Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Got my turbo installed results and ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:50 PM
boots6868
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my turbo installed results and ??

Ok!! I got my factory 94 garrett turbo installed. it took me 3 days and worth every second of time and dollars spent.
I got the turbo off ebay for 500. 125k on it.
I spent about 200. on gauges and pillar pod
spent 125.00 on header wrap and fuel line covers

tonight was the first time running this setup. I love it! sitting in the driveway she starts whisling at about 2000rpm and really gets whistling at 2600. with 5lbs of boost was most i showed.

on the road i just cannont believe the difference. at normal driving in o/d at 45mph pyro reads about 500 to 600 when i get on hill and stomp it to passing gear. Im at 2800 rpm and pyro is 1000 water temps are 195 steady.
I have not turned up my fuel yet. and i gotta get rid of the muffler!!
Im thinking of an old fashioned thrush straight through muffler or should i just run straight pipe and no muffler?

where should i begin turning up fuel. 2 flats? to be safe.
I got to 1000 on the pyro on fairly short but steep incline about 1/4 mile run uphill truck was loaded with the usuall tools. do you think the pyro temps will get higher with a load and longer run uphill. will pyro temps go down with muffler removed. I got my pyro tied in just after #8 manifold.

Like i said tonight was first run and im already impressed how much am i missing with no fuel turned up? and muffler still in place? I have not messed with waste gate actuator rod yet. I had to make a new one as the old one was a welded up mess. so now i can adjust it. i did install it with some preload on the spring. nothing technical i had to pull it about 1/4 inch to hook it up.

So im seeing max 5lbs boost at about 2900
No boost at idle (im sure thats normal)
Pyro 1000 up hill at 2800rpm

I do know one thing i gotta change! my pillar pod blinds me at nightime
im thinking using blue or green bulbs to tone it down some.
any ideas or input always appreciated guys.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:00 AM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Make sure you don't have any preturbo exhaust leaks or boost leaks...EGTs sound a bit high for 5psi at 2900rpms

Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it dont smoke, and seeing as you have a pyro, i would would max it, then back it off a hair. What i understand from reading and some personal experience, its easyish to hit 1000 but the higher you go the harder it is to get it to climb. Im runnin a maxxed NA pump and have no egt problems and only wish i could make it smoke.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:59 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
If you are already hitting 1,000 degrees, empty and on a short pull, you don't need to add more fuel.

Likely won't see much higher boost until you put a load on. Stock turbo's do make a big difference but they don't act like the newer trucks. I barely see any boost on the gauge when driving empty.

Loads and longer pulls will make heat and lots of it. When the temps start to rise all you can do is light foot the throttle and drop gears to keep the heat under control. Removing the muffler won't do much except make you go deaf, unless the muffler on it is plugged or an old OEM.

Make sure the cooling system is top notch, use outside air to the turbo (not the hot underhood air), and an inter-cooler can bring temps down some.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:53 AM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
I can hit 12 unloaded easy and cruise freeway at 5psi. when towing up a grade tho 1100 wouldn't be uncommon for me to keep up with traffic...with the ats turbo. I'd still double check leaks and go from there. I've had some leaks from uppipe, crossover, intake hat, bolts backing the compressor housing, and wastegate rod pop off....all those created high EGTs and low boost.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:07 AM
rhkcommander959
Senior User
I make up to 5psi but only 5-600 egt on flats accelerating to 55

Old 06-19-2012, 03:53 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id ditch the muffler for a straight pipe personally.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:57 PM
boots6868
Elder User
Ok, i had a chance today to really take her out on the main highway.

The pyro is very sensitive. at highway cruising speeds. 65mph light on the pedal. about 2100 rpm, egt 800, boost about 2lbs

on a hill on the backroads. if i really dig in..foot to the floor kicked down to second gear. 2900 rpm - 3000, egts at 1100, boost @5lbs, water temps 210, no crazy smoke pulls real good, egts scared me. now this was at the top of a 1/4 mile hill with usual tool load like you see on my pic. same truck

i drove about 60 miles today. most of the time the boost was a 2 lbs or less. unless i really romped her down then she would jump to 5 but i could see the egts go up just as quickly. funny thing as soon as come off the throttle egts come right down to 500-600 at 45 mph. like i said i was suprised how sensitive and quick the egt gauge is.

