Sponsored by: Moser

I want nicer air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:18 PM
helipirate
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want nicer air conditioning

I am rebuilding my truck, I have a build thread some of you may have seen. One of my requirements is that I want the interior to have most of the comforts of a modern vehicle ie power windows, power locks, leather heated seats.

My wife and I are thermal opposites when put in the same vehicle. I will sweat and she will freeze. I have heated seats for the truck but that is not going to cut it. I want dual zone climate control, the manual kind that comes in many vehicles in the last few years. Automatic would be fine too but there are too many sensors and all that I think it would get too expensive too quick.

Most of the aftermarket air conditioning kits cost around $1000 they have few fetures. I am looking to retrofit something from another vehicle for $1000 or less (for the whole system). I know it will require alot of fabrication but I am capable of doing it I think.

So far I am going to try to find one that is all electronic (no vacuum). The older the vehicle the better because the junkyards around here with newer cars won't let you pull it yourself. I know Delphi makes alot of the HVAC modules but I can't find where I could buy any from them.

So I want your opinions or ideas on what vehicle would be best to try to get this from and how to do it.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
My guess would be the bigger luxury cars (Lincoln, Cadillac) would be the best donor candidates.
I think that I would first see if I could still use the truck evaporator, condenser, compressor and hoses and simply (?) adapt the control systems to it.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:02 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
2003 chebby's come to mind. our stripped down work trucks still had dual zone, and im almost positive it was all electric.

my wife and i have the same problem. sometimes she has to roll her window up

Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
If you're inclined, Nostalgic Air Products makes kits for our rigs:
Ford AC Kits for Trucks

'Beats the headaches of piecing together a system.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 AM
helipirate
Senior User
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
My guess would be the bigger luxury cars (Lincoln, Cadillac) would be the best donor candidates.
I think that I would first see if I could still use the truck evaporator, condenser, compressor and hoses and simply (?) adapt the control systems to it.
I thought Cadillac as well but theirs is automatic clear back to 1996 and would require lots of sensors and the computer that is hooked into many other systems. I agree on the rest of what you said though.

Originally Posted by meborder
2003 chebby's come to mind. our stripped down work trucks still had dual zone, and im almost positive it was all electric.
I have been looking at the Chevy ones, I think it is a good candidate but I have not found any in the junk yards yet.

Originally Posted by HIO Silver
If you're inclined, Nostalgic Air Products makes kits for our rigs:
Ford AC Kits for Trucks

'Beats the headaches of piecing together a system.
I have looked at that kit, it just doesn't have the features I want. Since this is my dream truck I want to try to get all the features I want. I still think I can get the whole set up for less then $1000 that most of these companies charge.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 AM
mjshagnasty
Senior User
One guy on here put the whole dash/ interior from a newer superduty in his crew. I think the truck was a bumpside. If I was on my computer I would look for you but I'm not. I believe he also swapped frames not that helps but it may if you give it a search. The dash came out pretty nice so it's worth a shot.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:11 PM
helipirate
Senior User
Ok who is real good with wiring and wiring diagrams haha, I bought a dual zone manual controlled HVAC box and controls from a 03 Chevy Trailblazer. I could only find one from a yard that pulled the parts for you and they destroyed all the wiring and didn't give me any connectors

This will be what I try make work in my Super Cab build.

The heater core and A/C evaporator are in there.

Wish I could have removed it my self then this would have been much much easier.