1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

The ultimate word in which tuner is best! (Maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The ultimate word in which tuner is best! (Maybe)

I've read distant forum conversations between different tuner programmers and I've had direct input from other programmers regarding Jody's tunes. Plenty of people who have had multiple tuners contacted me openly and privately to share thoughts, opinions and suggestions for me to consider. I value every opinion shared - each one is another piece of this complicated puzzle. Many DP owners love theirs because it's the only one they've tried. I tried getting advice about the different tuners before I pulled the trigger on mine, but much of what everybody said was subjective. There was no detailed performance data (like AE graphs) to back up a statement like "I tried 'em all and the DP is best for my truck" or "I tried DP and it was the worst of all the tuners". As you may read from the "HPOP too pooped o pop" topic, just determining if I had a problem with my truck or the tune was a challenge - but my forte is root-cause analysis

Based on everything I've heard, all the data I've poured over, and my experience with technically inclined personalities (geeks like me) - it seems like some programmers write tunes for a new truck, but nobody has a new 7.3L diesel anymore - they're getting tired or upgraded. 7.3L PSD owners will call or email the programmer and try to tell him/her what's wrong with the truck and ask him/her to fix the tune. A customer will call and say they bought a mod on Ebay and not know what it really is, but they want a tune for it after it's installed and kills the truck. The truck owners rarely have the technical expertise, the abilities of a trained observer, the troubleshooting equipment, or the technical language skills to accurately convey to the programmer what the problem is - let alone if it's the tune or the truck. Many of the customers don't even read the instructions and end up asking questions that are already answered in bold letters on the first page. This leaves the programmers with the unenviable position of shotgunning the problem from afar with no performance data or hardware specs and an impatient customer. Sometimes the programmers are compelled to just neuter the tune to compensate for something weak or wonky in the truck. I know one person that was getting ready to throw his tuner under the bus and go DP. I like my DP, but I didn't want the person to have to spend his money needlessly. 30 seconds on the AE showed a bad MAP sensor and a really bad EBPS sensor. It wasn't the tuner after all - hundreds of dollars and a reputation was rescued because of one simple test with the right equipment.

Live tuning is having the programmer right there in the truck - monitoring the performance and adjusting for the "quirks" of that particular engine/configuration. I have never EVER read about anybody complaining about a live tune from any programmer or chip (somebody please fact-check me on this, I wouldn't want to lead anybody astray).

Canned tunes frequently dump fuel, make power and smoke and have limits on shifting on the fly.

Custom tuners are more nuanced and can pump the power without conjuring the coal. Some programmers play it a little safe with the tunes they write and they have happy customers because everything typically works on the customer's beloved beast. Customers with tired HPOPs? Lower this a tad, increase that a smidge, pat 'em on the butt, and let them out to play. There are aggressive programmers that really push the limits because the fruit is on the limb of the tree - but this can invite failures as well as rewards. I see a pattern where it's the modders that trumpet the aggressive programs.

There are different philosophies, strategies, and hardware in tuning - there is no one miracle product because no two trucks are alike anymore. One tuner that expects old injectors and HPOP will be fantastic on trucks with this condition, but lame up a well-maintained rig - and visa-versa. I don't know what anybody's modding goals are, but I can share what mine are:

Efficiency, durability, and longevity on MY truck - customization of the tune will be involved. If the tuner does this and leaves an impression of my backside in the upholstery - I'll gladly accept that as well. I have AE and I use it. I'll be working with James and Jody at DP to get things dialed in as if it were a live tune (we live 2500 miles apart). I will then share my experience on the forum - warts and all. I'm pulling the trigger on my HPOP soon (Saturday Apr 28 install). The week following the install will either yield some lively conversation on tuning tweaks, or it will fizzle out to "all is well" with pretty graphs to back it up. Once a driver has reliable hardware, a proper tune, and excellent support - there's not much left to ask for. I get that at DP Tuner, others have their favorite.

To summarize: There is no viable outside advice on which tuner is best for you - just which is best for specific goals and if the provider backs it up. You know what you want to do, I can only suggest you pick one that meets your goals with references from those with similar-condition trucks and goals.

All the above words combined (along with my time to write it) don't add up to anything of tangible value - they are just my opinion and I stress more than my opinion is needed before you part with your hard-earned (or inherited) cash.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought maybe you had my answer but i guess ill keep reading ...........

I do value reading your thoughts.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't wait to see the results from the new hpop as I believe I have similar issues.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:04 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Vinford
I thought maybe you had my answer but i guess ill keep reading ...........

