1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

For all those who want to run no fan, some info inside.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
For all those who want to run no fan, some info inside.

110 down here and I'm driving with no fan.

How does it hold up?

Just fine actually.

Now, remember this first, my coolant system is leaking and not 100%.

I'm holding 215 on the highway at 70 in 110 degree weather.

So.
If you want to run no fan, no worries.

Now, if you want your AC to work in the city, you'll have to put an electric fan to pull the air though the condenser.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:16 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you at all concerned that you're actually running hotter than you should be and not cooling properly? With the cooling system leaking it is possible that you will never build enough pressure to "overheat" since the coolant will boil at 212 degrees without the system being pressurized. I had something similar happen to my brother. He had a leak in his coolant system and had to constantly top it off. One day he was topping it off, and lost the radiator cap. He figured he would rive the car home then get another cap. The car got so hot on the way home he warped the head and blew the head gasket. Without the system being sealed, it doesn't build pressure so the coolant won't get hotter than its boiling point. You will never read "hot" on the gauge but you're actually getting the engine hotter than you should be.

I'm not trying to be a cynic, but I am wondering whether this phenomenon could be skewing your results.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Are you at all concerned that you're actually running hotter than you should be and not cooling properly? With the cooling system leaking it is possible that you will never build enough pressure to "overheat" since the coolant will boil at 212 degrees without the system being pressurized. I had something similar happen to my brother. He had a leak in his coolant system and had to constantly top it off. One day he was topping it off, and lost the radiator cap. He figured he would rive the car home then get another cap. The car got so hot on the way home he warped the head and blew the head gasket. Without the system being sealed, it doesn't build pressure so the coolant won't get hotter than its boiling point. You will never read "hot" on the gauge but you're actually getting the engine hotter than you should be.

I'm not trying to be a cynic, but I am wondering whether this phenomenon could be skewing your results.
I'm reading EOT's and its a pinhole leak in my radiator.

I still build pressure, but have to re-fill on occasions.

I notice a 3 or 4 degree difference in EOT's with it topped off.

It usually settles a half gallon low and doesn't loose anymore.

At least my system is much cleaner now after the water pump change and washing out my radiator along with the coolant filter.

I need to replace my coolant filter, I know that sucker is plugged.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:26 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
I decided to drop in the 180° t-stat when I pulled the fan off, so I rarely see over 185° even with it in the low 90's here.
Not towing, just driving around.
Sitting still it'll reach +- 190°, though, and I rarely ever use A/C.
My EOT will still get to 200 - 205 ish.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 07-02-2012, 12:31 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
so for my electric fans the switch to turn them on regulaly would prob need to be around190...?

Old 07-02-2012, 02:18 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd like to delete the fan but still need to add my temp sensor. Would out be better to have ect or eot?

Old 07-02-2012, 05:26 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about prolonged idling periods?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by FARM69
What about prolonged idling periods?
he hasn't found out yet,but in the city stuck in traffic for 5 mins,he'll have to get out of town quick and back up to speed,or shut her down beside the road and wait for her to cool down.
the e-fans on my idi wouldn't ever think about turning on at 70 either.
don't try running without a fan if you drive slow through towns,you'll have to forget about a drive through and park instead.
you wouldn't be able to carry much or tow anything,and a real hill even empty could get scary.use caution and common sense if you try and run without a fan at all.
the ford windstar e-fans were a very simple install on my idi,im sure about the same for the psd trucks.they're reliable and a dime a dozen.you'll spend more on a good grade fan controller.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
EOT is more important if you ask me, The coolant temperature would be more optional.

I'm honestly a gauge *****, but dont have the money to pursue it. which is a good thing really.

With the Scangauge monitoring the EOT, it makes things nice.

The Fan on our trucks is really heavy.

While there are no "good" electric options. But you'll need something if you want your AC and no main fan.

I just love how much nicer my truck runs without it there, and I love how much more room I have up front without it there as well.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
he hasn't found out yet,but in the city stuck in traffic for 5 mins,he'll have to get out of town quick and back up to speed,or shut her down beside the road and wait for her to cool down.
the e-fans on my idi wouldn't ever think about turning on at 70 either.
don't try running without a fan if you drive slow through towns,you'll have to forget about a drive through and park instead.
you wouldn't be able to carry much or tow anything,and a real hill even empty could get scary.use caution and common sense if you try and run without a fan at all.
the ford windstar e-fans were a very simple install on my idi,im sure about the same for the psd trucks.they're reliable and a dime a dozen.you'll spend more on a good grade fan controller.
Drove in heavy traffic in Nashville at 110 yesterday.

Truck cooled down to 210 while still.

I don't have much issues with long idle periods, it stays cool.

But If I can see where issues can happen.

most people are not going to be running in town in a HUGE truck like ours for rush hour traffic.

If I had to drive to the city all the time and was stuck in traffic, i'd have a teeny tiny car to drive around in. While I hate cars, Its easier to move around and park in the city.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:00 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
I just love how much nicer my truck runs without it there
I've been kicking around the idea of ditching the fan for a while now. Would you quantify "nicer" for me?

More power, better fuel economy, lower NVH? What makes it nicer?

Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
I am currently running with no fan...i am purely in town back and fourth from work.it is the most bizzare thing i have seen.no running hot at all.i cant believe it...

Old 07-02-2012, 08:52 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
wow,the psd sure is different than the idi.it's one of the few times my e-fans needs to work when going too slow,when it's hot out and going up a steep hill even empty,or of course going up a steep hill when loaded,or when plowing.granted,it's almost always brief,but sure is required when driving slow in traffic after a few mins.after i get up to 35ish or so on the flat,its all over.no fans required until a large hill again.
either way,they're pretty easy to cool.i imagine all the diesel trucks are.after all we all have cooling systems designed for several ton of combined gross weight,so no real surprise i suppose for those that run empty most of the time,it doesn't take much..........or in your case,nothing lol.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's also the 6.0L fan option. Supposedly you can just bolt it directly onto our clutches and done. I've read that it's as much as 2lbs lighter and flows up to 10000 cfm at full lock. My truck has never gotten hot and seems like yalls havent either but less weight without ever having to worry about heat would be nice. There's a thread on PSN right now about it but not a lot of conclusions yet.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
The fan is weigh on the crank system.

if you remove it, you'll gain horse power.
You have to spin that thing up along with your motor.

It just runs nicer to me.

Quick Reply: For all those who want to run no fan, some info inside.