Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

March Chat/All Topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:21 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zhilton
Morning everyone, got the Pavement Princess back together last night. Would have gotten done sooner but a 7.3L swung by the house so I could "AE" his truck trying to figure out why it shifts rough. As much as I've been plugged into 7.3L trucks here lately...I may have to start spending some time in that part of the forum to read up on the "ins & outs" for that engine.
I realize some may think it's a little early in the day to be looking at dirty photos. But we're all grown men around here...is there really a bad time to be looking at some PSD filth?

The injector that came out of #6 (was the leaker) is on the left and #8 just to compair. I wiped the tip down and sure enough...a couple of hair line fractures.
Glad you got it worked out, and appreciate you helping 4X4 out. I didn't realize all his issue was harsh shifts. Did you happen to monitor EBP when he was hooked up?

And as far as the #3 and #8 on a 7.3 usually the CPS is to blame for balance faults on many. Thanks again. I offered many times, but he seemed adamant about you helping him out.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:28 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tojoski
Zack glad you got her back together. Did you replace all the injectors on that side?
Yip, went ahead and replaced all four...they were the oldest in the engine. I now have a complete set of the '04 (and later) "new & improved" design in the engine. Lets see how long these can hold up in my stock truck. I did discover I'm going to have to come up with a better T40 bit/socket than what I've got if I'm going to continue replacing injectors. I'm sure going from a 1/2" drive torque wrench to a 3/8" drive adapter to turn a 1/4" socket is screwing the torque specs up with all that slack.
I can already tell I'm gonna have to get me one of those AE's..just too cool Maybe Santa will bring me one
I keep asking Santa, I finally gave up and had to go to my Uncle Sam to get mine. Clay from RiffRaff was giving one away on FB last night. I was surprised to see him giving something that expensive away; they go for $360.
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
Glad you got it worked out, and appreciate you helping 4X4 out. I didn't realize all his issue was harsh shifts. Did you happen to monitor EBP when he was hooked up?
I could feel a stumble in the truck at different times. But for what ever reason I couldn't get a contribution graph to open...thinking that's a 6.0L and up thing. The only codes I could get off the truck were an ICP (said he recently replaced it) and P0269 and P0284 (think that's them); since he had recently replaced the ICP I assumed it was an old code & cleared it. The AE said P0269 & P0284 are contribution codes for #3 and #8. Like I told Sean (4X4), I'm not really up on the 7.3L like I should be...so I was sure there was something I should have looked at while we took that little cruise....and in this case I didn't look at the EBP. I'll write it down in my little notebook for the next time I'm looking at a 7.3L truck.
And as far as the #3 and #8 on a 7.3 usually the CPS is to blame for balance faults on many. Thanks again. I offered many times, but he seemed adamant about you helping him out.
It doesn't matter to me, I guess he thinks since I used to work at Riggs (where he's interning) that I'm going to shoot him straight. If he only knew how evil we 6.0L guys are.

Allen, we may have to have a mini-GTG so I can straighten out that speedometer issue I own you on. And you can walk me through troubleshooting a 7.3L with these contribution codes. Though we may have to wait until Jeff gets back from Alaska...since we're talking about a couple of his favorite motors.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:25 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could feel a stumble in the truck at different times. But for what ever reason I couldn't get a contribution graph to open...thinking that's a 6.0L and up thing. The only codes I could get off the truck were an ICP (said he recently replaced it) and P0269 and P0284 (think that's them); since he had recently replaced the ICP I assumed it was an old code & cleared it. The AE said P0269 & P0284 are contribution codes for #3 and #8. Like I told Sean (4X4), I'm not really up on the 7.3L like I should be...so I was sure there was something I should have looked at while we took that little cruise....and in this case I didn't look at the EBP. I'll write it down in my little notebook for the next time I'm looking at a 7.3L truck.It doesn't matter to me, I guess he thinks since I used to work at Riggs (where he's interning) that I'm going to shoot him straight. If he only knew how evil we 6.0L guys are.

Allen, we may have to have a mini-GTG so I can straighten out that speedometer issue I own you on. And you can walk me through troubleshooting a 7.3L with these contribution codes. Though we may have to wait until Jeff gets back from Alaska...since we're talking about a couple of his favorite motors.

Obviously I don't have AE however, I'm not sure you can do a "power balance" if that's what you are referring to?

I know usually you want to view live data "PERDELS" to view live contribution data.

