6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

external oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:34 AM
daddykitty
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have doubts about ipr's system...just a gut feeling i'm getting

Old 10-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
The filter kit looks good and you could use that
block that has the 2 ports. Not sure about the remote oil
cooler. You should not have to change it that often
if you keep up on the maintenance. Now if I
were going to install this engine in something
where access was going to be a BIG problem
like a boat than I can see where that would
be a help.

Sean

Sean

Old 10-10-2012, 01:28 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean, here we go again. When do we sleep??? Lol

Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I am not really sure. One of the cats did not want to
stay in the room that they sleep in. So He is here in my room
and wants to play. This is what I get for having not one but three
Savannah cats The big one is an F1 the other two are F7a
The one sitting up is the one being a pest tonight
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Sean

Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 AM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just another update on the instal for this unit..... I don't believe this kit is quite ready. There seems to be a few bugs with it and it looks as though the instructions for the install are questionable at best.... unless the guy in the vids was not using them. I had mentioned a few months ago that I had thought oil changes with this thing would be a bit of a pain, trying to get into that housing to change the filter and this fella confirms that. Also 50 degree deltas on a pretty much factory oil cooling system? Not for me! I don't know if the extra lengths of coolant and oil feed hose are to blame or what but that's unacceptable. At any rate you can check out his latest video and decide for yourself..... I am going to add his 2 latest vids to my previous post as well so that they are altogether for future reference.

IPR has me sold on the High Flow Coolant Filter and their Gen II EGR Delete Kit but as for their Oil Cooler Relocation Kit...... No go!

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 8 - YouTube

Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
I too am not quite sold on this oil cooler relocate yet. I agree after the initial cooling system cleaning and oil cooler replacement along with coolant filter install you shouldn't really have to replace the oil cooler again. It seems to be changing the oil filter is gonna be a PITA with this setup, not to mention all the extra hoses would seem to have an effect on flow. I like their high flow coolant filter and EGR delete, but this thing seems sketchy at this point. Also, the BPD kit is cool, but I completely forgot about when you're at idle with no airflow over the cooler. That's bad news.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM
turbo60
Freshman User
I understand all your concerns about oil filter changes. The reality is that it does not take more than 1 minute to loosen the 2 oil lines coming out of the oil cap. Once the oil lines are off you would replace the oil filter exactly as you would with an OEM oil filter. There would be a small amount of oil spillover when the cap is removed but if you follow the instructions and have a few extra rags around the housing it's a piece of cake. Once you see all the reviews, photo's and videos of the IPR external oil cooler kit and is still not convinced, I'll would probably assume that nothing will change your views. If we were to use an oil filter adapter with a spin on filter it would require much more hoses to route the oil to the filter and back into the valley of the engine, which would be contradictive that long oil hoses would cause flow issues.

Your concern regarding the "all those oil lines". In perpective total length of the oil cooler hoses are only 36" out and 34" in, total hose length less than 6ft total. If you look at any other kits out in the market you will find that their hoses exceed 12ft nearly double.

I think it's too early to rule out that IPR's kit is no good because one person on youtube is having some installation issues and is claiming a 50 degree delta spread. Based on the numerous data and reviews by other customers the kit works. I'm comfident that we'll get his kit worked out.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:27 PM
turbo60
Freshman User
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
I too am not quite sold on this oil cooler relocate yet. I agree after the initial cooling system cleaning and oil cooler replacement along with coolant filter install you shouldn't really have to replace the oil cooler again. It seems to be changing the oil filter is gonna be a PITA with this setup, not to mention all the extra hoses would seem to have an effect on flow. I like their high flow coolant filter and EGR delete, but this thing seems sketchy at this point. Also, the BPD kit is cool, but I completely forgot about when you're at idle with no airflow over the cooler. That's bad news.

Check out all the post on powerstroke.org, several customers have cleaned, flushed, changed oil coolers and installed a bypass filter from other manufacturers and only to find more contamination after installing IPR's High flow coolant filter.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:46 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I've never had issues with hose length on my Bulletproof cooler, nor have I had any difference in the length of time it takes the dash pressure "gauge" to register pressure. It's simply NEVER been an issue.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:55 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I've never had issues with hose length on my Bulletproof cooler, nor have I had any difference in the length of time it takes the dash pressure "gauge" to register pressure. It's simply NEVER been an issue.
Ditto, I too have the BPD kit. And concur

Old 10-11-2012, 03:11 PM
berick
Elder User
Originally Posted by turbo60
Check out all the post on powerstroke.org, several customers have cleaned, flushed, changed oil coolers and installed a bypass filter from other manufacturers and only to find more contamination after installing IPR's High flow coolant filter.
That's my point Vince.... I want to believe in your oil cooler relocation kit just as much as you do and I have read the threads (that are linked to each other within the threads) but the reviews are slim right now and the only real video instal of your product looks like it is not going well. Don't think for one minute I am all about paying more $$$ for an "air cooled" oil cooler.... not for me where I live! I think we all just need to hear and more importantly SEE this thing in action working the way it was designed to work.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:05 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
I agree with Berick. I want to believe in the kit, but so far it's not looking very good. I myself will not get BPD's kit since it is air cooled and is not a good ideal for the cold climates here, not to mention you have little to no oil cooling at idle with no airflow over the cooler. Also, it's outrageously priced. I am sold on your guys's coolant filter setup and your EGR delete setup, but the oil cooler setup is still sketchy.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:20 PM
turbo60
Freshman User
If I was installing the kit I don't think I'll have any issues.
Time will tell, all I'm saying is that for the short amount of time this kit has been on the market, it has got it own share of reviews and the data is out there. More of the positive reviews than there are negative.
If someone stripped some threads on a fitting or kinked a hose or lost an oring would you consider a product inferior?
It's a complex system, the performance of the kit relies on all the other OEM components to work properly such as radiator, fan, coolant tank/cap, type of coolant, water pump, heater core, thermostat etc.
The reason I chose to use a OEM oil cooler is that they are very efficient for the size and works great in all climates with minimal plumbing and hardware. It's proven, now making it external and being able to filter the coolant is just icing on the cake.
Some of you may wrench on your own truck and would much rather replace 2 oil coolers before realizing that the IPR kit is worth the $.
For most folks, paying for an oil cooler, gaskets and labor will cost them about $1500. The kit pays for itself the first time around when a OEM oil cooler fails.
One more thing, the youtube customer of mine wanted me to make him some custom prototype stuff and wanted to try something different. This is the reason it's taken a little longer than a normal install. Everytime we make a change it takes time to tool up, machine, test and then another 2-5 days to ship.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Like I said, until it's figured out why that guy was having issues I'm not sold. 50 degree delta is insane. Also, the filter having less filtering capacity and making it harder to change oil rather sucks too. It's surprising to hear that guy didn't like the stainless braided lines and I can definitely see his issues with them. I understand how the kit is set up and the advantages but it seems to have a fair amount of draw backs as well.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:51 PM
turbo60
Freshman User
What are you referring to as less filtering capacity? Only way to get a 50 degree delta is no or very restricted coolant flow ti the OC.

Quick Reply: external oil cooler