Sponsored by:

Ok start of install pics as promised!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Callmed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok start of install pics as promised!!

Ok first im not that good (ive read some great threads) at writing install play by plays but ill do my best.
Im installing A BANKS HEADER KIT W/Y PIPE...2005 V10. Im not gona type the obvious stuff..Im goin to write up and then come back and edit the pics in. like I said im not good at this so be nice haha..

Got the truck ready. On the pass side manifold its easier to go thru the fenderwell as up top you have NO room. You should really take out the fender well liner but seeing as I had to trim alot of it for clearance (dual shock kit) I didnt need to remove it. I did have one broken stud so I did have to drill it and use an easy out.

On the drivers side manifold if you take off the air intake you can get to most of it from the top. I did go underneath it to take off 2 of the nuts. So you dont really need to remove the liner. I will need to either trim the liner a little more or need to remove it as I did break 1 stud though. And ill need to see it easier so I can drill it straight. Id recommend taking the studs all out this way you can simply lift the manifold out. Not needed but if ur replacing them anyway why not do it now. I took a few out but you can do it when ever.

On the y pipe. You will need to remove manifold nuts from top and bottom. The drivers side from underneath. The pass side 1 from underneath and 1 from the fender well. On these nuts trust me, if you dont use some heat you will prob be cuss'in in no time and end up just breaking the studs. A simple torch tip on a small bottle (like what you use on a camping stove) is ur best friend. Heat them up and the nuts will come right off.

Ok so now I need to remove the drivers side shocks and brackets to get room to work. Im taken 2 broken studs. After gettin them off put on bench.

Ok you prob cant see in pics but best I can do with my tablet. I cant fit it in the tight spots sorry.

Ok now it took me 4 hours to get one stud out. I had plan'd on taken pics but I broke off 1 drill bit. Thats BAD, if you have done this you know ur in trouble. Well I finally get thru that and get my extractor set (same extractor ive used before on these types of studs,not a tiny 1) in the stud and it starts comin out and BAM, NOOOOOOO it snapped. I was so pissed as there is no way im drilling thru that broken tip. Well I spent a good amount of time drilling and im so close to hitting the threads im thinkin im in trouble and might have to pull the head. Well I get out the big gun extractors and go to work. Luckly I was able to drill it a little lager and use a different type of extractor. Well I finally got it out. THANK GOD. Again sorry I was so pissed I didnt get any pics of all that. Just some after pics before closing shop for the night mess everywhere. Haha

Even my pup knew I was pissed he just stayed clear haha

Ok give me a sec and ill get some pics

Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
What engine do you have?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
He has the 6.8L V-10. Nice write up!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Callmed
Senior User
V10

The new stuff wont be here till tomorrow or wed. So if anyone has any questions or would like any pics taken of where there question is just let me know and ill go out shoot them and postem up real quick not a problem.
Like I said ive been a mechanic for years so im sure im skip'in stuff that maybe a person might have a question on so it wont bother me if you got a question on.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Callmed
Senior User
Ok so after takin all the studs out of drivers side I have 2 that broken off. They broke taking them out of the head. Now ill have to remove the shocks and brackets on the driver side so I can see what im doing as ill now need to extract the 2 broken studs.
I was so happy that the drivers side came apart perfectly. But nope why would it be that easy. Haha

Old 03-12-2012, 10:18 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Thumbs up Nice write-up and pics!

Great photo install write-up so far!
If at all possible could you do a photo how-to on drilling out the broken studs. I have done it before but I think a lot of folks that haven't worry that it is beyond their ability and spend big bucks on having work like this done at a shop instead of doing it themselves. And I've never seen a write-up with pics on the process posted before.
I'm also looking forward to your post install review of the headers and any seat-of-the-pants improvements they deliver. My truck's main job is towing our ToyHauler and a set of Banks headers is on the to-do list. I'm hoping they will improve initial takeoffs and climbing hills some.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:28 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Great photo install write-up so far!
If at all possible could you do a photo how-to on drilling out the broken studs. I have done it before but I think a lot of folks that haven't worry that it is beyond their ability and spend big bucks on having work like this done at a shop instead of doing it themselves. And I've never seen a write-up with pics on the process posted before.
I second that! I have done it but 1/2 the time the left hand drill bit catches and twists out the stud. It is only bad if you break the drill bit or the easy out.

Thanks for posting this. Lots of us want the headers but are hesitant because they are "trucks only."

Old 03-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Callmed
Senior User
Of course. Ill take pics of the tools and during the process. Hardest part is getting the pilot hole. There isn't a lot of room to hit the punch. Important gone go into town and see if i can get a nice pilot hole snap tool. That would work great but I've miss placed mine as I haven't used it in some time

Old 03-12-2012, 11:57 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The only thing I want from this is a short video clip of you revv'ing it with open headers. lol

Old 03-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Callmed
Senior User
Haha if I remember it ill do it for ya.

Ok after dinner I went out to remove the broken studs. Well 4 hrs later I got one out and have 1 left. Its 1145pm so ill start on the last one tomorrow. I was goin to take some pics but I had everything possible happen including 1 broken drill bit and 1 broken extractor. If you hsve ever done this you know a broken bit or extractor is big trouble. My dumb a## was able to do both.
Ill edit post above with some pics but more of random and after work pics.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Callmed
Haha if I remember it ill do it for ya.

Ok after dinner I went out to remove the broken studs. Well 4 hrs later I got one out and have 1 left. Its 1145pm so ill start on the last one tomorrow. I was goin to take some pics but I had everything possible happen including 1 broken drill bit and 1 broken extractor. If you hsve ever done this you know a broken bit or extractor is big trouble. My dumb a## was able to do both.
Ill edit post above with some pics but more of random and after work pics.

Great write-up and pics. reps sent.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I hate using extractors... I've broken a few myself. Its really hard to get them in straight on a broken off bolt especially when you are up in an engine compartment.