5.4V8 DREADFUL SPARK PLUG ISSUE SOLVED !! - Page 8 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion
Old 11-17-2014, 07:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

5.4V8 DREADFUL SPARK PLUG ISSUE SOLVED !!

Old 07-29-2015, 09:39 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
ScottyDsntKnow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ScottyDsntKnow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Eh, he said he'll wait till 100k and then pay a shop the ridiculous rate to do them for him. He only puts like 5k a year on the truck. Probably will sell it and buy something else well before 100k.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:55 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Skauber is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Skauber is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hope his plugs never fails and forces him to change them..

Old 08-01-2015, 10:25 AM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ScottyDsntKnow View Post
Eh, he said he'll wait till 100k and then pay a shop the ridiculous rate to do them for him. He only puts like 5k a year on the truck. Probably will sell it and buy something else well before 100k.
If it ain't broke...don't fix it!

Old 10-09-2015, 09:24 PM
icsd71
New User
icsd71 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Guys I tried using the impact gun like others. Got first two out no problem. But on the third one it broke. So be careful it is not 100%.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:25 PM
RogerE53
New User
RogerE53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry Same game, different players

I have a 1999 Ford Expedition, Eddie Bauer Edition with a 5.4L engine.

This model precedes the head design that most of this discussion has revolved around but my situation is similar.

One of the spark plugs was so tight that the metal sheared between the threads and the nut so now the nut spins freely on the plug but it will not come out. The rest of the plug is intact. Is there a way to remove this plug without removing the head? All of the discussions and youtube videos I've seen only deal with the plugs with the longer shield going down into the head.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-13-2015, 01:41 PM
blackex
Junior User
blackex is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RogerE53 View Post
I have a 1999 Ford Expedition, Eddie Bauer Edition with a 5.4L engine.

This model precedes the head design that most of this discussion has revolved around but my situation is similar.

One of the spark plugs was so tight that the metal sheared between the threads and the nut so now the nut spins freely on the plug but it will not come out. The rest of the plug is intact. Is there a way to remove this plug without removing the head? All of the discussions and youtube videos I've seen only deal with the plugs with the longer shield going down into the head.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Had the same issue with my 98 expedition. Spark plugs were firing intermittently and I had a shop install new motorcraft plugs in it and they mentioned a couple plugs would just spin and they couldn't remove them or offer any solutions. Took it to another shop that does more complicated jobs and knows their stuff... they took a look and gave me two options. One was to remove the heads which would almost equate to the same cost as just purchasing a used engine to swap in. Other option was for them to use a plug extractor tool that if successful would be able pull the plugs out at a minimal cost, however if it didn't work the chance of the plug breaking apart and me having to pull heads or swap motors was basically a 50/50. So I told them to try and extract it before giving up and getting a new engine all because of a spark plug! I anxiously waited to find out the results and they finally called me back and were able to extract the two plugs that had seized in place. They replaced all my plugs with the newer motorcraft platinum plugs and new coil packs. Call around to a couple shops and explain to them whats going on, you will be able to tell which ones are familiar with the problem and can work on it and which ones won't, otherwise you can always get the extractor yourself and attempt if you want to save some money.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Q Ramirez
New User
Q Ramirez is starting off with a positive reputation.
Harmful or not?

Originally Posted by mig25 View Post
Hello, Ford folks, I have posted about this issue before, but I decided to share my recent experience on this issue with you guys.
I have been contemplating the replacement of my plugs ( 06 Expy EB ) since before It had reached 100K miles.
I bought the new redesigned Champion Double platinum 7989 Plugs.
My idea was to remove the plugs with the engine hot. Ford states it should be room temperature. But if they new better they would not caused this issue on the first place.
I followed the instructions from this guy on You tube ( watch video below )
Ford 5.4 Liter 3 Valve Spark Plug Removal - YouTube

Within 40 minutes I had all 8 of my plugs on my hands. None broke.
Plug number 8 ( Drivers side way on the back ) was already totally lose , I did not even had to use any wrench to remove it. It came out by hand.
Thus the cause of my ticking noise ( that I thought it could be lifters )
One hour Job, My truck was up and running like a champ.
Check it out.Below are my old plugs . 110.000 Miles.

Passenger's side. I had to remove the ECM and the battery. No biggie.

Below are the new plugs I bought. These will not brake in the future. Watch the video below as well

Here is the video explaining this new plug design.

Champion 7989 - YouTube

Below are some of the tools I used to get this job done...

I Used the angle of my driveway to make the Expy a little lower, easier to get to the back plugs.

Torquing the number 8 plug ( driver's side back plug )

The beast now runs smooth , the ticking noise is gone.
So I have a quick question. If the plug breaks and part of the metal tip falls down into the cylinder, should I be worried or will that just pass through and out the exhaust?

Old 05-19-2016, 06:58 PM
Action410
Senior User
Action410 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The reason the spark plug breaks is the tolerance between the spark plug and the cylinder head on the 5.4l 3v is very tight. Carbon builds up and the bottom of the 2 piece spark plug jambs in the head. Leaving you with the top half of the park plug in your socket wrench.

To extract the bottom half that is still stuck in the head one needs an extractor that screws/grips the remaining stuck spark plug shell and pulls the broken bottom of the spark plug out of the cylinder head. There isn't anything that drops into the cylinder. (Well may be very small pieces of porcellin)

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Last edited by Action410; 05-20-2016 at 04:49 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-20-2016, 04:22 PM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Q Ramirez View Post
If the plug breaks and part of the metal tip falls down into the cylinder, should I be worried or will that just pass through and out the exhaust?
Yes you should be worried and no it will not pass through unless you're one of the luckiest people alive. If something falls into the cylinder the best way to get it out is to tape a piece of vacuum hose to a vacuum. Stick the vacuum hose down into the cylinder and move it all around allowing the suction to clean out any debris. If you start with a cleaned out vacuum you can check it after to see if it sucked anything out.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:46 AM
dnadave
New User
dnadave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quick question, guys. I went to change the plugs in my 2006 5.4l 3v and was able to change 4 of the 8. The four I couldn't get out I could not get a grip on the plug. It felt as if something had built up in the plug chamber preventing the socket from seating around the plug. No grip at all on 3 and barely enough on one to tell that the socket was slipping as I turned it.

Any ideas on what this might be and how I might remedy it?

Old 07-21-2016, 03:18 PM
LenF
New User
LenF is starting off with a positive reputation.
It may behove anyone that had this issue to know that there is a settlement through Ford and you should view Ford Motor Co. Spark Plug very very soon!

Old 07-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Action410
Senior User
Action410 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That is interesting for sure.

In part -
The settlements for that engine start for money spent on spark plug replacement over $300 and then it is only a percentage of the money spent over $300.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action