1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F5 Ratrod

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:46 PM
dmptrkr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F5 Ratrod

I found these posted this morning on the OBS Powerstroke forum

Mitch Allread: Don't Call it a Rat Rod... - BIG MUSCLE - YouTube

Ford Dually Diesel Rat Rod at Supercar Sunday - YouTube

I have an extra F5 dump truck and a 97 Powerstroke so I'm thinking I could ......

Old 04-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
OH MY GOD!!!!! My heart just stopped and my PISSED OFF meter just pegged!!! Go to the 1:20 mark and watch. They just robbed my picture of my John Deere truck as a "before" picture. I ASSURE YOU GUYS, THAT TRUCK DID NOT GET CONVERTED INTO THAT PILE OF ****. I am PISSED!!!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:29 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
That looks like something a Cheby guy would do. Just wrong. Yep, Doc, you've been violated.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:50 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I can almost understand a early twenty something being thrilled with a monstrosity like this but these are two middle aged geezers that should grow up and build something that resembles something road worthy. I just hate rat rods, I've never seen one that impressed me slightly. This might upset a few but I don't see how it takes much talent to cobble a bunch of parts together and leave the "patina" on rusty metal. Very least throw some cheap hardware store paint on it.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I'd like to know which show this video originated from? This youtube version looks like somebody did a poor job of editing a picture of my tired old F-5 into it as an afterthought. I wonder if the original production used that picture? I'll have to give my F-5 a good pat and tell it not to worry when I get home. It was just a nightmare. Damn you guys can only imagine my shock as I sat there about half-asleep watching that video and, all of the sudden, there's my truck!! I'd eat that truck before I'd let somebody use it for such purposes.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
These are the offenders... have a lawyer buddy draft them a "note"...

drive - YouTube

Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I ought to, but I'd imagine it would be a lost cause. I think it's just kind of stupid for those guys to go through all that trouble to make that piece, and then use an unknown picture of an F-5 that sits on the other side of the country as a supposed "before" picture. I guess it would have actually required some effort to get a correct picture of the original. Pretty nice cinematography and lighting, and then you see my stupid little pic that was taken with a smart phone. If I were the builder of that thing, I'd be pissed that they used a different "before" picture (unless I was stupid and forgot to take a before picture).

Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
I just threw up in my mouth... not a little bit... but alot. What a crock. He says it was a dump truck and that the lettering on the door was original because it was used by a paving company. Doc's truck which is shown very briefly didn't look like it was ever a dump truck and it has the John Deere logo on it. That's just lazy video production. Why not track down some original before pics? If none exist don't put any pic there.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I'm sorry. I don't mean to offend any of you who like rat rods (I was pretty irritated when I typed the first post, but later realized it's just stupid for them to use that picture), but one single thing always comes to my mind when I see one of these vehicles. Let's say you build one and end up in an accident. Now let's say (Heaven forbid) somebody gets hurt in the accident, whether or not it's your fault. You might as well get ready, you will get sued. Now imagine a lawyer holding up a picture of one of those things to a jury in the ensuing lawsuit. I don't care how well you built it, what type of brakes, suspension, lighting, etc. it has. I wouldn't think you'd have a prayer in court........ Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:42 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm guessing at their age (late 30's) which puts them real close to my age, and I too (no offense to the hot rodders) find this just 4 or 5 steps over the edge. Slammed to the ground like that - that's sacrilege to do that to a big truck in my opinion. I'm usually not one to speak out like this, cause I support people doin what they want to their trucks but as someone of the "same age" as these guys, I have to support the older folks and share their opinion - it looks just plain fugly. I'd be ashamed to ride in that.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
I have to echo what Doc said and said I'm not trying to put down this type of rat rod. To each his/her own. I've seen several of this type of slammed big rig rat rod and it's just not my thing. I've got a background in video production and am much more offended at the sloppy work of sticking that pic in after the fact and trying to pass it off as that truck before. If you've ever done video work and want it to be good you can end up shooting hours of video to get one shot that is 30 seconds (or less) long.

I much prefer the traditonal hot rods/customs like were built in the late 40's through early 60's. I have an interest because my Dad was one of those guys. If you want to see some great video work of traditional hot rods check out atomichotrods.com. A guy named Brian Darwas has made three great flicks: Road to Bonneville, The Devil at Your Feet and The Sweet Sickness: The Flathead Movie. You Ford guys will like these I think... especially the last one. Sorry for the long rambling post... I'm passionate about this stuff! Just wish I could afford to do it.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Funny, I was looking at the first video and thought..."Wow that looked like Doc's truck in the pasture!" Hmmm, another John Deere truck! I was trying to send a PM to Doc and then realized... it IS Doc's truck!
Shane! We know better...You wouldn't have had time to rat rod it yet!
I know it's a shocker, but I think it's cool they picked your truck! Celebrity!
I guess I didn't take it as they were trying to say that it was your truck, but sort of a glimpse of what an original F-5 would have looked like.
either way...You deserve royalties!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes Doc, I recognise your truck too, they supremely violated the first law of hotrods by, ripping you off. In my younger days I would say "lets round up and army" and go down an seriously kick their asses. Freakin Idiots is all I can say. And they can take their pile of #### and ##### IT. Did they not think? Guess not. Sorry if I offended any one but I am with you Doc on this one!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:49 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
What I really would like to see is a picture of Doc's truck with today's newspaper in front of it just to prove he didn't sell it off to some rat rodder.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
I'm with you Mervy on rounding up the posse but only if you and I ride to the fight in your Cobra!

That's a very good point Bob. I sure hope Doc didn't sell out and accept cookies from the darksiders.

Quick Reply: F5 Ratrod