6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7l underpowered

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 02:06 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
for me underpowered is a stretch, but I will say this and what you guys are failing to see. This might be what the guy is talking about. I don't care what anyone says at 70mph my truck IS NOT putting out 400/800!!!! I proved this in the ecoboost trailer test up parley's canyon. for a short time the ecoboost actually out pulled the superduty. actually stop and listen to what I am saying and don't say I am stupid or something because you spent 60 grand on the top of the line truck. I spent alot of money on my truck too but I don't automatically say its better than anyone else's and it out performs everything.

at freeway speeds my truck is pretty comparable to my '06 dodge which was rated 325hp and 600 torque STOCK. maybe the superduty is slightly more powerful than that but not much. below 40mph the super duty is putting out 400/800!! but ford detunes these engines at freeway speeds. with my '06 dodge and smarty tune which was probably 390ish and 750 torque at the flywheel that would blow the doors off my ford at least for a short time until the EGT's got out of hand. I pull mountains where I live if you live on fairly flat ground you will not see what I am saying. to me the superduty isn't a pulling workhorse at freeway speeds it just isn't. does it have plenty of power yeah but its not going to win any races. this is also confirmed at the rumble in the rockies when they tested it against the duramax.
I'm not being "Ford Fanboy" here, or calling you stupid, but there's so many holes and inaccuracies in your argument I almost don't know where to start.....

I could summarize by saying that you stating that "Vehicle X" is underperforming "because compared to Vehicle Y it loses" is just flat wrong, but there's more to it than that. You're not taking into account gearing, both trans and rearend, or Coefficient of drag, or weight, or a myriad of other factors.

To point out the biggest inaccuracy, tho, you say that at 70mph the truck isn't making its rated 400/800, and you may be right if you're saying when at cruise, but if you're saying foot to the floor, then you're wrong. The engine's going to make its power and torque at its intended RPM, not speed. It doesn't care if it's going 40mph or 140mph. Ford doesn't "detune the engine at freeway speed"

Side note: There's no reason your smarty tuned Dodge's EGT's should've ever gotten out of hand, if it was tuned and setup properly. The saying goes "lean is mean" and it sounds to me like you were running out of fuel or pushing more boost than your turbo and intercooler were efficient at. So sure, the truck ran like a raped ape, but if you HAD to stay in it, you'd have blown it, while the old slow Ford would just keep on pulling.

So again, just because it may not out-drag race a Duramax or Ecoboost or a Prius, doesn't mean it's detuned at freeway speeds or not putting out as much as your 06 Dodge.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jkarne
I have a freind who is a mechanic for Yellowstone park and he drives a 6.7l for his shop truck that has a utility box on the back with a welder And tools and other stuff, and he claims that the 6.7 has no power whatsoever. He said it does good in 1st and 2nd gear but when u get to the top end it is a serious dog. Thes trucks he is driving are fleet vehicals and im not sure what the diffrence is between the fleet ones and privatly owned ones if any? What kind of expierience have you guys had with yours while pulling? Do they seem underpowered In the top end?
This guy is a TROLL....Look at his name Obamas speaker Jay Carney....

Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
This post is also from 2012...but that's not important.
Greetings. Interesting the southern side of the river receives less HP pickups.
I have not noticed until now the order guide is for the 50 states.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:38 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats so funny is reading how ANYONE who has driven a late 90's or newer Diesel, be it Ford, Dodge, or Chevy could suggest its "underpowered"? im on my 4th diesel, and ive driven several others. First one i owned was a 1980 IH Scout II w/ a SD33T nissan and 101 hp......while scouts arent light, they certainly weigh less than a 3/4 ton 4x4, the Scout was underpowered. I also owned an 82 or 83 Dodge D50( Mitsubishi) with a 2.3L TD, maybe 85 Hp. again, a little lacking in power, but not too bad. I had a 92 Dodge W250 4x4, Cummins, A/T with a winch on the front and a power liftgate on the back. 160Hp/400 Tq and that truck had plenty of power. My current DD, an 07 Dodge 5.9, has tremendous power, so did the 6.0 Powerstroke and the Duramax from those years, and the latest trucks blow them away......most of the folks ive seen or heard complaining about diesel power havent driven one since the 1980's. Recently, i went and looked at a late 70's Chevy 4x4 K30 dually w/454 and 4 spd, and while driving it the owner asked me how i liked driving something with as much torque and quick throttle response as his 454. He honestly assumed my diesel drove like a NA 6.2 or 6.9 from the 80's. As another earlier poster commented, the OP is/was a troll....

