Help me price it, please - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Help me price it, please

Old 04-25-2012, 01:24 PM
lemonshindig
Elder User
lemonshindig is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help me price it, please

It's time to sell the truck, boys.

I'm graduating college with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. I've decided that before I start my career, I'm taking a 2 or 3 month vacation to mexico via the oregon and california costal highways in my '67 mustang.

It's an '84 F-250 4x4 standard cab 6.9L/T-19, 3.55 gears. New return lines from typefour. Unknown miles. Seems to run just fine, though I don't know anything about the age of the IP, injectors, or engine. Dead speedo. Bad fuel gauges, but the FSV is new. Manual glow plugs. 400 cca batteries. Needs new brakes. Needs new tie rod ends.

The brake booster is also on it's way out. The clutch needs to be bled or needs new hydraulics. The truck is still plenty driveable but needs work. I have the new speedo gear and a new clutch kit, even though I've since decided that the clutch problem is hydraulic and not the kit itself. The e-brake doesn't work.

The truck leaks a lot of oil. I've never been able to pinpoint the source but I "suspect" it is the valve cover gaskets. The entire bellhousing up to the valve covers is drenched in oil. Also, somehow oil is getting onto the cooling fan and being sprayed all over the underside of the hood and the power steering hoses and whatnot.

The front left fender is a bit rusty. The cab and bed are solid, though beat up real bad (work truck). The frame is solid. The windshield is cracked and the windshield seal leaks above the passenger side.

4x4 works.

I paid $1400 in October. I'm fairly certain I overpaid. I think it's worth about a grand.

Input?

Thanks
-Matt

Old 04-25-2012, 02:09 PM
93_F250
Senior User
93_F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any truck that runs good with good tires/brakes/suspension, along with a clean title is worth atleast a grand.

Plus your truck is smog exempt in CA.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:07 PM
hookedondiesel
Senior User
hookedondiesel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
500$.Sorry, thats all I'd give.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:08 PM
lemonshindig
Elder User
Originally Posted by hookedondiesel View Post
500$.Sorry, thats all I'd give.
Hey man, nothing wrong with that.

It's no gem of a truck.

-Matt

Old 04-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Jayme Duty
Elder User
Jayme Duty is starting off with a positive reputation.
id ask $1400 and see what happens

Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 PM
farmert
Postmaster
farmert has a very good reputation on FTE.farmert has a very good reputation on FTE.farmert has a very good reputation on FTE.farmert has a very good reputation on FTE.
You can take this for what it's worth, a few years ago my 460 in my 86 was in need of a rebuild. A guy near me had an 85 4X4 with a 6.9. The body was ROUGH, and he said it ran when he parked it. I offered $500 for it as it sat. He called a salvage yard, and they said it was worth $900. I sad no way, as I did not knw if it ran. He had an auction a couple of months later, and I wound up with that 85 for $250. I was going to part it out, but I got to driving it, and really liked it. That is the 85 in my signature.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster
Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.
Keep the IDI...trust me, diesel engines like this are getting rarer and rarer, if anything, part it out. You will get more money for it than selling it outright.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:38 AM
hookedondiesel
Senior User
hookedondiesel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Alright, 600$.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 AM
lemonshindig
Elder User
Originally Posted by Aune163rd View Post
Keep the IDI...trust me, diesel engines like this are getting rarer and rarer, if anything, part it out. You will get more money for it than selling it outright.
Since when are IDIs even remotely hard to find?

I know parting it out would yield more, but I have not the time. My mustang needs some body work. So the truck's just going up for sale here in two weeks.

Thanks everyone
-Matt

Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.joe f350 has a good reputation on FTE.
just send it to me and i trade u body work for it

Old 04-26-2012, 02:07 PM
lemonshindig
Elder User
Originally Posted by joe f350 View Post
just send it to me and i trade u body work for it
You want me to ship a $1,000 truck from Pullman, WA to Fresno??

It'd cost more than it's worth!

Old 04-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster
Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.
lol! I would say put a tad of money into the tiniest issues, even if they just band-aid the problem...it will get it sold for a better price. Fix the valve covers, which are notorious for just coming loose, when i took them off the 1990...they were not even finger tight....if you can fix the oil leak....you will clear 800 easy....

Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
lemonshindig
Elder User
I was looking at the passenger side valve cover and it looks like i won't be able to get the front bolt off without removing the mounting bracket for the fuel filter, which requires me to remove the alternator and vacuum pump?

That can't be right.

-Matt

Old 04-26-2012, 03:08 PM
lemonshindig
Elder User
It looks good in mud:

Old 04-26-2012, 04:05 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
'94IDITurbo7.3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by lemonshindig View Post
I was looking at the passenger side valve cover and it looks like i won't be able to get the front bolt off without removing the mounting bracket for the fuel filter, which requires me to remove the alternator and vacuum pump?

That can't be right.

-Matt
yep the fuel filter bracket and alt need to come off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me price it, please

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.