6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

external oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 PM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006lariat
I would love to see this kit. How could it not work? All you are doing is taking the oil cooler out of the engine, and remote mounting it. If anything I would think without the block temperatures, it would actually run a degree or 2 cooler. I definitely could be wrong, but sure seems to be a good concept.
I agree.... in theory it sounds like a perfect setup but I for one would like to see a few more reviews after some instals. There are not too many reviews yet and that 50 delta has me a bit skeptical as well. I wonder if adding all the extra lengths of hose has any bearing on oil and coolant flow or temp etc...

Old 10-08-2012, 02:44 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by berick
I agree.... in theory it sounds like a perfect setup but I for one would like to see a few more reviews after some instals. There are not too many reviews yet and that 50 delta has me a bit skeptical as well. I wonder if adding all the extra lengths of hose has any bearing on oil and coolant flow or temp etc...
I am inclined to wonder about his sensors. 50* is a lot.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:48 PM
berick
Elder User
The fella said it had to do with the way he had the coolant filter set up before the oil cooler (to prevent plugging up the oil cooler). Apparently it plugs up the filter limiting the flow of coolant to the the oil cooler and increasing the deltas. I am still waiting to see if he got it figured out. I would think that just flushing the cooling system out well and cleaning that coolant filter a few times should fix things up for him.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:50 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
So he mis-installed it?

Old 10-08-2012, 02:53 PM
berick
Elder User
......or had a pile of crud in his cooling system.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
So from what I understand with this system it still uses a factory oil cooler, just that it moves the oil cooler out near the radiator and places a bypass block in place of the factory location. Also, this allows you to use a full coolant filtration system instead of the usual bypass setup. It seems like this kit would simply just save you time more than anything down the road as it still uses the factory oil cooler setup. Realistically the only upgrade in this I see is that you end up with a better coolant filtration setup. There's downsides to the kit that I see such as the oil not being able to warm up quickly enough during the winter (huge downside for me) and the kit is pretty expensive.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:53 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
So from what I understand with this system it still uses a factory oil cooler, just that it moves the oil cooler out near the radiator and places a bypass block in place of the factory location. Also, this allows you to use a full coolant filtration system instead of the usual bypass setup. It seems like this kit would simply just save you time more than anything down the road as it still uses the factory oil cooler setup. Realistically the only upgrade in this I see is that you end up with a better coolant filtration setup. There's downsides to the kit that I see such as the oil not being able to warm up quickly enough during the winter (huge downside for me) and the kit is pretty expensive.
This kit will let the coolant warm the oil yet. You are basically using the stock set up, with way easier access.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:59 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 2006lariat
This kit will let the coolant warm the oil yet. You are basically using the stock set up, with way easier access.
Yes, but you're also putting the cooler away from the heat source that helps to warm it up faster. I worry about adding all the extra lengths of hose and simply making more locations for things to leak. I understand about using the water cooled setup as air cooled ones will not warm the oil up and will most likely keep it too cold in the winter months. As long as you clean the cooling system properly you shouldn't have to worry about changing the oil cooler again anytime soon. It seems like the people who have problems didn't clean the system properly the first time. The kit just doesn't seem worth the money just to save "time" really.

I ran into the same issue with the auxiliary water pump on my S4. Its stock location is under the intake manifold. Thing is they only go out about once every 80,000 miles or 8 years or so. There is a relocate kit available for them but it doesn't put it in any better of a location to change, plus the relocate kit is expensive anyways. It just seems like the same scenario here.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 PM
berick
Elder User
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
As far as warming up in the winter goes... This kit is better than the Bulletproof kit for that. I live near Edmonton Alberta Canada so I know about cold weather as well. At least with this kit you have the oil and coolant helping each other out to bring everything to a good operating temperature. The Bulletproof kit uses air to cool the oil.... Imagine that at -40! As far as price goes.... again, the IPR kit is far less than the Bulletproof kit. The best part about both the Bulletproof kit and the IPR kit are that you don't have to spend a fortune to fix the oil coolers if they go down.... You can do it yourself in under an hour easily with basic tools

Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 PM
berick
Elder User
I am not a huge fan of all the extra hoses either. I have an Espar heater and the CCV re-route and quite frankly under my hood is being overtaken by friggin hoses!

Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by berick
As far as warming up in the winter goes... This kit is better than the Bulletproof kit for that. I live near Edmonton Alberta Canada so I know about cold weather as well. At least with this kit you have the oil and coolant helping each other out to bring everything to a good operating temperature. The Bulletproof kit uses air to cool the oil.... Imagine that at -40! As far as price goes.... again, the IPR kit is far less than the Bulletproof kit. The best part about both the Bulletproof kit and the IPR kit are that you don't have to spend a fortune to fix the oil coolers if they go down.... You can do it yourself in under an hour easily with basic tools
Like I said above, I wouldn't run the air cooled setup unless I had a water cooled setup to support it. On my Audi I left the OEM oil cooler that's coolant cooled and added a separate oil filter adapter that allows me to run an air cooled oil cooler that sits in front of the A/C condenser. The oil filter adapter has a thermostat in it to mimic the OEM coolant thermostat so they operate at the same temperatures and this works perfectly. My oil temps now stay slightly lower than my coolant temps instead of going above coolant temp.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only was interested in the egr plate/manifold and the filter. Did you see how close everything is plumbed to the ac lines? I put a coolant recirculation kit on my truck a while back (480k actually) and I'm not sure if it helped, but the steel braided lines started leaking. Not at the fittings, in the lines. The braids got weak and started breaking and puncturing the inner hose. Sure, it was nice while it was uneventful, but changing a line that is threaded on the back of the head was a pita. I know it doesn't pertain to the mechanics of the ipr, but there's something to be said for the "ain't broke" phrase. If the coolant system is maintained, and oil changes are done on schedule, it's not a bad system. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fixing things right the first time and fixing them for good, But did all of you watch the 7 part video? I'm guessing you did. How many times did that guy say he wasn't impressed with the kit? A couple at least. I think he would sell more products if he scaled it down and focused on his coolant filter, and that awesome egr delete coolant manifold. I'd buy it right now and ditch the crappy u pipe with hose clamps from sinister.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 PM
berick
Elder User
Originally Posted by run6.0run
I only was interested in the egr plate/manifold and the filter. Did you see how close everything is plumbed to the ac lines? I put a coolant recirculation kit on my truck a while back (480k actually) and I'm not sure if it helped, but the steel braided lines started leaking. Not at the fittings, in the lines. The braids got weak and started breaking and puncturing the inner hose. Sure, it was nice while it was uneventful, but changing a line that is threaded on the back of the head was a pita. I know it doesn't pertain to the mechanics of the ipr, but there's something to be said for the "ain't broke" phrase. If the coolant system is maintained, and oil changes are done on schedule, it's not a bad system. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fixing things right the first time and fixing them for good, But did all of you watch the 7 part video? I'm guessing you did. How many times did that guy say he wasn't impressed with the kit? A couple at least. I think he would sell more products if he scaled it down and focused on his coolant filter, and that awesome egr delete coolant manifold. I'd buy it right now and ditch the crappy u pipe with hose clamps from sinister.
I agree.... My High Flow Coolant Filter should be here in a few days along with the Gen 2 EGR Delete IPR sells. I am also not 100% sold on their oil cooler relocation kit so I could not bring myself to purchase it.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you got exactly what I was talking about??? That's awesome. How much was it? Does the filter plumb in the same place it does with the relocation kit?

Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 PM
berick
Elder User
Originally Posted by run6.0run
So you got exactly what I was talking about??? That's awesome. How much was it? Does the filter plumb in the same place it does with the relocation kit?
The coolant filter will plumb into my heater core lines for my application. As for pricing here is the site with prices;

IPR Research

Once the 2 kits come in I can post a few pics

Quick Reply: external oil cooler