6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

DPF Delete - Bringing for service

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:29 AM
dave3406
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPF Delete - Bringing for service

I have recently installed an H&S DPF delete on my 2010 6.4PSD but also have bought the maintenance package with my truck from the dealer. I am fully aware of the 'voiding powertrain warranty' possibilty, my concern is, I want to return the trucks programming back to stock when I drop it off for an oil change, etc just in case they try to do any ECM updates. Will this cause any issues with the DPF pipe removed but the truck's programming returned to stock? I will only do this when I drop it off and electronically delete the DPF again when I pick it up.

Thoughts?

Old 03-10-2012, 11:26 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I'd take it to their quick lube place and just tell them no updates please. That is what I do. Course my tuner is a little different.

My quick lube is actually not directly in the service dept either but a separate building.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:25 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Driving without the DPF on factory stock programming might set a CEL.

I've never tried it, so I can't say for sure. However, if I remember right, Ford documentation says there's a DPF pressure sensor rationality test that is done at Key-on and about 10seconds after the engine is running to make sure the sensor is working properly and reading 'something'.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:32 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Does the H&S have a "stock" setting and that is what you are wanting to use? If so, that will not set the truck programmer (ECM) back to stock. It will set the H&S to "stock HP/torque no DPF".

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that if you set the truck ECM back to stock without reinstalling the DPF it will go into regen or freak out mode or something like that as the ECM will not get any data like it is expecting from the exhaust.

I did that with my edge tuner and the truck went into regen within 2 minutes. I could smell the diesel. Of course I shut down immediately and reset the tuner.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Bounds-Electric
FORD USER

Your truck is going to stay in regen. if you leave it in stock. It is going to smoke .

Old 03-11-2012, 05:34 PM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you bring it to the dealer, then return to stock tuning while in the parking lot before it goes in, you should be fine. Let them "do their thing", then return to your previous tuning. Just don't run it too long in stock tuning with the DFP off or you will go in to constant regen. I would & do ask for "no flash updates" too. Keep thngs simple and you'll be fine.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:52 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by R-T0r21on
If you bring it to the dealer, then return to stock tuning while in the parking lot before it goes in, you should be fine. Let them "do their thing", then return to your previous tuning. Just don't run it too long in stock tuning with the DFP off or you will go in to constant regen. I would & do ask for "no flash updates" too. Keep thngs simple and you'll be fine.
I'm not so sure about that. I did mine back to stock, backed down about 30 yards of driveway and turned up the hill and at that point it went into regen. I could smell the diesel right away. So you would have to reset in the parking lot and drive to the service advisor desk and then shut down. That part you would be in control. Then you hand the keys to Bubba the lot jockey and he goes you don't know where and probably wouldn't have a clue what to do when the "CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER" came on, if he even saw it. So the tech gets the truck in his bay with diesel fuel or flame shooting out the tail pipe. I don't know if the truck would be damaged but the relationship with the tech might suffer a bit. In fact, that would make a good movie, I just don't think I'd try it unless all participants were told the situation in advance.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:58 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I'm not so sure about that. I did mine back to stock, backed down about 30 yards of driveway and turned up the hill and at that point it went into regen. I could smell the diesel right away. So you would have to reset in the parking lot and drive to the service advisor desk and then shut down. That part you would be in control. Then you hand the keys to Bubba the lot jockey and he goes you don't know where and probably wouldn't have a clue what to do when the "CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER" came on, if he even saw it. So the tech gets the truck in his bay with diesel fuel or flame shooting out the tail pipe. I don't know if the truck would be damaged but the relationship with the tech might suffer a bit. In fact, that would make a good movie, I just don't think I'd try it unless all participants were told the situation in advance.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

I like the Quickie lube that Scott described, but I don't think any of my dealers have such a thing. Would be nice to get an oil change from the dealer without having to drop the truck off for a day. Again, another reason I go the Fumoto so I can do it myself.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:24 PM
senix
Super Moderator
find your location here:
Find Quick Lane Tire & Auto Centers

BTW they do warranty work there as well...at least at my location.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:18 PM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Originally Posted by StanleyZ

That info is from what my local (Mod Friendly) dealer and Spartan told me. I also stay at the dealership and wait for my truck. They drive in, do the work, and drive back in to the lot when done. Total distance is about 20 yds and 2 min time. I'm sure that different dealerships have different ways of doing business and service/work proceedures. It is certainly safer to go back to stock tuning AND stock configuration prior to going to a dealership for any work (especially warranty work).

Old 03-12-2012, 03:20 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by senix
find your location here:
Find Quick Lane Tire & Auto Centers

BTW they do warranty work there as well...at least at my location.
Nice, There is one at my local dealer. Who'd a thunk it. At first I thought it was some sort of Jiffy Lube or something. Site says it's IN the dealer and even shows a picture of the bay doors where I normally take my truck.

Thanks Scott

Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
That info is from what my local (Mod Friendly) dealer and Spartan told me. I also stay at the dealership and wait for my truck. They drive in, do the work, and drive back in to the lot when done. Total distance is about 20 yds and 2 min time. I'm sure that different dealerships have different ways of doing business and service/work proceedures. It is certainly safer to go back to stock tuning AND stock configuration prior to going to a dealership for any work (especially warranty work).
Ahhh, just a minor detail you omitted. That's a sweet deal that I don't have. But, I'm working on it.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:21 PM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Stanley.
Good luck with that! I know I have a good thing going with my dealership. They have done some warranty work for me in the past (knowing I'm tuned), but I'm on my own now (105600 miles now) as far as warranty is concerned. Like I said earlier, that is what my dealer & Spartan told me. I never actually had to try it.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by smotrs
Nice, There is one at my local dealer. Who'd a thunk it. At first I thought it was some sort of Jiffy Lube or something. Site says it's IN the dealer and even shows a picture of the bay doors where I normally take my truck.

Thanks Scott
I use them for oil/fuel changes coolant all that kind of stuff. They even did my tie rods for me.

Best thing is since I know them by name I don't even bother with the usual paperwork drill. I have been known to just give the shuttle driver the keys and tell him.

small town.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:17 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Stanley.
Good luck with that! I know I have a good thing going with my dealership. They have done some warranty work for me in the past (knowing I'm tuned), but I'm on my own now (105600 miles now) as far as warranty is concerned. Like I said earlier, that is what my dealer & Spartan told me. I never actually had to try it.
I didn't intend to try it when I did. I thought my tuner had a "STOCK DPF OFF" tune setting. It did not. What it had was a "RETURN TO STOCK" , which did what the OP wants to do. I wasn't trying to measure it but I think I made maybe 300 yards or so before regeneration began. Based on that experience I would say there is a window of opportunity there. So long as the tech or lot jockey don't forget and let it sit running or make a doughnut run in it everything should work out. On edit: Now that I read this I guess it could sit and idle and should not go into regen, somebody needs to try that and let us know. Knowledge is king, right?