Sponsored by: DP Tuner

No Flaming Tunes Here

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
No Flaming Tunes Here

I almost hate to bring this up because I know where it can lead - but I'll give it a try.

Here's my concept: I'd like to know your EXPERIENCE with the tune provider. Expressions like "mine ran like crap, so I switched tuners" are of no use because that doesn't tell anybody how the provider addressed the issue. I've seen enough flaming of other people to last a lifetime, this is your opportunity to share what your tune provider specifically did/didn't do/say to address an issue with your tune. Feel free to share AE or other data to back up your experience. Questions might follow your experience to clarify ambiguities. I'll start.

I get my DP Tuner F6 with the 60e tune and the shifts are like getting whacked in the back with a baseball bat. I have a shiny newly installed HD4R100 transmission, so I email DP and they ask enough questions to get the details they need to alter the tune. This is a process because the truck behaves differently depending on transmission temp, which shift, and the weight of my foot. A few emails and a few downloads to the F6 and life is pretty smooth for a cold transmission in the winter. I now have AE and I find a problem with the HPOP pressure, along with a high injector pulse width. More emails ensue and DP has explained the situation to my satisfaction. I'm pulling the Buck$Zooka trigger on a new HPOP and I will have the results from that (with graphs) at the end of the month. I've had excellent customer support so far, everything works like I want it (the condition of my quarter-million-mile truck notwithstanding) and I have purchased more tunes from DP. The new tunes worked "right out of the box" because the lessons we learned on the 60e were applied.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:18 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont have any graphs that compare the three different tuners I have tried. (I recently got AE while on my third tuner.)
I can however post a graph showing the difference between my old hpop, and my T500.
I apologize for the hpop psi color differences between the two graphs.
Graph #1 is with my stock hpop in my 100hp tune. (1500 psi max)
Graph #2 same tune with the T500 (2700 psi)

Attached Images   
Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Excellent answer! Let the data tell the story. Not knowing the speed, the graph might indicate about 50% better acceleration. Why did you try three tuners? Were you convinced the tuners were bad the first two times?

I tried to rep you on that one, but I'm still limited a bit from an earlier reporama.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:21 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

My truck's nearly stock --- with no data to share. All I have is; seat of the pants, and a good understanding of mechanics/sounds/smells, yada..yada...

That being said; I had an old (Xcal2) handheld SCT box sitting around from a previous (gasser) vehicle. I called around to various diesel tuners and asked a few questions.
I'm fairly new (only a few years) to the diesel world - but I have built cars and trucks and bikes and boats and RC cars and skateboards and whatever for quite sometime now.
After talking with Innovative, I had Eric send me three tunes for my 01/auto. The 1st one (tow) was great - no issues. The 2nd (street) was ok - but I wasn't totally happy. The 3rd (aggressive) tune ---- was wrong.
I emailed Eric and he responded within minutes - on a Friday evening, around 7pm.
Shortly after, there was a test-tune waiting in my in-box. Then a few more emails back and forth.... with a few tunes to try. Then a few more...

After several rounds of this, he (Eric) got it. again,

Now, I'm not a sponsored race driver, or team-backed builder, or fat walleted hot-rodder... just a guy that hauls his family, (baby boy expected anyday now) and some equipment around. So for Eric (and Co) to take the time to help me - two thumbs up. I plan on dealing with Innovative Diesel for future work.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Tugly
Excellent answer! Let the data tell the story. Not knowing the speed, the graph might indicate about 50% better acceleration. Why did you try three tuners? Were you convinced the tuners were bad the first two times?

I tried to rep you on that one, but I'm still limited a bit from an earlier reporama.
I had a SuperChips first, better than stock, & thats all I have to say about that...
Went with DP next, loved it, Jody and James helped me tweek it to my liking. GREAT customer service, I have Nothing bad to say about DP.
While at BTS getting my trans done I had a talk with Brian about tuning, decided to give his tunes a try & I fell in love with them. Truck loves them too
I do miss the DP digital interface
No prob with the rep, I'm all repped out myself...

Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Franko72
I had a SuperChips first, better than stock, & thats all I have to say about that...
Went with DP next, loved it, Jody and James helped me tweek it to my liking. GREAT customer service, I have Nothing bad to say about DP.
While at BTS getting my trans done I had a talk with Brian about tuning, decided to give his tunes a try & I fell in love with them. Truck loves them too
I do miss the DP digital interface
No prob with the rep, I'm all repped out myself...
Great info! Thanks for that!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I ran Superchips for about 45,000 miles when I first got this truck, I used it on my last Powerstroke also (1997 F250) I always thought the truck ran great, and it did what I wanted it to. I would ALWAYS change the tune anytime I towed the boat or any other trailer. After I had spent some time on here, I decided to upgrade to DP. Before doing that.....I added my gauges first. I think I ran the Superchip for about another month before I was able to afford the DP and JWVB, so I had time to get used to the EGT temps I was seeing on a daily basis with the Superchip tunes. The power difference was amazing from the start after I upgraded, and the EGT's were significantly lower with the DP. It's been several years now, and I never really documented any specific data, I just know it was a big difference on temps.

I didn't make the change from any "bad experience" with Superchip, I actually had no contact with them ever, so I can't really comment on that. Last summer when I rebuilt & upgraded my tranny, I made several calls to DP with questions, and customer service was TOP NOTCH. I dealt with James on that issue, and he would call me back everytime I had a question. Jody & Diane are always great with any issues also, I can't say enough about the quality customer service they provide!