Connecticut Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Off to Afghanistan again

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Aerocell4x4
Diesel Van Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuesday the emails started ariving asking me to apply online for a particular posting.

Call it what ya will, but...

Back at the end of June the corporation wiped out its employment applicant database, calling it an upgrade.

I received an email alerting me to the demise and it asked that I rebuild my profile as all that was retained was my name and email.

No easy thing from over here; at least I brought along my thumb drive with all the details those sites ask for.

That took about two nights to complete.

Later I learn that the original database became so messed up that the only viable fix was to start from scratch.

Tuesday July 24th emails start coming in from the recruiter.

First I had to just say yes by email that "I'm genuinely interested and available" and send them copies of my DD-214 and an updated resume.

Then I had to apply to a specific posting.
Thankfully I had already repopulated my profile and so it was almost a simple click to submit.
Then they wanted a copy of my passport, driver's license and social security card.
I said, you have them already as I'm an employee.

They reply, ya but we can't access them.

I reply, I don't have my SS card on me, why would one want their SS card in Afghanistan anyways.

They reply - - -we need it.

I send them scans of what I have.
They send me a Conflict of Interest document.
I sign that.
Then the offer letter arrives on the 25th.
The compensation is better than I feared.

Closely followed by a heighten need for my SS card.

HR here said it took them 20 minutes to download my file so they could dig through it and get the scan they had of my SS card.
Once I got the SS card to the recruiter, then the pile of forms started coming in by email.
I wade through them with a 24 hour deadline.

Eh this is Afghanistan, I might not have available to me all the information you are requesting.

I get some mercy.
Now I wait for the background checks to clear, and then I suspect another pile of paperwork will arrive by email.

As I feared, they want me to return to the USA for pre-deployment processing / training.
Returning the the States will cause me to pay all the federal taxes that have not been withheld under the expatriate tax abatement.

I hope that they find away to avoid this.

Taking this position could have very high up front costs.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:58 PM
Aerocell4x4
Diesel Van Enthusiast
The recruiter has finally come to understand the tax implications arising from returning to the United States.

Hopefully, the powers to be find a way to get me back out of the states within a month.

At the moment, I'm still waiting for my background investigation to clear.

I've already received an August 20th. no later than date to be in Florida and then be drug tested.

Other than that, I'm in the dark.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:06 AM
Aerocell4x4
Diesel Van Enthusiast
On account of various fupas by administrators I ended up lingering in Afghanistan, flying out Monday 1 October.

Even that date was fouled up, but finally my situation (limbo was how one described it) was brought up through management and I was allowed to leave on that day (transfer to affiliate) at no substantial cost to me.

And so ends this Afghanistan saga.