How to drain the oil in the HPOP

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4countryboy
whats a full service consist of?
And how are they completly seperate and what am I supposed to use the synthetic hydraulic fluid in? I use synthetic motor oil (Rotel T6)
sorry little confused.
He was joking. This whole changing the HPOP oil argument went round and round the forums a while back. When folks were actually educated on how the HPOP system really works, then the idea of the HPOP oil change became a running joke to some long-time members.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 AM
4x4countryboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well like I have said, I am still new to the diesel truck thing so trying to figure it all out slowly but surely.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Under the heading of FWIW, I drain my HPOP on each oil change because it's one less quart of old oil to dirty up the new oil. I can see a difference on the stick compared to not draing the HPOP. But... keep in mind - I'm just ****.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:33 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Tenn01PSD350;11601654]Sorry, going to be an a$$ here too.

Hey Mike, good to see you again. thought maybe you had wandered off to Facebook or something.
As far as you being as a$$, never seen it happen
Hope all is well in Tenn.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion of how to waste your time.

This is just my opinion and its free, so its worth what it cost ya. The only reason to go through the hassle of changing the HPOP oil is to remove that extra qt of old oil. its a feel good thing. will it fix any problems, NO.

really want to drain it? blow a hose at 65mph. you can dump 8 qts of oil in about 15 seconds

Barney

Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Well like I have said, I am still new to the diesel truck thing so trying to figure it all out slowly but surely.
I asked pretty much the same question a few months ago. Joe had me going there as I was reading his suggestion to your question. We have to learn somehow, and throwing things out to the forum is a good way to get answers. Sometimes you need to have boots on though.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Hey no harm, no foul. we're all family here. everybody has an opinion and even its its not the same as mine, I'll stand beside you and fight anybody that says yours isn't important.

Barney

Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 AM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
I drain mine every oil change, actually i don't drain it, i blow it out, i have a fitting that fits the allen plug hole with a hose, change oil and both filters, fill up with 17 qrts, fire it up and in about 20 seconds it runs black and clean oil comes through, shut her down let sit, put plug back in check level that's it. It gets just about 2qrts of black oil before running clean. JMOP. to others that don't want to do it, that's fine, it ain't my truck.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
[quote=bfife;11602665]
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Sorry, going to be an a$$ here too.

Hey Mike, good to see you again. thought maybe you had wandered off to Facebook or something.
As far as you being as a$$, never seen it happen
Hope all is well in Tenn.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion of how to waste your time.

This is just my opinion and its free, so its worth what it cost ya. The only reason to go through the hassle of changing the HPOP oil is to remove that extra qt of old oil. its a feel good thing. will it fix any problems, NO.

really want to drain it? blow a hose at 65mph. you can dump 8 qts of oil in about 15 seconds

Barney
Glad to hear from you again too Barney. Hope our paths cross again too. As for this HPOP thing, I do not care what anyone thinks or says. I suck out my HPOP when I change oil and sometimes just pull the IPR and drain it. Pictures of an HPOP do nothing for me since I know what I see when I pull that oil out. If your HPOP is clean then good for you or you cleaned it. Mine is not. How much this affects anything is the true subject of debate, not "well my stuff is clean so you are full of it". At least give me credit for being able to observe simple chit whether you like it or not. How big of an issue this is will rage on forever.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:00 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

[quote=Tenn01PSD350;11606787]
Originally Posted by bfife
Glad to hear from you again too Barney. Hope our paths cross again too. As for this HPOP thing, I do not care what anyone thinks or says. I suck out my HPOP when I change oil and sometimes just pull the IPR and drain it. Pictures of an HPOP do nothing for me since I know what I see when I pull that oil out. If your HPOP is clean then good for you or you cleaned it. Mine is not. How much this affects anything is the true subject of debate, not "well my stuff is clean so you are full of it". At least give me credit for being able to observe simple chit whether you like it or not. How big of an issue this is will rage on forever.
Hey Mike. How the heck you been??? Good to see you on here again. I didn't know if you sold your truck or what. Hopefully we can get together again and some day.

I don't have anything to say about this HPOP oil change thread. I never changed the oil in it yet.

EDIT: This quote thing is getting wierd.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My take on this is this. If it gives a person a peace of mind to suck out the oil from the reservoir, then go for it, it WILL NOT hurt a thing. All these guys saying its stupid is just ridiculous. Either way it wont hurt a thing whether someone does it or not.

However, i do agree with the fact that if u are sucking out particles out of the reservoir, you have other issues besides the oil being dirty.

i have never sucked the oil out of the reservoir in 130K miles. i have considered it, but never done it. truck still runs great, i just change my oil religiously every 5k miles.

carry on guys

Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
As for this HPOP thing, I do not care what anyone thinks or says. I suck out my HPOP when I change oil and sometimes just pull the IPR and drain it. Pictures of an HPOP do nothing for me since I know what I see when I pull that oil out. If your HPOP is clean then good for you or you cleaned it. Mine is not. How much this affects anything is the true subject of debate, not "well my stuff is clean so you are full of it". At least give me credit for being able to observe simple chit whether you like it or not. How big of an issue this is will rage on forever.
No one is bashing you. And I hope you didn't take my reply that way.

If you want to drain the entire HPOP system out simply to get as much of the old oil out as possible at every oil change, then there's no harm in doing so. It's your choice to do it. No one is going to bash someone if they decide to try it or do it as part of a regular maintenance schedule.

Here's the deal..... these threads pop up from time to time, where people tend to receive misinformation about the HPOP oil drain, and they have the belief that it's supposed to either 1) make their engine last longer, or 2) fix some issue with their truck.

Neither situation is true. There are many high mileage PSD's on the road right now that have never once had their HPOP reservoirs cracked open. In addition, there is not one single mechanical issue that can be resolved by changing out that oil.

Again, changing it out simply to get all the old oil out is fine, but it's simply a personal feel-good thing to do. It doesn't have any material value, and it doesn't resolve anything. That is what folks really need to understand, and was the intention of my other post.

If a person does find trash or goop in the HPOP or the reservoir, then there is an actual engine problem that needs to be addressed. Simply changing out the oil does not solve the problem. Remember that same sludge and trash will be elsewhere in the engine too. It's a sign of either ****-poor maintenance, or engine troubles.

Just remember that the oil in the HPOP system is the exact same oil that is in the pan. It is physically impossible for it to be different, given the insanely large volume of oil that continuously flows through the HPOP system. So any casual observations ending in a conclusion that the HPOP oil is somehow different than what's in the pan is nothing more than a misinformed opinion, and is not based on fact.

That is all anyone really needs to know about changing out the oil in the HPOP system.

Remember, an HPOP is a fixed (not variable) displacement pump. It always moves 7.2cc's of oil per revolution (for a normal, healthy HPOP), and it spins at 85% of engine speed. So let's say your truck is idling at the typical 680 RPM's. That means the HPOP is spinning at 578 RPM's. That's 4161cc's of oil pumped every minute the truck is at idle. 4161cc's equates to just slightly over 1 gallon. One gallon of oil pumped through the HPOP system per minute..... at idle. That's a lot of oil.

Just think about the math at higher RPM's.

That's why the oil in the HPOP system cannot be different than the oil in the crankcase. It simply moves too fast, and there's such a high volume of oil flow.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Very well said Curtis