Sponsored by: DP Tuner

always something

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:17 PM
JOHNNYRICH10
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
always something

Ok, so I did the UVCH 50 cent mod a couple of weeks ago. A day or 2 later i notice my battery light comeing on and off as i drive. I thought maybe loose battery. Battery was tight. I was able to start truck fine in the mornings and had no problems driving. just the light. didndt drive the truck for a few days. started it up, not the quickest start but not a struggle. went to pick up a nuddy and give him a ride, A/C would blow cold then not cold then cold randomly. battery light still flashing on and off. I drop off my buddy and get a couple miles down the rode and everything starts getting dim. radio and interior lights go out and truck dies. I was able to get a jump, and nearly made it home, and it happened again. Thought was automatically altenator. took it in (still under warranty) and they tested it (orielly auto parts) said it passed but gave me a replacement. Going to put it on after work, but im woried thats not the main problem. Any opinions or thoughts of whats going on?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM
landmobile
Senior User
The combination of a flashing battery light and intermittent A/C sounds like maybe a loose belt. Did you hear any squealing? How did the power steering and brakes feel?

Chris

Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 PM
JOHNNYRICH10
Junior User
I did not hear any squeling, and yesterday was the only time it had done the intermittent A/C

Old 05-21-2012, 03:31 PM
JOHNNYRICH10
Junior User
all my connections seemed tight, but was wondering if i could have done something to it when doing the UVHC.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:44 PM
landmobile
Senior User
The next step would be to verify that your voltage is actually low when the battery light comes on. They don't often false activate but it is possible.

Start by looking at your factory volt meter. It isn't very accurate but you might be able to see a slight drop when the light comes on. A better way would be to use a digital voltmeter to monitor the voltage while you're driving. I usually connect it to the power point on the dash.

You should see around 13.8V with the engine running, although this number can vary a little depending on load, engine speed and other factors. If the the voltage drops when battery light comes on you need to look at the alternator and its associated wiring.

Chris

Old 05-21-2012, 03:49 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Originally Posted by JOHNNYRICH10
all my connections seemed tight, but was wondering if i could have done something to it when doing the UVHC.
There isn't anything in the UVCH wiring that would directly cause the alternator to fail, but maybe someting else got bumped while you were under the hood. I pulled the valve covers on my truck this weekend and had to move a lot of crap to get in there.

Chris

Old 05-21-2012, 05:02 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Could be the Alternator, my first o'reilleys replacement would just randomly quit putting out. The second one they tested checked out good also but after a couple of mins it would quit putting out. So far no 3 still going strong "knock on wood"!!