Some of Sean's earlier threads talked about not starting after sitting overnight and running rough. I was hoping you guys would be able to work it out to where you could buzz test his engine cold and listen for weak buzz. But he explained that he didn't live in the Fort and didn't have tools at home or something. So every little bit helps. I think he may have some worn injectors but I'm just trying the old "internet diagnostics" thing, lol.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:22 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Well it has been an interesting week to say the least. Went and turned in my two week notice yesterday. My bosses seemed happy for me that I'm going home. Not sure because of the reasonable good deal I'm getting with my new employer (I'd like to think that's what it is) or they're just happy to be ride of me.
I know usually you want to view live data "PERDELS" to view live contribution data.
That was what I was looking for; was watching for mis-fires on #3 and #8 (none listed)...and looked to see if there was a rotational difference when they would fire since I couldn't get the contribution/balance graph to open. Only when he backed off the throttle could I see it any difference between the two in question. I told him I'd get with Cheezit (Ford tech in DFW) and see if there's something more specific to look for and his thoughts in the matter. If I can keep the browser here at the trailer from kicking me off FTE I'm going to spend the afternoon reading up on 7.3L contribution issues.
Some of Sean's earlier threads talked about not starting after sitting overnight and running rough. I was hoping you guys would be able to work it out to where you could buzz test his engine cold and listen for weak buzz. But he explained that he didn't live in the Fort and didn't have tools at home or something. So every little bit helps. I think he may have some worn injectors but I'm just trying the old "internet diagnostics" thing, lol.
He lives about 30 minutes away in Poteau...not far from one's of my wife's family members (dang Okies). So it's not that big of a deal to get down there for a cold buzz test. But he claims it will act the same cold or warm. I know the route he drives fairly well...so when he says it's doing it Pocola (across the line from FSM) I know the truck is good and warm at that point. After we got back to my house from our little cruise, ran a KOER test again and the truck through #3 and #8 contribution codes again; I cleared all the codes before we took off. I'm wondering if they're leading to his harsh shifts? I never felt it...but I'm not used to the truck; and he did say he couldn't get it to shift hard like it normally does. He said he serviced the 4R100 recently...so I'm thinking the slush box is okay.

Sure would be nice if one of the so-called 7.3L experts (cough Scott) in this chapter would step up to the plate before I convert him to the 6.0L

Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can already tell I'm gonna have to get me one of those AE's..just too cool
Maybe Santa will bring me one
Yes, he should do that. We need one.

Sure would be nice if one of the so-called 7.3L experts (cough Scott) in this chapter would step up to the plate before I convert him to the 6.0L
Uh...what? who are you talking about?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:43 AM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW... missed alot in the past few days. Was going to comment on a few thing but 2 phone calls later I dont have a clue what I was gonna say.

I get to dig holes for my fence today which I dont want to with how my back hurts but I need to get it done. Also gotta find a new source of hay since my friend is looking to his farm.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:35 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Nine more days...maybe fewer if I burn up my personal days that I was saving for the vacation I just lost in June. Leave it to a co-worker to remind you how to get all you can from your employer.
Originally Posted by cookie88
Uh...what? who are you talking about?
Just checking to see if your paying attention. Now that you are, got any suggestions to check besides the CPS and/or EBP?
Originally Posted by jgoodman6891
WOW... missed alot in the past few days. Was going to comment on a few thing but 2 phone calls later I dont have a clue what I was gonna say.
I'm sure it was a crack against a 6.0L broke down...or some such garbage.
Originally Posted by jgoodman6891
I get to dig holes for my fence today which I dont want to with how my back hurts but I need to get it done.
You could go to one of the rental shops and get a widow maker...yeah, the spinning 8" augur bit between your feet is a little unnerving the first time or two. But after the first 5 post holes you'll get the hang of it and your back won't hurt after it's all said and done.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:03 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
For those of y'all looking for a unique project...

twin turbo 7.3 powerstroke ford ranger dually - Page 5 - The Ranger Station Forums

Pages 5, 6 and 7 have all the photos for this insane project.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:41 PM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That ranger is pretty cool.

6.0 crack..... actually no. If it was one of those I would remember.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just checking to see if your paying attention. Now that you are, got any suggestions to check besides the CPS and/or EBP?
Well, if you're talking about this :

Some of Sean's earlier threads talked about not starting after sitting overnight and running rough.
Then yes. Have him check the HPO reservoir first thing in the morning. It could be bleeding off overnight or he could have a weak/failing LVO pump.