6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:57 AM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change question

This is my second time to change the oil since I've owned the truck, and it's time to change more than just the oil filter. This is my first diesel, so I'm not sure what all filters need to be changed every 15k. Obviously the oil filter, and the fuel filter next to it, anything else?
Thanks.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:07 PM
WH 6.0
Senior User
A 6.0 has 2 fuel filters. You obviously have the one near the oil filter on top of the motor but you have another one below the driver's side door in the frame rail. The fuel filters are changed as a set (and sold that way too). Another piece of advise,ALWAYS USE OEM FORD FILTERS FOR BOTH OIL AND FUEL!! This is VERY important!! Ford says 5'000 mi. oil filter changes and 15'000 fuel filter changes. Some people,including myself change them sooner than this. Also,check the filter minder for your air filter when you service and see if it needs changing as well (but these usually last a very long time).

Old 09-07-2012, 12:10 PM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
Originally Posted by WH 6.0
A 6.0 has 2 fuel filters. You obviously have the one near the oil filter on top of the motor but you have another one below the driver's side door in the frame rail. The fuel filters are changed as a set (and sold that way too). Another piece of advise,ALWAYS USE OEM FORD FILTERS FOR BOTH OIL AND FUEL!! This is VERY important!! Ford says 5'000 mi. oil filter changes and 15'000 fuel filter changes. Some people,including myself change them sooner than this. Also,check the filter minder for your air filter when you service and see if it needs changing as well (but these usually last a very long time).
Awesome, thanks a lot.
Where is this filter minder you speak of? Never heard of it, I always just opened the housing to see if the air filter was dirty haha.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:02 PM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordTruckEnthusaist
Awesome, thanks a lot.
Where is this filter minder you speak of? Never heard of it, I always just opened the housing to see if the air filter was dirty haha.
If you look at the rear of the air cleaner there is a round clear plastic gizmo with some colored lines on it which is pretty self-explanatory how to read. There is a piece inside that will move further out the more the filter gets restricted and once it gets out to the line that says it needs to be replaced,you should do so. I have read on here that it is not uncommon for a highway driven truck to go near 100,000 mi. before they need to be changed. Also,your tranny fluid/filter should be changed every 30,000 mi. Your tranny filter is up under the front passenger side of the truck near the frame rail. If you lay down on the ground and slide up under the truck from the front over near the passenger side front tire you can't miss it. It's a round aluminum colored canister with a hex head on the bottom of it. The filter resembles a roll of toilet paper only a little smaller. The "proper" way to have your tranny flushed and fluid changed is to go to a dealer that offers a "hot flush" because the tranny has a thermostat inside that will not allow it to be flushed out completely without the fluid being heated. However many people on here just change it themselves. Just search "tranny flush" for details.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:03 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckEnthusaist
Awesome, thanks a lot.
It's to the rear drivers side of the factory filter. Literally sticks out like a sore thumb and has wires connected to it.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Sorry about

When you change the transmission line filter
how much runs out and will it make a mess ?

Sean

Old 09-07-2012, 02:47 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Sorry about

When you change the transmission line filter
how much runs out and will it make a mess ?

Sean
Funney you mention mess

I flushed the Power steering and Hydro boost last weekend I got Oil EVERYWHERE Fact its still leaking alittle but the puddle gets smaller everyday

I got all the right stuff to do it in the end but the mess was already made

Safe to say I got a pretty good coat of Oil on driveway

I also changed the trans case fluid had a 5 gal bucket threre well it overshot the Bucket till the end

Old 09-07-2012, 05:25 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I also change the external trans filter every 10,000 miles and 8 qts. of Mercon SP or LV fluid. Not required but I do tow and am **** when it comes to maintenance. If you don't do this a hot flush and external filter is required every 30,000 miles per ford.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
When you do the external trans filter will it get messy?
I don't want to have to move off the driveway on the
gravel.

Sean

Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
When you do the external trans filter will it get messy?
I don't want to have to move off the driveway on the
gravel.

Sean
The filter housing is full.
don't tip it over on to your shirt....
only a few drops come out of the
Opening, paper towel or shop
towel will be fine.
You'll need an air-impact
wrench to take it off easily.
By hand you will twist the pipes.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Set the impact wrench at it's lowest setting and just give it a couple hits to loosen the housing. You can then remove it the rest of the way with a ratchet wrench and 22 MM socket.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
Doesn't need to be an "AIR" impact either...mine electric impact does great! Some things we buy at Harbor Freight really work!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:19 PM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
Originally Posted by WH 6.0
If you look at the rear of the air cleaner there is a round clear plastic gizmo with some colored lines on it which is pretty self-explanatory how to read. There is a piece inside that will move further out the more the filter gets restricted and once it gets out to the line that says it needs to be replaced,you should do so. I have read on here that it is not uncommon for a highway driven truck to go near 100,000 mi. before they need to be changed. Also,your tranny fluid/filter should be changed every 30,000 mi. Your tranny filter is up under the front passenger side of the truck near the frame rail. If you lay down on the ground and slide up under the truck from the front over near the passenger side front tire you can't miss it. It's a round aluminum colored canister with a hex head on the bottom of it. The filter resembles a roll of toilet paper only a little smaller. The "proper" way to have your tranny flushed and fluid changed is to go to a dealer that offers a "hot flush" because the tranny has a thermostat inside that will not allow it to be flushed out completely without the fluid being heated. However many people on here just change it themselves. Just search "tranny flush" for details.

Thanks, I'll have to check that. Is there a certain procedure with changing the fuel filters too? Normally when I just change the oil I just loosen the oil filter, let it sit for a minute or two while I get all my stuff together, remove the oil drain plug, put it back on then put the oil filter back on and add the oil. When do I incorporate the fuel filters? Just do it after I loosen the oil filter cap, change the fuel filters then drain the oil pan? Or does it matter what order you do the filters in?

Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
Not really..... most important is you DO change 'em...and use stock filters!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 PM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
Okay great. I always use motorcraft filters, even my previous truck(v10). So I can just change my oil as I usually do, then just change the fuel filters and I'm good to go?

Quick Reply: Oil change question