1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Starting the sheetmetal work

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Indybeer
Laughing Gas
Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts
Starting the sheetmetal work

Finally got started with patch work on the cab. Been slow going. Want to make sure I don't screw it up too bad.

Since it was a small area, I thought the passenger side toe board would be a good place to start.

I started by cutting out the rusted section....I made up a new piece to fit and attempted to butt weld it....that was a mistake! No matter what I did I kept blowing holes in panel.

So I cut it back out and picked up a pneumatic air punch/flare tool. Made up a new panel and welded it in. So much easier!

Now I am trying to decide if I weld the seam along the inside or leave it and use a filler. My welds don't look so good...which is why I didn't post a pic of the outside.

But at least I am back working at it after a long hiatus!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That flare is a brilliant idea! Looks very clean.

Don't worry about how your welds look, as long as they have penetration that's all that matters. Try moving the welding gun like a small brush, making tiny circular patterns that slightly overlap each other like you do when you brush your teeth.

Something that should also help keep it from blowing through is to not weld how you normally would but pull the trigger, arc it, then stop immediately. It weld a spot the size of a pea but won't blow through. This does take practice though and the two pieces can't have any sort of gap between them. If you do start to blow through let it cool off a little (no hotter than cherry red) and aim the gun towards the side that is thicker, ie the one the puddle went to last time. With it a little thicker you can pull the weld towards the thinner side, just don't point the gun at the thin side again, you want to draw the weld over to it and have the sides connect more of a side effect than trying to weld them together.

It's looking great! Keep up the good work!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Indybeer
Laughing Gas
Thanks.....been laying down a lot of welds on scrap metal getting the hang of it. Think I finally found the right power setting for what I am doing.

Next I am going to start on the floor section around the battery box opening. One piece at a time....may take me a while but at least I can say I did it myself.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
I have an old piece of copper pipe that I flattened that I use underneath where the seam is between two panels helps to prevent the blow outs and the weld does not stick to the copper. They sell these but it was no big deal to make. I fixing my running boards and using it all the time right now.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goodluck..you're coming along fine..I like the sheet metal work.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Indybeer
Laughing Gas
More patching.....

Not pretty I know! Up next....finish welding in the floor. Going to wait till tomorrow and get a fresh start.

I have been working an hour or so then walking away from it. I find it helps keep me from rushing and making stupid mistakes.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heard some good comments about tips on welding sheet..and maybe you've heard this already..but what helped me was to get in the habit of having my bare hand laid flat on the sheet and when it got so hot I had to "lift"..then it was time to let it all cool...like your tacs..that's how its done ..and I suppose most peeps do a spot weld and then skip way over as far away as possible and do the next (go back and forth until finished)etc..helps get less warping-less heat buildup..you're doing good.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 PM
HittByA54
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your doing a great job. I will be follow as i will be doing the same work soon after i finish my fenders. Keep up the good work. i like the way your approach is . a little at a time and walking away so you dont get ahead of yourself.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Good job, thats how we all learn. Yours looks better than mine did,thats for sure. keep it up, a patch at a time.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:25 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics of your progress. I admire the fact you haven't let the metal work intimidate you and are methodically knocking it out. Well Done!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dennisb56
I have an old piece of copper pipe that I flattened that I use underneath where the seam is between two panels helps to prevent the blow outs and the weld does not stick to the copper. They sell these but it was no big deal to make. I fixing my running boards and using it all the time right now.
On the subject of the copper backer, I recently participated in the tech contest on Hamb site with this......

"Welding Tech"....When you don't have an extra hand. - THE H.A.M.B.

I've found it to be really handy when you don't have an easy reach behind the panel that you are welding.

This particular setup is handy when you need the copper backing in a fairly confined space.

The magnet is strong enough to stay in place and the sheet metal arm holding the copper has enough spring to keep the copper firmly against the back side where you will be welding.

For the odd ball situations this set-up works in a lot of occasions.

This may be of some help.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like that! Mind if I make my own?
Jeremy

Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Indybeer
Laughing Gas
I've got a couple pieces of copper that I made out of a pipe I had laying around....and a couple of big magnets I salvaged years ago from a ramp sweeper. I use them constantly while I am fitting and welding.

Did some more welding this morning.....till I ran out of wire. Forgot to keep an eye on it. Will need to go back and touch up a couple areas to fill the voids, but that will wait since I am about out of C25 also. Looks like a trip to the welding store is in my future!

Old 09-28-2012, 10:51 AM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Drew, Nice job on the copper magnet holder, nice post on the HAMB. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:17 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking very good. A couple of years ago I was stalled at do this. Then I visited a friend of my father-in-law that does high quality restorations. His 48 Studebaker PU was beautiful but the welds where he couldn't grind them out, like the corners of the fire wall, looked what I was doing. I realized that I could do it. BTY, yours look just as good if not better than some of his work so keep it up.

And, I wish I had used the copper backer idea a lot more. I just kept chasing the blow out with a big gobby puddle and then ground it out.

Quick Reply: Starting the sheetmetal work