Sponsored by:

In a spring quandry

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wildstang
Seems like they wanted to keep ride hight low also, to make them more appealing to the city folk.
Mostly the women that don't like the idea of climbing into a truck and lifting the kids up into it.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
I like my soft springs and it rarely bottoms out but I might just throw some slightly longer shackles in the front so it never bottoms out. I had my share of rough riding vehicles. I had a couple Cadillacs and a couple Lincolns and I kind of liked it ever since then.
Brent, can you tell me how much clearance you have from the front bump stops when your truck is sitting level? I only have around one inch, and I'm curious to see if that's normal. I wish they still made them, I'd be very curious to see what this clearance was when it was new.

And also, look what found their way into my garage today...

Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Looks like new V codes from Tousley!

I wish I could remember how much room I had. Unfortunately it's been 6 years since I did the V code/B code mod.

Stewart

Old 09-06-2012, 01:56 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
I have 3/4" to the bump-stop and I like the ride but it will bottom out if I hit a speed-bump that I didn't see or going into a dip too fast so I might just add some 1" shackles which would make it more drivable.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:10 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ride height was so the beast can fit in an average garage. That is the same reason the roof rack is about useless.

FedEx still shows the shocks coming in today. At FedEx destination facility: SAINT PAUL, MN

Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
I have 3/4" to the bump-stop and I like the ride but it will bottom out if I hit a speed-bump that I didn't see or going into a dip too fast so I might just add some 1" shackles which would make it more drivable.
Okay, so that's normal it seems. Last night I couldn't help but wonder if shorter bump stops and new shocks would solve my problems without replacing the springs, as I'm nervous about how those V-code springs are going to ride.

Originally Posted by TrdLtly
Ride height was so the beast can fit in an average garage. That is the same reason the roof rack is about useless.

FedEx still shows the shocks coming in today. At FedEx destination facility: SAINT PAUL, MN
That's great Scott, I still really appreciate what you're doing. The timing couldn't be better, today's my birthday.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:57 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Okay, so that's normal it seems. Last night I couldn't help but wonder if shorter bump stops and new shocks would solve my problems without replacing the springs, as I'm nervous about how those V-code springs are going to ride.
I am with you Tom. I didn't buy a truck... I bought an SUV. I have owned many trucks and the ride has never been harsh, but on my SUV I want to ride in comfort with my coffee cup in hand.

That's great Scott, I still really appreciate what you're doing. The timing couldn't be better, today's my birthday.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Consider it a gift from FTE for being a moderator.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User
I am with you Tom. I didn't buy a truck... I bought an SUV. I have owned many trucks and the ride has never been harsh, but on my SUV I want to ride in comfort with my coffee cup in hand.
That's precisely why I wish I could test drive new springs before deciding what to buy. It will be a while before I make it down to springs on my list, but people are always talking about more or less "harsh", "riding like a truck" vs. a "slop wagon" etc. The weak stock springs will already launch the kids in the back row through the ceiling if I hit speed bumps at more than 5 MPH. (I think speed bumps/humps are evil, BTW.)

Old 09-06-2012, 10:07 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend

Shorter bump stops and new shocks would do little or nothing for bottoming and I won't get heavy new springs because of unknown ride height, ride stiffness, expense, and effort which is why I will choose the slightly longer shackles from eBay (just type in; Excursion shackles)......... no quandary. Good luck, a lot of people are using those springs.
Bump stops and shocks are quickly overcome in a potential bottoming situation. The bump stops are mainly for that "whack" noise you would get without them, and new shocks would slow the bottoming action so little (if at all) you wouldn't notice it and couldn't even measure it, especially with weights like that.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I'm nervous about how those V-code springs are going to ride.
Don't be. My Ex is my wife's daily driver and she loves how it rides.

Stewart

Old 09-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Don't be. My Ex is my wife's daily driver and she loves how it rides.

Stewart
True, but her engine is 400 lbs heavier than mine.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Well, if you wanna swap the new ones for a set that's been broken in, lemme know!

Stewart

Old 09-06-2012, 03:03 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Mine rides very well and I'm keeping it that way.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:13 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Mine rides very well and I'm keeping it that way.
What size shackles did you install? Front and rear?

Old 09-06-2012, 03:22 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
What size shackles did you install? Front and rear?
I haven't yet but I am thinking of getting maybe 1 1/2" longer shackles for the front to level out the truck and nearly eliminate bottoming.

Quick Reply: In a spring quandry