In a spring quandry

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
In a spring quandry

Hey guys,

As some of you may have read from my OTHER THREAD in the Excursion forum my Ex purchase didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked. All four springs are shot; the fronts are riding 1/2" from the jounce bumpers and the rears are exhibiting noticeable sag under the tongue weight of a light trailer. On top of that I can feel the clunking of axle wrap whenever I get on the gas, which is mildly annoying compared to the rest of the problems.

So my question is whether or not any of you guys have been successful at cheating this by installing airbags instead of new springs? I don't think I can get away with this on the front because of how bad they are, my concern is that even if the airbags support the truck the springs are less able to properly locate the axle and may eventually crack and break. But I'm not so sure of this on the rear, as other than an irritating clunk every now and then I'm not sure of any reason not to just install airbags.

This thing needs a good deal more work than I was planning on doing to it, and therefore I'm trying to spend as little as possible. To make matters worse I have to have it ready for a cross country move towing ~12,000 lbs around the first of October!

What do you guys think?

Old 09-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Quick, cheap band-aid fix that works, especially for towing is adding the RAS.

Riffraff Diesel: Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit

Stewart

Old 09-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I would grab Superduty springs for as little as possible from junkyard AND do the RAS. Once you are settled in new home you can go back and dial in the suspension. You may even like it with SD springs considering you've had 2 SD's previously

Old 09-03-2012, 06:57 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
I have X/C codes going on mine this week finally! I got them from SD Truck Springs when they had their sale back in May. Just have not had time to put them on yet. If they are that badly worn, I would change them out. My rears are ok, new ones going in anyway, but front ones are shot. I put brand new bump stops on mine a year ago and this is what they looked like last week.

and the left looks like this now
I sincerely hope that she will be much better Thursday after she gets her 'lifestyle' lift done According to guys here, she should be just great.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Tylus
I would grab Superduty springs for as little as possible from junkyard AND do the RAS. Once you are settled in new home you can go back and dial in the suspension. You may even like it with SD springs considering you've had 2 SD's previously
Thought about that, but who's to say that junkyard springs will be in any better shape than the ones that are already on it. Sure they may be rated for more weight, but the problem with these are that they are no longer capable of living up to their ratings. Think I found the solution though.

This evening I decided to see how the springs handle a known weight. So I took 840 lbs of sand and threw it in the back:

And it actually looked pretty good:

With some room left on the bump stops

So perhaps the fact that my rear bump stops are a little beat up is more a reflection on the **** poor condition of the shocks rather than the springs being as weakened as I first thought. I think I'm going to replace the fronts with whichever spring code is higher than my current ones and throw airbags on the back for the upcoming trip. Can someone get me some info on the spring codes and weight ratings of the various springs?

Old 09-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Stand by, will find one of my old posts.

Stewart

Edit: Sent you a text. Gimme ur email so I can send you the Excel spreadsheet.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Karlsgems
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ex had airbags so I was able to limp along for awhile. But seriously, dude, you are going to want to do the spring swap. Your kidneys will thank you, believe me.

I finally got some new leafs and it rides a lot better. Good luck with that. I wish I knew how to do all that stuff myself. You are a trooper!

Take care,
karl.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Stand by, will find one of my old posts.

Stewart

Edit: Sent you a text. Gimme ur email so I can send you the Excel spreadsheet.
The one that looks like this? https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11903415

Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 AM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
I agree with the guys above about using the RAS for your current situation to help with the weak rear springs.

As far as your clunk you may also want to investigate the drive shaft spines that need some special grease.

Here is a link with some more info on it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...d-splines.html

Tim M

Old 09-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Thanks Tim, I appreciate you digging the link up for me. Greasing the slip joint is on my list of stuff to do, and I'm hoping that solves the clunking problem. For some reason I was thinking it was axle wrap, and part of that is how beat up the rubber bumper is on the overload spring. But that could also be caused by nonfunctioning shocks.

Got some new shocks on the way though, they arrive on Thursday thanks to TrdLtly.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:23 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
I just finished reading your other post and as you mentioned you do have that on your To-Do list, excellent. I hope that solves the clunk.

Looks like you are off to a good start and you seem to know your way around the mechanics of vehicles.

Tim M

Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
I think I got this figured out. After lots of thought and conversation with Stewart, I orderd V-code springs for the front. I'll be ordering airbags for the rear as soon as I get home. It's gonna be a busy weekend!

Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Don't forget to order new u-bolts and nuts.

Tim M

Old 09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by timf150

Tim M
Thanks Tim, I'll be sure to pick some up. My wife will be picking them up with the springs from Tousley tomorrow!

Old 09-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by timf150

Tim M
Not a bad idea...safety first and all....but (shhhhhhhhh) I reused mine.

Stewart

Quick Reply: In a spring quandry