues with getting going and that supercharger is positive displacement vs mine which is centrifugal so your torque would come in a little earlier. I don't think I would go with lower gears simply because you will be revving higher at highway speeds and wasting money.

An example of mine towing, I put my sister's F350 dually (about 7500#s) on my open car trailer (about 4000#s) and towed it 250 miles with no issues. My Ex knew it was back there but didn't hinder it much, I would say about the same "performance" as a stock Ex with no load. I have not done the spring conversion either and can tell my rear is sagging a little with no load so I am sure eventually I'll do them. Another note, if you plan on towing with it I would highly recommend upgrading the pads and rotors.

Yes, been around lightnings and the SC Harley. If the Harley would have been able to tow more than 9000#s comfortably I would have got one of those instead. Both can be made very fast

I've had BFG KO 285.75.16's on mine since I bought it and although I don't do much off roading with it but the little bit I have done was a blast. The thing is a MONSTER in the snow in 4X4. I wanted to try some boggers in the mud but couldn't afford two sets of tires and didn't want the boggers as my DD tires (too much road noise for me).

Depending on where you are in the lower 48 the studded tires may be over kill but I don't need to tell you that. Being in SoCal I don't worry about much in the way of weather and cannot use studded tires here anyway.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:23 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jayz66ragtop
I have the stock 3.73s and very happy with them. No issues with getting going and that supercharger is positive displacement vs mine which is centrifugal so your torque would come in a little earlier. I don't think I would go with lower gears simply because you will be revving higher at highway speeds and wasting money.

An example of mine towing, I put my sister's F350 dually (about 7500#s) on my open car trailer (about 4000#s) and towed it 250 miles with no issues. My Ex knew it was back there but didn't hinder it much, I would say about the same "performance" as a stock Ex with no load. I have not done the spring conversion either and can tell my rear is sagging a little with no load so I am sure eventually I'll do them. Another note, if you plan on towing with it I would highly recommend upgrading the pads and rotors.

Yes, been around lightnings and the SC Harley. If the Harley would have been able to tow more than 9000#s comfortably I would have got one of those instead. Both can be made very fast

I've had BFG KO 285.75.16's on mine since I bought it and although I don't do much off roading with it but the little bit I have done was a blast. The thing is a MONSTER in the snow in 4X4. I wanted to try some boggers in the mud but couldn't afford two sets of tires and didn't want the boggers as my DD tires (too much road noise for me).

Depending on where you are in the lower 48 the studded tires may be over kill but I don't need to tell you that. Being in SoCal I don't worry about much in the way of weather and cannot use studded tires here anyway.
Thanks Jay,
I am hoping that Crazy001 will chime in about gears, as he has the 4.30's I believe. I just got the quote from the gear shop to do a complete gear swap to 4.30's and a TruTrac limited slip gear locker to the rear. It is a bit pricey, but may still be worth it.

I am also familiar with SoCal. I lived there off and on for over 11 years as I was stationed in San Diego at the Sub Base, and my wife is originally from the South Bay area of San Diego. You are right, not much need for snow tires down south. But here in Alaska, studs are a life saver. We just had a Blizzard Sunday night Monday morning and had between 6 and 9 inches dumped with winds blowing and drifting it to much deeper in spots. My pizza cutter studs did great on my F350 plowing snow, and there was even some ice below which makes things even slipperier.

Well, I will be going over Friday to look at the EX. Saw pics last night, and it looks pretty good for a 12 year old Ex. Please keep the comments coming!

Garry in Kodiak

Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Thanks Jay,
I am hoping that Crazy001 will chime in about gears, as he has the 4.30's I believe. I just got the quote from the gear shop to do a complete gear swap to 4.30's and a TruTrac limited slip gear locker to the rear. It is a bit pricey, but may still be worth it.

I am also familiar with SoCal. I lived there off and on for over 11 years as I was stationed in San Diego at the Sub Base, and my wife is originally from the South Bay area of San Diego. You are right, not much need for snow tires down south. But here in Alaska, studs are a life saver. We just had a Blizzard Sunday night Monday morning and had between 6 and 9 inches dumped with winds blowing and drifting it to much deeper in spots. My pizza cutter studs did great on my F350 plowing snow, and there was even some ice below which makes things even slipperier.

Well, I will be going over Friday to look at the EX. Saw pics last night, and it looks pretty good for a 12 year old Ex. Please keep the comments coming!

Garry in Kodiak

may i ask you what they quoted you for 4:30s and tru-trac? i would also love to see pics of this thing!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Hey fellow Alaskan!

I started a second post on the main superduty page

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12507862

so I could hear from our truck owning brothers.

I posted some pics of the Ex over there, It is definitely a sleeper, as it looks like you average every day soccer mom Ex. Till you start it up or open the hood...

Let me know what you think?

Got my flights, leaving Friday at lunch!

Garry

Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

i'm wishing i had the cash! because i could beat you to it haha...damn thats clean and i love the blower. hope you can get it!!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Hi Garry,

You have a good memory, my Ex does have 4.30s. For a stock engine I highly recommend them as they make quite a difference on the highway. But yours will have a positive displacement supercharger which should provide you with a sizable increase in torque even in the lower RPM ranges. If it makes greater than 15% more power at lower RPMs then you would be putting more power to the ground than I even with my 4.30s.

So I would suggest taking a test drive and doing all the reading you can regarding engine durability while towing under boost. You would be putting less load on the engine in a given gear with 4.30s, but you would also be burning more fuel to do it. Unfortunately I just don't have the experience with boosted gasoline engines to be of any more help.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas

Will have more pics in a few weeks when I get it home in a few weeks!

Till then enjoy!

Garry

Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

you still in town or headed back to the island ?

Old 11-24-2012, 02:07 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
you still in town or headed back to the island ?
I took the last Era flight home last night. Hope to be back in Anchor-town around the 18th of December pending work and ferry reservations...

Garry

Old 11-24-2012, 02:08 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

if you get a second of down time when your back up it would be great to meet up. check out that monster v10.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:14 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
Living on an island with North America's apex predator the supercharger sure makes sense to me...

Old 11-24-2012, 02:17 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
if you get a second of down time when your back up it would be great to meet up. check out that monster v10.
We'll try to make that work out. After driving our bone stock 2000 V10 Ex in WA, and driving this, it is night and day! The shifts are firm. The power is instant, and watch out when she gets above 2000 rpm with your foot still in it. Don't get me wrong, it's not like a turbo, where there is lag, it pulls strong off the line and just gets better as the rpms climb!

What part of town are you in?
The ex is south of Dimond, and north of Minnesota. We regularly get up to Elmendorf, as I am retired USN. I would like to get up to Palmer to pick up some Amsoil, as that is what I used to use in the lower 48, but shipping hazmat to an island is difficult and EXPENSIVE!

Talk to you soon!
Garry

Old 11-24-2012, 04:32 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

i'm on the hillside but work in mid town. i have friends out in wasilla so palmer is just a puddle jump over. if you needed i'm sure we could work something out i could pick some up for you before you come back for the excursion? that way you could just bring it with you on the ferry. let me know i'd be glad to help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharged V10 Excursion