Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing emmisions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 06:40 PM
brcwelding
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing emmisions?

My truck passed emissions for the last time and i have heard of guys removing emmisions things from there truck once they dont have to go to emmisions anymore. My question is would it be good to remove any emissions systems from my truck or should i just leave it alone. If it is ok then what could i remove and how. The truck is an 88 f250 351w.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:10 PM
materthegreater
More Turbo
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
You could but if it works fine then I'd say just leave it. The only reason my truck is missing most of the emissions stuff is because it rotted off and I didn't want to spend money on it. But if's working fine I would say "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Old 04-01-2012, 07:18 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would leave it alone. I've never understood why people are so obsessed with removing all the emissions stuff. There really is nothing to gain by removing it. The engine is designed to run with it there, so removing it can actually do more harm than good.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:23 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
This isn't 1977. Leave it be, there is nothing to gain by removing it. Most people (myself included) only remove these things when they fail, fall off, etc.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 AM
brcwelding
Senior User
Well the thing is the stuff is rotting off. The check valves in the air hoses are all rotted and i just have a bunch of loose hoses hanging around. It makes it sound like i have a bad exhaust leak.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 AM
materthegreater
More Turbo
You can get a shorter belt at an auto parts store to bypass the smog pump.
Then just disconnect everything else and plug the vacuum lines. Mine had a small (1/2" or so) pipe on the back of the heads that was connected to the exhaust somehow and made a lot of noise until I plugged the holes with bolts.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Lt CHEG
Senior User
Originally Posted by kd0axs
I would leave it alone. I've never understood why people are so obsessed with removing all the emissions stuff. There really is nothing to gain by removing it. The engine is designed to run with it there, so removing it can actually do more harm than good.
In the case of the modern diesels there is a lot to gain both in reliability and efficiency by removing emissions equipment. EGR is a bad thing for diesels, how could pumping hot air into the intake to make combustion less efficient be good for an engine? Diesel particulate filter systems haven't been very good either causing all sorts of oil dilution problems and flat out wasting fuel to regenerate the systems. I am not going to say that removing emissions equipment is always good, but there are very good reasons to remove emissions equipment in some cases.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:14 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If it sounds like you have an exhaust leak examine the A.I.R. check valve at the back of the intake manifold and the crossover pipe going to the back of each head.
If it is rusted through you can plug the heads with a short 5/8-11 bolt.

EDIT: I see Glen beat me to it. That's what happens when you have too many threads opened in tabs..

Old 04-02-2012, 07:58 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just remember removing emmissions stuff is a felony. Doesn't get much enforcement.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 PM
materthegreater
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
If it sounds like you have an exhaust leak check the A.I.R. check valve at the back of the intake manifold and the crossover pipe going to the back of each head.
If it is rusted through you can plug the heads with a short 5/8-11 bolt.

EDIT: I see Glen beat me to it. That's what happens when you have too many threads opened in tabs..
At least you knew what to call it!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 PM
SCRebel
Posting Guru
It can be done. I don't have any cats, egr, or smog.

The cat was clogged, so I took it off. A.I.R check valve was rotten again, and yes I have replaced it before. So I got rid of the egr and crossover pipe. Then I just went ahead and took off the smog. Didn't figure it was doing any good anyway, since the rest was gone.

Its just two bolts that hold the smog pump off, and it get it completely out of the way.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by V10man
Just remember removing emmissions stuff is a felony. Doesn't get much enforcement.
Nowhere is it a felony.
It is a federal violation subject to a $2500 fine for the first offense, and up to a $10,000 fine... if, you are a dealer or licensed repair shop.

Prison is never mentioned.
And a felony is a crime punishable by a (possible) term of more than 1 year.
http://itep68.itep.nau.edu/itep_down...onControls.pdf

Old 04-02-2012, 09:07 PM
fordmaniac1
New User
i don't understand why anyone would want to reroute burnt exhaust back into your intake, think of all the carbon unburned fuel that is being dumped back into your system, I say take it all off, my runs great without that junk on there, and think of the efficiency that can be gained by not turning the smog pump anymore, remember its a small air compressor. when running its trying to push air into the system (with no filter).

Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

It is a vane type pump, and has, or should have, a filter.
EGR is there to control combustion temperature and allow a leaner mixture.

The automotive companies didn't make these rules.
They just did their best to comply with them in order to be able to continue selling cars.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Nowhere is it a felony.
It is a federal violation subject to a $2500 fine for the first offense, and up to a $10,000 fine... if, you are a dealer or licensed repair shop.

Prison is never mentioned.
And a felony is a crime punishable by a (possible) term of more than 1 year.
http://itep68.itep.nau.edu/itep_downloads/~GeneralAQInfo/Pollutants_Sources_Controls/Mobile%20Sources/DontTamper_EmissionControls.pdf
California, among other states, says it IS a jailable offense.
<cite>www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/installcatq&a.pdf</cite>

Quick Reply: Removing emmisions?