1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dipstick adapter O-ring was missing, worry?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:01 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dipstick adapter O-ring was missing, worry?

I just finished installing an oil level repair kit from DieselORings. When I went to remove the old o-ring from the adapter it wasn't there. There was also lots of evidence of a previous "repair" attempt, so my guess is that whoever tried to fix it might have lost the o-ring in the oil pan. Should that be a major cause for concern? Think it might cause oil pump problems?

Chris

Old 04-07-2012, 08:18 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it stays in the pan then there is nothing really to worry about.....however you cant possibly predict or say for certain its going to stay in the pan.....it could get tossed up into the engine internals and mess something up.....its a hard situation to be in but i think the best bet is to remove the engine and take the pan off while the motor is still upright and hope you find the o-ring in the pan......its a big o-ring so it shouldnt be hard to find and while the motor is out you can replace the pan if yours is rusty......some might say dont worry about it.....if it was the heavy nut then i wouldnt worry about it and wouldnt have any problem leaving it in there but the o-ring gives me a creepy feeling.....as far as causing pump problems there is a screen on the pick up tube so it "shouldnt" get sucked up......jmo...

Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by indyF-350psd
if it stays in the pan then there is nothing really to worry about.....however you cant possibly predict or say for certain its going to stay in the pan.....it could get tossed up into the engine internals and mess something up.....its a hard situation to be in but i think the best bet is to remove the engine and take the pan off while the motor is still upright and hope you find the o-ring in the pan......its a big o-ring so it shouldnt be hard to find and while the motor is out you can replace the pan if yours is rusty......some might say dont worry about it.....if it was the heavy nut then i wouldnt worry about it and wouldnt have any problem leaving it in there but the o-ring gives me a creepy feeling.....as far as causing pump problems there is a screen on the pick up tube so it "shouldnt" get sucked up......jmo...
Bill I agree with you are all point and mostly "leaving the o-ring gives me a creepy feeling"
Now I too have a bad dipstick oring leak and I am going to use Bob's Diesel Orings kit. And if mine is missing "I'll be freaking out too!" But before I pull the engine for a stupid Oring that might or might not cause a problem, I would drain the oil and use a cloth hanger in the drain hole and maybe even put drain plug in and add a qt or 2 of oil and try blowing compresed air in the dipstick tube and cloth hanger it again.
I am the type that it would really bother me not knowing where it is. All I can say is it is your truch and your call. Good Luck

Old 04-07-2012, 08:42 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Bill I agree with you are all point and mostly "leaving the o-ring gives me a creepy feeling"
Now I too have a bad dipstick oring leak and I am going to use Bob's Diesel Orings kit. And if mine is missing "I'll be freaking out too!" But before I pull the engine for a stupid Oring that might or might not cause a problem, I would drain the oil and use a cloth hanger in the drain hole and maybe even put drain plug in and add a qt or 2 of oil and try blowing compresed air in the dipstick tube and cloth hanger it again.
I am the type that it would really bother me not knowing where it is. All I can say is it is your truch and your call. Good Luck
im all for you guys who are very creative thinkers and have the patience to bore snake your oil pan......im more of a broad sword than a scalpal.....if you can get it out another way that would be ideal....

Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.

Before I did the repair, the adapter threads and the dipstick tube itself were both covered in black RTV sealant, and there were 2 o-rings on the dipstick tube. Obviously none of those "repairs" worked, and my guess is whoever did them was also responsible for losing the large o-ring.

Guess now I just have to decide which is worse, the creepy feeling of wondering if it's in the pan, or the angry feeling of pulling the motor and not finding it!

Chris

Old 04-07-2012, 10:29 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
There is a screen on the oil pick up in the pan, so large pieces won't get sucked up into the oil system. The more times you change the oil, the more likely any pieces or stuff that may have been in the pan will come out with the oil.

For a little piece of mind, you could always drain the oil, and after it stops dripping, pour some more oil in the fill tube with the drain plug still out. The thought is trying to flush any excess pieces or o-ring toward the drain hole where it's easier to get to.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
You could drain the oil, pull the dipstick adapter and buy a small mirror from harbor freight and stick it in the dip stick hole and use a flash light to look around in the pan to see if its in there. The ideal tool to use would be a 4,6 or 8mm borescope.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:19 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like chris said, the screen should catch it. Whose to say it hasn't come out in an oil change already! Or that someone didn't remove it already? Or how long it may of been floating around in there and not hurt anything? I personally wouldn't pull the engine on a wing and prayer. Now if other maintenance or a rebuild was in the near future I may use it as an excuse to speed up the process! Lol