Sync help and Head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:56 PM
CountryD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sync help and Head unit

Ok all of you Stereo Guru's. I need some SERIOUS help.

I have a 2012 F350 Lariat W/ Premium Stereo (Non Navi)

I have looked and looked for about 3 weeks now and have been told that in order to keep my Bluetooth Mic and Sync operations I will have to have a Idatalink Module in order to keep the steering wheel controls and to be able to still make calls and use the head liner mic. Is this TRUE? I dont care about texting or using a smart phone. I just want a Kick A** head unit and still keep steering wheel controls and use my Ipod and be able to receive and make phone calls through my Stereo.

I have looked at the Pioneer AVH P8400 and the Kenwood DDx719.

Not really a Stereo Wiz, but I need some damn help with this.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CountryD

I have looked and looked for about 3 weeks now and have been told that in order to keep my Bluetooth Mic and Sync operations I will have to have a Idatalink Module in order to keep the steering wheel controls and to be able to still make calls and use the head liner mic. Is this TRUE? I dont care about texting or using a smart phone. I just want a Kick A** head unit and still keep steering wheel controls and use my Ipod and be able to receive and make phone calls through my Stereo.

That would be true, Most highend audio systems have the breakout box you need. Most are around $100.00, you should check the manufactor website to see if they offer this.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:40 PM
CountryD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Muffinman
That would be true, Most highend audio systems have the breakout box you need. Most are around $100.00, you should check the manufactor website to see if they offer this.
Thanks Muffin, Ive talked with Crutchfield and they told me the same thing. But what sucks is that the Idatalink Module for the Sync System only works with Kenwood systems, for now anyways. Thanks for the help

Old 09-01-2012, 07:41 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Thanks Muffin, Ive talked with Crutchfield and they told me the same thing. But what sucks is that the Idatalink Module for the Sync System only works with Kenwood systems, for now anyways. Thanks for the help
You are correct, Kenwood is the only one that offers this option at the moment. There is this that is available however Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future I looked it over and didn't like the idea of having a display you had to mount, plus to receive the sync info you had to have the head unit set to aux which in the case of my Pioneer is a blank screen. I just installed a Pioneer AVIC-F90BT, connected an iPod touch to it, got the steering wheel control interface, installed the Pioneer XM radio tuner module, and don't even utilize sync, and to be honest I don't really miss it.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:10 PM
12V Guy
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

As was mentioned, there are options from a few interface makers available. What is nice about the Maestro/Kenwood solution is that the Sync features you like are nicely intergrated into the radio GUIs. In addition, you get graphical access to your call logs, phonebook and Phone pairing menu. You can see the details of the solution here: www.idatalink.com/maestro.

Steering wheel control integration is seamless, all buttons can have two radio features associated to them.

Thanks for the interest in Maestro.

12V Guy

Old 09-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Slowlearner
Mountain Pass
I have the idatalink Maestro and kenwood 9990. I have to say that that integration is VERY GOOD and GUI of the kenwood is great, you will not be disappointed. The OEM sync hands-free call quality appears to be retained. Also I like that the auto syncing with my phone (each time I get in the vehicle) still works like it did with the factory headunit.

My only gripes- Loss of Sat radio with the Maestro module. The Sat radio tuner on the Superduty is inside of the factory headunit therefore you lose it. Further, you can not add a Sat tuner (other than one that connects to your aux input) because the serial port on the kenwood is used up by the Maestro.

The Kenwood headunit is slower to boot than factory. This is expected due to its greater capabilities, however is wasn't something that I considered when shopping for a headunit. It's about 30 seconds for it to start playing music from key-on.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:49 AM
12V Guy
Former Vendor
Glad to hear you like the intergration! Did you get full explanation of what steering buttons do? Assuming you have them programmed with default funtions, there are some really cool and exclusive things you can do with Maestro and your SW buttons. For example:

Button...........Press.......................... Press and Hold
Volume Down..Volume Down................ATT On/Off
Media............Next Source..................Previous Source
Phone............Phone Menu/Answer.......Hang Up
Voice.............Sync Media Prompt........Sync Phone Prompt
OK.................Toggle Nav GUI.............Change FM Band

There is even a quick reference card you can print on the website when you flash to use for first few days. After that will be like second nature.