Old 01-23-2014, 01:50 AM
elknof1
New User
Does anyone knows exactly wich models of turbos are used in both 6.7 300/660 and 6.7 400/800?

Old 01-23-2014, 06:19 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by BlackBeest
I'm not being "Ford Fanboy" here, or calling you stupid, but there's so many holes and inaccuracies in your argument I almost don't know where to start.....

I could summarize by saying that you stating that "Vehicle X" is underperforming "because compared to Vehicle Y it loses" is just flat wrong, but there's more to it than that. You're not taking into account gearing, both trans and rearend, or Coefficient of drag, or weight, or a myriad of other factors.

To point out the biggest inaccuracy, tho, you say that at 70mph the truck isn't making its rated 400/800, and you may be right if you're saying when at cruise, but if you're saying foot to the floor, then you're wrong. The engine's going to make its power and torque at its intended RPM, not speed. It doesn't care if it's going 40mph or 140mph. Ford doesn't "detune the engine at freeway speed"

Side note: There's no reason your smarty tuned Dodge's EGT's should've ever gotten out of hand, if it was tuned and setup properly. The saying goes "lean is mean" and it sounds to me like you were running out of fuel or pushing more boost than your turbo and intercooler were efficient at. So sure, the truck ran like a raped ape, but if you HAD to stay in it, you'd have blown it, while the old slow Ford would just keep on pulling.

So again, just because it may not out-drag race a Duramax or Ecoboost or a Prius, doesn't mean it's detuned at freeway speeds or not putting out as much as your 06 Dodge.

short of being rude you don't have any idea what your talking about. I have been driving diesel pickups for 20 years, I can tell where the engine puts the power out and when it don't. I simply stated what my experience is pulling the same load up a substantial grade in our local area. Yes I run this grade with the throttle to the floor, although sometimes these computer trucks will actually run slightly faster with the pedal off the floor a bit, I have run this same hill with the following truck
-'93 dodge cummins single cab 2wd 5speed manual, flat out speed at the top about 70mph
-02 dodge 4x4 6 speed manual, quad cab, flat out speed at the top 72 mph
-06 dodge 4x4 auto quad cab, flat out speed at the top about 74-75mph this is stock, tuned with the smarty probably 85mph if I wanted to.
-2011 ford 6.7 4x4 crew cab, flat out speed to the top about 74 mph
-2013 ecoboost f-150 4x4 crew cab, speed spiked to 83 mph, truck overheated went into limp mode, I still kept the pedal to the floor I hit the top at about 72 mph.

there is 5 trucks pulling the same hill flat out with the same load. this is a data point because it shows what a truck will do on the same hill, yes I am aware that gearing changes are a variable, so is weight of the truck itself. the ecoboost did well because its 2000# lighter. gearing is less of a factor because of the excellent 6 speed trans the superduty has

why are you trashing me because I stated what I observed and what my opinion is?? did you read the rumble in the rockies story where the duramax destroyed the superduty going up to the Eisenhower tunnel?? by destroyed it wasn't even close actually. I think GM actually wondered if something was wrong it was so far off. HOW COULD THAT HAVE HAPPENED IF THE SUPERDUTY IS PUTTING OUT MORE POWER BECAUSE ITS RATED FOR MORE THAN THE DURAMAX ?!?! I have tried to explain a logical theory as to why this is. this story and my observations support it.

you other comment about lean and mean shows me you have a fundamental misunderstanding about how modified diesels make power. the reason my EGT's got too hot is because the turbo charger could not supply enough air into the motor for a complete burn. You also have no clue that, that particular tuner had tunes up to a 210 hp increase. it was litterly enough to destroy my transmission pretty much instantly if I ran the full tune. I was actually running the lowest tune for a 60hp increase, but you didn't know that and if you knew what you were really talking about the smarty had plenty to overwhelm the turbo with EASE. the more fuel you add to the stock turbo your boost will increase provided the waste gate doesn't bleed it. more boost is great to a point where the turbo is outside its efficiency envelope at which point your at a diminishing return in keeping the EGT's at bay.