I do value reading your thoughts.
Maybe this will help - I email DP when I have an issue or question with the tune (a question not answered in the knowledge base). A person promptly emails me back. My tunes didn't play nice with my HD4R100 at first, a few emailed tune tweaks fixed it. Customer support with custom tunes for trucks that are now as individual as we are - with out that, the tuner is worthless. DP has delivered in my case. That's one vote there.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:09 PM
DemonRace6
Hi!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My DP is not playing nice with my trans either, I just sent an email to DP, hopefully it will get sorted out fast. I trust it will,that is why I chose DP.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DemonRace6
My DP is not playing nice with my trans either, I just sent an email to DP, hopefully it will get sorted out fast. I trust it will,that is why I chose DP.
Stock Tranny?

Old 04-04-2012, 05:05 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly

All the above words combined (along with my time to write it) don't add up to anything of tangible value - they are just my opinion and I stress more than my opinion is needed before you part with your hard-earned
(or inherited) cash.
The value may not be tangible, but you've brought up some valuable perspectives which are too often not addressed and sometimes not even considered when planning a chip purchase!

Old 04-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by F250_
The value may not be tangible, but you've brought up some valuable perspectives which are too often not addressed and sometimes not even considered when planning a chip purchase!
Thank you.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Stock Tranny?
According to his mod list, the only trans mod he has listed is a BTS valve body.

Stewart

Old 04-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have been looking at getting a BTS valvebody. Everyone I talked to said if you have a tuner you would have to get the tuner changed to work well with the BTS.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:08 PM
tpull3
Junior User
I have a F5 DP Tuner thats been in my truck about a year now. Use it mostly for towing the 5er. When I installed it the shifts were beyond harsh, neck snaping, rubber chirping hard. I didn't see much future for the tranny with that type of operation. I called and talked to James and sent a few emails to Jody. Once we all got on the same page I returned the chip to Jody and the necessary changes were made. F5 was returned to me in just a few days and its been flawless ever since. Firm but smooth shifts. I have nothing to say but good things about DP Tuner and there customer service. Its made towing really effortless.

Tom
2003 F350 4x4 Lariat CCSB SRW, Autometer Z Series Gauges, 4"Diamond EyeTB,
JWVB, 6.0Trans cooler, 6637, F5 DP Tuner, HPX, IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, Foil Delete, WW, Airlift Rear Bags, Zoodad, Recon LED Cab Lights, GPR-LED, 05 Mirrors, Upper Rad Hose, Lots more to do.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:22 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tpull3
I have a F5 DP Tuner thats been in my truck about a year now. Use it mostly for towing the 5er. When I installed it the shifts were beyond harsh, neck snaping, rubber chirping hard. I didn't see much future for the tranny with that type of operation. I called and talked to James and sent a few emails to Jody. Once we all got on the same page I returned the chip to Jody and the necessary changes were made. F5 was returned to me in just a few days and its been flawless ever since. Firm but smooth shifts. I have nothing to say but good things about DP Tuner and there customer service. Its made towing really effortless.

Tom
JWVB, 6.0Trans cooler, 6637, F5 DP Tuner, HPX, IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, Foil Delete, WW, Airlift Rear Bags, Zoodad, Recon LED Cab Lights, GPR-LED, 05 Mirrors, Upper Rad Hose, Lots more to do.
Tom, tried to pm you but couldn't. Curious about the shift quality, was that only with the tow tunes or with other settings?
I recently put in the F5, and real happy so far with the 80e. Haven't had a chance to hook up yet but might this weekend. 12k 5th wheel. I have 60t tunes.
Thanks.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:42 PM
tpull3
Junior User
Trekbasso
I PMed you with a reply. Let me know if you got it

Tom
JWVB, 6.0Trans cooler, 6637, F5 DP Tuner, HPX, IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, Foil Delete, WW, Airlift Rear Bags, Zoodad, Recon LED Cab Lights, GPR-LED, 05 Mirrors, Upper Rad Hose

Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 AM
DemonRace6
Hi!
Sorry for the late reply

Stock Tranny?
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
According to his mod list, the only trans mod he has listed is a BTS valve body.

Stewart
Stweart is correct, only mod is a BTS valve body. This helped but it still shifts way too hard sometimes, feels like it smashes into gear sometimes.

Originally Posted by Crewcab Turbo
I have been looking at getting a BTS valvebody. Everyone I talked to said if you have a tuner you would have to get the tuner changed to work well with the BTS.
Well I need to contact Jody and tell him that then, I didn't know that.

I emailed Jody about the hard shifting and he thinks my trans itself might be slipping and wants me to get it to a trany shop to get it checked. I'll email him about the BTS now tho.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 AM
DemonRace6
Hi!
I just read through the email chain, I did let him know I have the BTS now, he did say that since it only slips sometimes it is definitely my trans. Damn.

Quick Reply: The ultimate word in which tuner is best! (Maybe)