Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

March Chat/All Topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
Lower dash looks good, I have the manual transfer case though and cant justify the expense for that model...probably the only time I wish I had ESOF.
I originally said something to the effect of "I could have sworn he offers one for the 4WD guys". After looking over there, he does...but I understand what you mean about the premium for it. One of the few times us 2WD have the advantage I guess.
Originally Posted by Will P.
No injuries other than my pride. I was loading a tractor on the trailer and it caused the truck to slide into a tree. There were a few sentence enhancers used while this was taking place!
I did something sort of like that with a '99 F350 about 10 years ago. Loading a backhoe off a goose-neck trailer...the trailer rolled back into a tree. No damage to the truck and only a scuff to the trailer. Needed a new pair of underwear and the seat of the backhoe had to be replaced once everything was finally straightened out. Glad no one was hurt during your deal Will.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:28 AM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sucks about the truck Will. Atleast everyone is ok.

I have a serious problem fellas. For atleast a month now Ive decided I was going to hunt down a early/mid 90s F350 4x4 for the frame & axles. Then put a 70s supercab & flatbed on it. Past day or so Ive been thinking again about using a deuce & half axles, suspension, frame, driveline & t-case. That would let me set my wheelbase how I want it & allow me to run the dump bed on it so I could really have just one do-all truck. The problem is axle gears. 6.72 stock or ~$2500 to regear to 4.90:1. Then I had the hiar brain idea to see if a 203 gear box could be mounted backward or internals flipflopped to give me .5od rather than 2:1 low. Doing that puts the rpms just above 2100 at 75mph. Power wise, the 6.9 make just a little more than the Multifuel in the deuce so a built 6.9/7.3 should be fine.

Ok... enough rambling, time to eat something & get busy around the yard.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM
F250W6.0
Mountain Pass
OK Ok I get it, this is not my week end. Did not get to make it to the GTG cause wife was sick and today head for spring break vacation and get 15 miles from the house ans the turbo hose clamp lets go.Could not find the clamp anywhere, so had to get a regular hose clamp and limp home. Just had the EGR cooler,valve and oil cooler replaced, so now gonna take it to the same shop and let them check it out. Any ideas what I need to request they do? Or questions I should ask??

Old 03-18-2012, 08:38 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by F250W6.0
Could not find the clamp anywhere, so had to get a regular hose clamp and limp home. Just had the EGR cooler,valve and oil cooler replaced, so now gonna take it to the same shop and let them check it out. Any ideas what I need to request they do? Or questions I should ask??
Harry, sorry I missed your call today...was out on the scooter enjoying the day before the rain comes in. You might check with KW on Hwy 59 in VB if you haven't come up with the 3" clamp your looking for. They used to be open 24hrs a day (parts/service)...I think even on Sundays. I don't agree with the hairspray idea that was thrown out there in the 6.0L forum...as long as the tubes are clean you should be good.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 PM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Hair spray on the boots.... maybe in a pinch but not long term. I would just invest in good boots & clamps. As to what to ask the shop, if they messed with it not to long ago & its a part they had to mess with, they just bought a new clamp.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:17 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Well now that most of my chores are caught up, I may actually get to figure out what went down Saturday on the way to the GTG. Truth betold, I thought I had to "blow a little smoke" to fit in with all those 7.3L there Saturday.
Originally Posted by jgoodman6891
Hair spray on the boots.... maybe in a pinch but not long term. I would just invest in good boots & clamps. As to what to ask the shop, if they messed with it not to long ago & its a part they had to mess with, they just bought a new clamp.
When you have a powerhouse under the hood like the 6.0L you need every bit of advantage you can offer your CAC boots

But serously, I'd clean the ends of the CAC tubes (outside) and insides of the boots real good with carb cleaner and use a new hose clamp. At 20 psi, your not over-coming the abilities of the clamps to hold the boots in place. If you were pushing 40+ psi that would be a different story. But then you'd been on a whole new level for 6.0L performance since the heads lift when your pushing over 30psi.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Seen the hairspray trick done a few times, never had to do it to mine, but mine never sees more than 28lbs or so.