I did notice that while romping her hard up the hill and boost was approaching 5lbs i had the usual nice turbo whistle but i also noticed what sounded like air pressure leak almost like a air nozzle in my shop. that went away when i come off the pedal. i didnt check yet to see if my snail gasket pushed out or not. i just used a normal material gasket that was made for a air cleaner/carb setup. do i need a viton o-ring here?

Old 06-19-2012, 04:02 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
What's your IP timing set at? Have you adjusted wastegate?

Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i would never give this truck more fuel right now.hook up to something or haul a good load,and your going to be fighting with EGT's like mad already.
what do you have for a down pipe? crushed stock or updated 3" ?

Old 06-19-2012, 05:09 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i would never give this truck more fuel right now.hook up to something or haul a good load,and your going to be fighting with EGT's like mad already.
what do you have for a down pipe? crushed stock or updated 3" ?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:47 PM
rhkcommander959
Senior User
Soap suds will let you see if you have a boost leak.

Is the air filter clogged or dirty? Could have a clogged up filter or muffler helping raise egts

Old 06-19-2012, 08:03 PM
boots6868
Elder User
Im running the stock cast 2 piece design. I know I know but thats what the turbo came with. I will look into a straight design...Any suggestions?

I have a brand new filter assembly. its a straight aluminum job 3 inch with a coned type filter on the end. i did not get it out to the front as much as i would like to. actually i would move my battery out of the way and cut or drill holes through the radiator support and make a intake box and funnel the cool air into it. im basicly drawing hot engine air.

As to timing. i bought the truck 2 years ago. and since owning it, it always had stumble/miss around 65mph and heavy blue smoke out the exhaust get on the skinny and it goes away. i put up with that untill more recently it started missing at around 45mph and throwing the blue smoke.
cdr was changed no change. injectors were tested and fine. so i thought about the IP timing. upon inspection it was set static timing(both lines inline). I know the guy before me said there was new ip put on by ford. im assuming they just set it lined up and figured good enough. so i did bump the timing toward passenger side about a 1/16th inch, just a sliver and man what difference that made. no more missing at any speed or blue smoke. and hardly any at idle.

Im really wondering why i got so much egts.
I know turning up the fuel does that. (mine is untouched)
I did get turbo type injectors for this build. could that be it? are they allowing more fuel by design? keep in mind i dont see any black smoke at all even when getting on it.
thanks guys.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 AM
southtexasidi
Senior User
If your running the stock crushed downpipe, get rid of it. When I put my ATS turbo on, I had to run the stock DP for a while. I saw 500 deg egt's cruising at 40mph with it, et's were just high in general. I could only see 5lbs. of boost at WOT. So I bought a banks 3in. downpipe, believe it or not I gained 2-3 pounds of boost and see 100 degres less on the pyrometer than with the crappy stock DP.

Are you familiar with the 3in. exhaust housing upgrade? That could be somthing to consider to lower your EGT's

Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 PM
boots6868
Elder User
Originally Posted by southtexasidi
If your running the stock crushed downpipe, get rid of it. When I put my ATS turbo on, I had to run the stock DP for a while. I saw 500 deg egt's cruising at 40mph with it, et's were just high in general. I could only see 5lbs. of boost at WOT. So I bought a banks 3in. downpipe, believe it or not I gained 2-3 pounds of boost and see 100 degres less on the pyrometer than with the crappy stock DP.

Are you familiar with the 3in. exhaust housing upgrade? That could be somthing to consider to lower your EGT's
Im am not familiar with the 3 inch upgrade. Im assuming this would be a kit that includes new manifolds and crossover pipe? that would definately move some air. Do you know offhand the banks Downpipe #?? he he im gonna go google it!! lol thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Got my turbo installed results and ??