Print Wikipost

Suspension air bags. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 AM
plomero2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension air bags. Need help.

Just put on a set of firestone air bags on my new 2012 f150. I just want to know if anyone knows what to do when you lift the truck with a hoist. The air bags will stretch to far. I was thinking to get a limit strap and mount it to the frame and axsel. Have any of you ran in to this. And any other ideas? Thanks or the help.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
i've got a set of air lifts on my explorer and the instructions say to keep some air in the bags at all times because of this.

the instructions on the airlifts were a bit ambigous, where it said 5psi min in one spot, and 10psi min in another, but keeping some air in them will keep the bags seated when the axle drops, whether it be by a hoist, or going off road.

I usually keep more than the min. in mine, but i've never worried about it one bit.

keep the minimum suggested air pressure in the bags, and you'll have no worries at all.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:40 AM
parkgt
5th Wheeling
The OP is concerned with lifting and pulling the bags apart, not how much pressure to put in. The weight of the axles and wheels may extend the springs too far, for the down travel limit of the airbags without the use of limit straps.

Lifting by the axles would not present a problem; but most shops lift by the frame.

Careful lifting might be needed to clarify the issue.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
The kits are typically designed to allow some over travel for this reason. If you can't lift by the rear axle then a limit strap would be the most permanent fix. Depending on what kit you have though it may be simple enough to unbolt the lower attach point and then reattach once work is completed.

Also, depending on the length of your shock this may also keep the suspension from over extending.

Just to clarify the other question though a minimum of 5psi is all that is required at all times.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
plomero2
Junior User
Originally Posted by parkgt
The OP is concerned with lifting and pulling the bags apart, not how much pressure to put in. The weight of the axles and wheels may extend the springs too far, for the down travel limit of the airbags without the use of limit straps.

Lifting by the axles would not present a problem; but most shops lift by the frame.

Yes. Thanks for the help. We tried to lift the truck after the bags were
In and they would have torn in two. I was just thinking a limit strap would work.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by parkgt

i understood the question ....

the instructions that came with my kit said that 10psi min was required to keep the bags seated and prevent overextension. That is what i said. and to that point, i have had mine lifted by the frame a number of times since installation, without an issue.

the firestones say in the kit not to lift by the frame. so in that case, you might need a limit strap.

kind of a bad design for a truck ... some of us go off road, it would be quite easy to overextend a bag in rough country ...

Old 06-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is exactly the reason I prefer to add leafs to the springs. It's a permanent fix that never needs any further attention. Yes, it rides a little rougher, but it's a truck. It's not a luxury car.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Watt-maker
Freshman User
Originally Posted by plomero2
Yes. Thanks for the help. We tried to lift the truck after the bags were
In and they would have torn in two. I was just thinking a limit strap would work.
That is one of the things that turned me away from the bag kits offered for the F150. I do go offroad and I know the axle would articulate way too much for these bags. I ran bags on my 1500 silverado but I ran the HD kit instead of the one listed for it. It actually goes on easier. I have seen some over-extension issues with the 1500 kit. The bags in the HD kit allowed for more down travel in the axle down travel. What I'm getting at is, thinking of adapting the superduty kit sometime down the road. Those bags appear to allow for more travel. For right now, running the RAS kit and liking it.