1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1985 F150 - starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 06:41 AM
sgauvry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 F150 - starting issues

1985 F150. Starts cold every time. Starts when its hot if I turn it off and start it up immediately. Is hard to start when hot if it sits for about 5 minutes. Once it cools, it starts right up.

I've replaced the ignition module, coil, distributor cap and wires. Still an issue.

I've noticed sometimes if I grab the shifter with my left hand and pull it upward and turn the ignition simutaneously, that seems to help. Do I need to adjust the shifter or is it something else? Fuel Pump issue?

I'm planning to replace the PCV valve, thinking that couldn't hurt.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,699 Likes on 1,374 Posts
You need to define "start". When I was reading the first part of your post, I thought the engine was cranking, but not firing. Now that I read the last part of your post about the shifter, I am not sure if the engine is even turning over. Define what it's doing a little more. And is this a automatic or a manual transmission, and what engine?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:29 AM
82f100460
Posting Guru
I agree with Dave...not starting or not cranking?

I've had both issues on my truck. Not cranking when it was hot was due to my headers overheating my starter....I now have a heat shield on it to help.

Not starting could be a fuel issue or timing issue. Either can be due to multiple reasons.

Is it flooding? If you hold the gas pedal to the floor does that help? I wouldn't think it would be a fuel pump issue as your fuel bowls would still be full...unless your engine is injected?

Have you checked your timing?

Need more information for us to help you. What motor? Carb or Injected? What are the actual symptoms other then just won't start?

Last edited by 82f100460; 04-01-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-2012, 09:23 AM
sgauvry
Senior User
1985-Ford150

It cranks just fine. It won't ignite when it's hot and has sat for about 5 minutes. If it's hot and I shut it down, then turn it on immediately, it starts just fine. If it sits for 5 minutes or so, it won't start until it cranks a lot and sometimes won't start for quite a while. When it's cold, it starts immediately.

It's fuel injected 302 v8 - 5.0L.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:43 PM
sgauvry
Senior User
It's fuel injected 302 v8 - 5.0L. 1985 F150.

It cranks just fine. If it sits for 5 minutes or so, it won't start until it cranks a lot and sometimes won't start for quite a while. When it's cold, it starts immediately.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:48 PM
sgauvry
Senior User
It's fuel injected 302 v8 - 5.0L. 1985 F150, automatic.

It cranks just fine. Starts when its hot if I turn it off and start it up immediately. Is hard to start when hot if it sits for about 5 minutes. Once it cools, it starts right up.
If it sits for 5 minutes or so after being hot, it won't start until it cranks a lot and sometimes won't start for quite a while. When it's cold, it starts immediately.

Thinking there are two electric pumps with the fuel injection models. Thinking one or both aren't working but don't no for sure. Seems like once it cranks awhile it send fuel into the injectors and then it fires. Make sense?

Old 04-01-2012, 01:48 PM
82f100460
Posting Guru
starting to sound like a fuel pressure issue maybe. I had a Fuel Injected motor that would do the same thing and the fuel pump was getting overloaded, would get hot and vaper lock.

Turned out to be a pinched fuel like leading to the pump.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 PM
sgauvry
Senior User
Originally Posted by 82f100460
I agree with Dave...not starting or not cranking?

I've had both issues on my truck. Not cranking when it was hot was due to my headers overheating my starter....I now have a heat shield on it to help.

Not starting could be a fuel issue or timing issue. Either can be due to multiple reasons.

Is it flooding? If you hold the gas pedal to the floor does that help? I wouldn't think it would be a fuel pump issue as your fuel bowls would still be full...unless your engine is injected?

Have you checked your timing?

Need more information for us to help you. What motor? Carb or Injected? What are the actual symptoms other then just won't start?
Timing is good. It's a fuel injected 302 V8. Starts immediately when cold. When hot, if I shut it down and try to start it immediately, it starts right up. If I wait about 5 - 10 minutes, it just cranks and won't start for a while. Once it cools, it starts right up. Fuel pumps possibly?

Old 04-01-2012, 01:52 PM
sgauvry
Senior User
starting to sound like a fuel pressure issue maybe. I had a Fuel Injected motor that would do the same thing and the fuel pump was getting overloaded, would get hot and vaper lock.

Turned out to be a pinched fuel like leading to the pump.
Excellent! I think you may have the answer!! Any instructions as to what I need to do to fix this. I've not messed with fuel pumps before. I think there's one in the tank and possibly another one mounted in the frame. Am I right about that?

Old 04-01-2012, 01:58 PM
82f100460
Posting Guru
I'm including this diagragm not because I think you have an electrical issue but to show that you have a low pressure pump in the tank(s) and a high pressure pump. Should be located on the rail.

All electric fuel pumps need to have a good suction or they will cavitate. This is why they put the LP pump in the tank and it feeds the HP, common, pump.

Anything that can be causing any of the pumps to not have a good suction could be your problem.

Check all your rubber hoses out of the tank and to the HP pump. Make sure they're not cracked or you could be drawing air in there. Not sure this would be a "Hot Only" issue but it's reasonable to think that it is happening while running and once you shut if off the HP pump becomes air bound until it cools off and refill (primes) with fuel.

Do you have dual tanks? If so, try running off the other tank / pump. This would eliminate or confirm if it's the LP pump or it being clogged either at it's suction or discharge.

Check your filters too.

You should have a shrader valve in the system that you can push in on and see if the fuel system has pressure. When it don't want to start...check to see if there is pressure.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:00 PM
82f100460
Posting Guru
sorry....forgot to include the diagragm

Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 PM
sgauvry
Senior User
I'm including this diagragm not because I think you have an electrical issue but to show that you have a low pressure pump in the tank(s) and a high pressure pump. Should be located on the rail.

All electric fuel pumps need to have a good suction or they will cavitate. This is why they put the LP pump in the tank and it feeds the HP, common, pump.

Anything that can be causing any of the pumps to not have a good suction could be your problem.

Check all your rubber hoses out of the tank and to the HP pump. Make sure they're not cracked or you could be drawing air in there. Not sure this would be a "Hot Only" issue but it's reasonable to think that it is happening while running and once you shut if off the HP pump becomes air bound until it cools off and refill (primes) with fuel.

Do you have dual tanks? If so, try running off the other tank / pump. This would eliminate or confirm if it's the LP pump or it being clogged either at it's suction or discharge.

Check your filters too.

You should have a shrader valve in the system that you can push in on and see if the fuel system has pressure. When it don't want to start...check to see if there is pressure.
What you've explained makes absolute sense! Thanks for taking the time and for your expertise!!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:12 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Even though some of us get slammed sometimes for unintentionally sounding like a jerk, we really do like to help.

There are some pretty knowledgeable & helpful people here, one of the primary reasons why I was drawn to FTE when I got my very-first truck and was somewhat lost....

Old 04-01-2012, 09:13 PM
sgauvry
Senior User
It's a custom rig and the tank's not original. The original bed was removed, and stainless steel bed frame was put in with wooden boards making the bed and a wood frame making up the side rails. It's actually pretty cool looking! I've not yet been under to know where the HP pump is. I'm guessing the pump in the tank is still good. I'll take your advice and check the hoses. Hopefully, that will be a fairly simple fix.

Thanks!!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 PM
82f100460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Even though some of us get slammed sometimes for unintentionally sounding like a jerk, we really do like to help.

There are some pretty knowledgeable & helpful people here, one of the primary reasons why I was drawn to FTE when I got my very-first truck and was somewhat lost....
Absolutely!!! And Chris, I think you are officially no longer lost

Quick Reply: 1985 F150 - starting issues