Hope you enjoy Maestro and thanks for the feedback!

Mark

Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Slowlearner
Mountain Pass
Mark, I am aware of the expanded SW button functions. The example you laid out is basically how I have mine set up.

Now, can you get on Kenwood's *** to implement a firmware update and a interface cable so that I can add sirius/xm back!!

Why do I get the feeling they are going to make me buy a new head unit rather than a firmware update....

Old 09-19-2012, 10:18 AM
12V Guy
Former Vendor
Hi,

If and when we do get a dedicated port, it will require a change in the Hardware, not the firmware. So, in a way you are correct in your feeling, but not because Kenwood or anyone else wants to "make you buy another radio".

Rather, the existing hardware only had one port on it and sharing that port for both Sat Radio and Maestro is impossible in software. We explored possibly making and external box to handle the traffic and manage the connection, but felt such a piece of hardware would price the solution out of the market.

So, we'll all have to wait and see what Kenwood does going forward...

Thanks,

Mark

Old 09-23-2012, 08:49 AM
bobsplus
Senior User
What about satalite

I looking at the kenwood dnx the latest unit, still want my sync and phone mic in the roof and steering controls, but I also want my sirius radio, what are my option?????? I work all over the county and enjoy seamless stations, comedy, music ect. Please help....

Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 AM
12V Guy
Former Vendor
@Bobsplus,

You can purchase a Kenwood unit and use either the PAC MS-FRD1 and the SWI-RC together, or the Metra FRST (as it does Sync retention and Steering wheel in one unit).

You should research these solutions and see how they have worked for others. Using Sync to play your audio will require you to set your radio on an AUX input and the text from Sync will be either on the supplied LCD or on your factory LCD at top of dash. Using the phone/voice prompts will work on any source as the radio will be muted and the call/Sync voice will be sent to your front speaker(s).

Assuming your factory sat tuner is inside your radio, you will need to purchase an aftermarket sat tuner to add to your new radio and transfer your subscription over to it.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 AM
bobsplus
Senior User
Do you have any suggestions, I like the sync for the phone, want to retain steering controls, and I like the hgarmin nav
And sat. As I go cross country????

Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Slowlearner
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bobsplus
Do you have any suggestions, I like the sync for the phone, want to retain steering controls, and I like the hgarmin nav
And sat. As I go cross country????

What suggestions are you looking for? 12V Guy has answered everything you've asked for.

- Kenwood headunit has Garmin Nav
- Satellite tuner provides the Sirius/XM
- PAC MS-FRD1 and the SWI-RC together, or the Metra FRST retain Sync and Steering wheel controls

Old 09-26-2012, 06:49 AM
bobsplus
Senior User
So the metra frst does the intregation thru the units screen, were the pac unit uses a seperate screen and what does that little screen display, I don't like the idea of a seperate screen, not very factory looking.... I want a clean look. I was reading about the meistro RR idatalink , but that uses the sat port to plug in and you loose the sat , correct?

Old 09-26-2012, 07:33 AM
12V Guy
Former Vendor
@bobsplus,

Both PAC and Metra solution can work without the screen (they both come with it). Since you have a screen that stays in the car after you pull out the radio, you can see the basic stuff without the screen. Accessing the menus and additional text is a little harder without the extra screen (as it has some controls on it).

Regading sat radio, we need to be clear. No matter what interface you choose, you will lose your OEM satellite tuner (it comes out with the radio). The difference is:

with Maestro and a Kenwood Radio, you cannot buy and install an aftermarket tuner because the port on the Kenwood is used by Maestro.

with other interfaces, they do not communicate with the radio serially, so you can use any radio you want and add buy and install a satellite tuner to replace the one that came out.

Hope this is clear.

12V Guy

Quick Reply: Sync help and Head unit