6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

USB died!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 04:14 PM
jermort
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry USB died!

Hey guys,

Here's a hint that may help you out if you use your USB port a lot.

Today, I plugged my phone into the USB port to keep the charge up and to play some music and the dang SYNC NAV unit did not even recognize the phone being plugged in. Plugged in a USB memory stick with music on it and.... nothing!

Ran a SYNC diagnostics (press and hold 3&6 on NAV unit with key on), SYNC unit passed diagnostics, no trouble found!

Made sure both phone and memory stick were okay by plugging into my laptop, problem definitely with the SYNC unit... bummed!

Thought about the USB port 2, cannot find the dang thing in my truck! If it's behind the glovebox, I cannot see it!

Finally, pulled the NAV unit fuse (#29) for 30 seconds, and viola! USB back to life!

Just like any Microsoft software ran computer, sometimes you have to do a cold start by unplugging the battery (or in this case fuse)!

This is just another issue with this buggy NAV that probably could be fixed with a s/w update, but I don't think FMC gives a care about customers after the sale!

Cory@fordcustomerservice, care to respond??

jammer

Old 04-24-2012, 05:24 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jermort
Hey guys,

Here's a hint that may help you out if you use your USB port a lot.

Today, I plugged my phone into the USB port to keep the charge up and to play some music and the dang SYNC NAV unit did not even recognize the phone being plugged in. Plugged in a USB memory stick with music on it and.... nothing!

Ran a SYNC diagnostics (press and hold 3&6 on NAV unit with key on), SYNC unit passed diagnostics, no trouble found!

Made sure both phone and memory stick were okay by plugging into my laptop, problem definitely with the SYNC unit... bummed!

Thought about the USB port 2, cannot find the dang thing in my truck! If it's behind the glovebox, I cannot see it!

Finally, pulled the NAV unit fuse (#29) for 30 seconds, and viola! USB back to life!

Just like any Microsoft software ran computer, sometimes you have to do a cold start by unplugging the battery (or in this case fuse)!

This is just another issue with this buggy NAV that probably could be fixed with a s/w update, but I don't think FMC gives a care about customers after the sale!

Cory@fordcustomerservice, care to respond??

jammer
\

cool workaround..

on the USB 2,

open the glovebox (remove all contents), push in on the passenger side of the glovebox wall to get it past the stop, and let it hang down (upside down)..

inside the opening on the right side, about 4 inches in from the edge is a black box, with a cable coming out the top middle.. next to that cable, 1/2 in closer to the rear of the truck is another socket for a USB Mini (not micro) male plug.

Sam

Old 04-24-2012, 05:48 PM
jermort
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
\

cool workaround..

on the USB 2,

open the glovebox (remove all contents), push in on the passenger side of the glovebox wall to get it past the stop, and let it hang down (upside down)..

inside the opening on the right side, about 4 inches in from the edge is a black box, with a cable coming out the top middle.. next to that cable, 1/2 in closer to the rear of the truck is another socket for a USB Mini (not micro) male plug.

Sam
@Sam:

Thanks for the hint, found the dang thing by feel! Going to string a cable tonight.

jammer

Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by jermort
@Sam:

Thanks for the hint, found the dang thing by feel! Going to string a cable tonight.

jammer
I have a 4gig memory stick connected in the glovebox. Works great. Need to spend some time to learn to navigate folders on the stick.

Sam

Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I have a 4gig memory stick connected in the glovebox. Works great. Need to spend some time to learn to navigate folders on the stick.

Sam
By the way I would love to see your F-100 with the 460. That's one heck of a motor!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 AM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the purpose behind the secondary USB port, and what different things can you do with it?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:06 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by RAPR
What is the purpose behind the secondary USB port, and what different things can you do with it?
its not documented, but it appears to behave the same as USB 1 on the dash..

makes it convenient to have connected disk and hidden in glovebox too.. (and not really valuable to steal..) (4gig USB stick is $5 bucks now)

They may have a service feature for that connection..

Sam

Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
jermort
Senior User
USB port 2 is not advertised anywhere by ford. Only the curiosity of the owners discovered the port. In general, it can be used just as the dash mounted port can. Music, plug in your cell phone for a trickle charge, etc. As with all computers, USB ports are not usage specific.

jammer

Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh ok. What format do music files need to be? I have an iphone, hence use iTunes...but I know itunes doesn't use a .mp3 format. I know sync can play music from my iPhone, but I wasn't sure what format it would need to be if it was just music files saved on a flash drive.

I wish there was some way Sync would play video files from a phone or flash drive. I know it can play DVD's, but these days, who really cares to pack around a bunch of discs?

Old 04-25-2012, 01:28 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by RAPR
oh ok. What format do music files need to be? I have an iphone, hence use iTunes...but I know itunes doesn't use a .mp3 format. I know sync can play music from my iPhone, but I wasn't sure what format it would need to be if it was just music files saved on a flash drive.

I wish there was some way Sync would play video files from a phone or flash drive. I know it can play DVD's, but these days, who really cares to pack around a bunch of discs?
all mine are mp3 format.

Sam