I bought a ford too, I drive the same truck you do. however I am not the brand loyal type. if something isn't as good in a particular area I call it rather than be blindly brand loyal. does my superduty have plenty of power for me, yeah it does. but to say it outperforms everything on the road is inaccurate.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
short of being rude you don't have any idea what your talking about. I have been driving diesel pickups for 20 years, I can tell where the engine puts the power out and when it don't. I simply stated what my experience is pulling the same load up a substantial grade in our local area. Yes I run this grade with the throttle to the floor, although sometimes these computer trucks will actually run slightly faster with the pedal off the floor a bit, I have run this same hill with the following truck
-'93 dodge cummins single cab 2wd 5speed manual, flat out speed at the top about 70mph
-02 dodge 4x4 6 speed manual, quad cab, flat out speed at the top 72 mph
-06 dodge 4x4 auto quad cab, flat out speed at the top about 74-75mph this is stock, tuned with the smarty probably 85mph if I wanted to.
-2011 ford 6.7 4x4 crew cab, flat out speed to the top about 74 mph
-2013 ecoboost f-150 4x4 crew cab, speed spiked to 83 mph, truck overheated went into limp mode, I still kept the pedal to the floor I hit the top at about 72 mph.

there is 5 trucks pulling the same hill flat out with the same load. this is a data point because it shows what a truck will do on the same hill, yes I am aware that gearing changes are a variable, so is weight of the truck itself. the ecoboost did well because its 2000# lighter. gearing is less of a factor because of the excellent 6 speed trans the superduty has

why are you trashing me because I stated what I observed and what my opinion is?? did you read the rumble in the rockies story where the duramax destroyed the superduty going up to the Eisenhower tunnel?? by destroyed it wasn't even close actually. I think GM actually wondered if something was wrong it was so far off. HOW COULD THAT HAVE HAPPENED IF THE SUPERDUTY IS PUTTING OUT MORE POWER BECAUSE ITS RATED FOR MORE THAN THE DURAMAX ?!?! I have tried to explain a logical theory as to why this is. this story and my observations support it.

you other comment about lean and mean shows me you have a fundamental misunderstanding about how modified diesels make power. the reason my EGT's got too hot is because the turbo charger could not supply enough air into the motor for a complete burn. You also have no clue that, that particular tuner had tunes up to a 210 hp increase. it was litterly enough to destroy my transmission pretty much instantly if I ran the full tune. I was actually running the lowest tune for a 60hp increase, but you didn't know that and if you knew what you were really talking about the smarty had plenty to overwhelm the turbo with EASE. the more fuel you add to the stock turbo your boost will increase provided the waste gate doesn't bleed it. more boost is great to a point where the turbo is outside its efficiency envelope at which point your at a diminishing return in keeping the EGT's at bay.

I bought a ford too, I drive the same truck you do. however I am not the brand loyal type. if something isn't as good in a particular area I call it rather than be blindly brand loyal. does my superduty have plenty of power for me, yeah it does. but to say it outperforms everything on the road is inaccurate.

I read what you first posted and just wanted to say a couple of things. If you have been driving diesels for 20 years and know what you claim to know, then you would know that when a manufacturer puts out HP/TQ specs, those ratings are to the FLYWHEEL. You lose HP going through the flywheel and the transmission, then the driveshaft, then the rear axle and finally you will get it to the rear wheel. So no your truck is not making 400/800 at the rear wheels, you are correct about that.

Also, when GM did that video in the Rockies, Ford didn't make any excuses for why the Super Duty lost, they said the current turbo didn't perform well AT higher altitudes, which is one of the big reasons for the switch in the 2015 trucks and the fuel delivery system. Also there won't EVER be a true comparison of trucks because there is too much variable, different tires, rims, fuel tank size, how much the truck weighs. . So those "competitions" aren't anything more to me then just a selling point that companies use.

Besides, who really "races" a fully maxed out truck to the top of the hill??? Is it cool to see? Yes, but how often are you ever going to load you truck down to the max GCWR and floor it up a super steep slope? I would guess for the vast majority of people that it's hardly to probably never.