Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OT Google Chrome ? again

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:57 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OT Google Chrome ? again

Alright I would say about 1/4 of the time Chrome will not connect to the FTE server. My tab bar at the top even pulls up the little FTE Icon but says Failure to connect to server.
Any suggestions. I am thinking maybe certain times of day perhaps but havent paid that much attention. I do know when Chrome wont connect neither will Firefox, but AOL will but I hat that and it is way slow. I live in the county and have to use satellite.
thanks

Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't had that problem with Chrome. I would think it may be virus/internet security program related. What anti-virus/web security program do you use? I know I have had problems in the past with that kind of software limiting the access.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Old 04-26-2012, 02:25 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
no problems with chrome for me. been using it for years

Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Thank you Stewart. Now if I just knew what all that meant?? What do I need to do to stop it. Update virus, firewall or something. I dont really know anything about that stuff so any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Old 04-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by caverjoe
Thank you Stewart. Now if I just knew what all that meant??
It meant FTE got attacked, just like the article describes.

What do I need to do to stop it. Update virus, firewall or something. I dont really know anything about that stuff so any help would be appreciated.
thanks
While you should have all that anyway, it wouldn't matter in this case because your computer wasn't the one that was attacked. It was the FTE website.

Stewart

Old 04-26-2012, 04:33 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Thanks man.. I thought that is how I was reading it. It seems to happen somewhat often. seems like maybe late morning miday more than early and late.
However that being the case why is AOL still able to connect when the other two can not??

Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 PM
srteach
Elder User
... However that being the case why is AOL still able to connect when the other two can not??
AOL is an intermediary. It sits in between you and the websites you visit. It does nothing else beneficial, in fact, it probably slows down your surfing. AOL provides advertising to you as well, if that is what you want.

I'm not sure what you mean by "other two". If you are talking about browsers, AOL may be showing you a stored (called cached) version of the websites you have requested in the past, where the "other two" browsers try to get a fresh version, and are running into a DDOS roadblock.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:31 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Sometimes my firewall program will change the settings on chrome so it will not connect to anything at all. If yours will not connect to other things, check to see if the program is only allowing outgoing connections instead of full access.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM
microdevil45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you Stewart. Now if I just knew what all that meant?? What do I need to do to stop it. Update virus, firewall or something. I dont really know anything about that stuff so any help would be appreciated.
thanks
buy a mac... it worked for me...

Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm just doing a hit-and-run here. I've cleaned up countless computers after consumer-types have clicked a few links too many and downloaded too much stuff without unchecking boxes in the software install. Personal computers get so gummed up with cling-ons, add-ons, pre-loads, and auto-updates that they barely boot or function. I'd start with going to your control panel and look at "Programs and Features" or "Add or Remove Programs" - depending on your operating system. Ferret out stuff you don't really use, but be careful not to delete stuff that makes your computer work. When in doubt, leave it or look it up on the web. If you see something you know for sure you don't want or need, uninstall it. You'd be amazed how much mystery meat pops up in a computer when clicking links or installing free stuff - or even purchased software. All that stuff is in constant battle to take priority and snuff each other out.

You'll notice I used the word "stuff" multiple times - because so much of it is just stuffing that bloats the computer and makes it a lardass.