Man, bad weekend for 6.0's in Arkansas this weekend. I gotta tell ya, all joking aside, at this point I'm really glad I didn't end up with one.

This warm weather has put the fishing bug in me. I think one of these weekends real soon I need to put my boat in the water and see if I can't catch a mess of crappie or bass. Anybody else like to fish?

Old 03-19-2012, 03:32 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by zhilton
Truth betold, I thought I had to "blow a little smoke" to fit in with all those 7.3L there Saturday.
Smoke, yes... but only when it's caused by burning oil, not metal

Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
You never fully appreciate your truck until you have to drive the spare ride on your normal "rounds". I really wish I would have had the Pavement Princess with me this morning in all that rain around Fayetteville/Springdale.
Originally Posted by tojoski
Man, bad weekend for 6.0's in Arkansas this weekend. I gotta tell ya, all joking aside, at this point I'm really glad I didn't end up with one.
Minor stuff, easy fixes for somone's goof. What Harry isn't telling you is how much stuff he's got loaded up behind that truck of his. If it wasn't for the fact that I know he used to work in a UAW shop, I'd accuse him of being a teamster the way he travels.
I think one of these weekends real soon I need to put my boat in the water and see if I can't catch a mess of crappie or bass.
As much rain as we're getting on the western border right now...you may need that boat just to get around. The weather guessers are saying by 0900 Wednesday (tomorrow) total rain fall should exceed 10" with some locations getting above 12" of rain since Monday night. Row, row, row your boat....
Smoke, yes... but only when it's caused by burning oil, not metal
Nothing but raw fuel out the tailpipe of the Princess; nothing but fuel. If I could have figured out a way to ignite that fuel...I could have done a 6.4L impression all the way home.

Got four remans headed to the house this week, should be there waiting on me when I get back next weekend. I was going to wait a couple of weeks before I did the oil cooler/turbo cleaning. Looks like I'll go ahead and do that while I've got the motor down. Anyone want to have a wrenching party Monday/Tuesday of next week?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nothing but raw fuel out the tailpipe of the Princess; nothing but fuel. If I could have figured out a way to ignite that fuel...I could have done a 6.4L impression all the way home.
I can see it now. Next GTG the princess will have a switched injector to hold it open and a spark plug in the tailpipe.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
Don't give all your good IDEA's to the 6.0 guys...........................

Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
To quote Johnny Cash, "how high's the creek ma'ma?"
Originally Posted by cookie88
I can see it now. Next GTG the princess will have a switched injector to hold it open and a spark plug in the tailpipe.
While I like the way your thinking...I can see a couple of flaws with your idea; (A)I'm thinking something hotter than a spark-plug is going to be needed to set the fuel off and (B) real trucks don't have spark plugs. Wonder if I need two or three glowplugs plumbed in tailpipe to get the fuel to flame?
Originally Posted by 1996pwrstrk
Don't give all your good IDEA's to the 6.0 guys......
Nothing but love...boy can I feel it

Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 AM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
While I like the way your thinking...I can see a couple of flaws with your idea; (A)I'm thinking something hotter than a spark-plug is going to be needed to set the fuel off and (B) real trucks don't have spark plugs. Wonder if I need two or three glowplugs plumbed in tailpipe to get the fuel to flame?

Want some glow plugs? Buy me three new ones (I will buy the other five) & you can have the 8 good ones on my truck. I wonder if it would really work. Hell, just pipe in an old mechanical injector or nitrous nozzle after the turbo & shoot some diesel to it.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:07 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jgoodman6891
I wonder if it would really work. Hell, just pipe in an old mechanical injector or nitrous nozzle after the turbo & shoot some diesel to it.
At $4 a gallon, don't look for me to try it anytime soon. Just because I work for a railroad doesn't mean I make the big bucks. Married with children, do I really need to say anything else? Now Scott on the other hand, it's made of money...and he drives a 7.3L; perfect platform for a fire breathing dragon.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
WOW I just found out I'm not gonna have a job in the very near future !! Maverick is eliminating the sand division by May 1ST it will be over, the equipment is for sale right now. A Job hunting here I go..........................................

Quick Reply: March Chat/All Topic thread