1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 F6-newbie looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 PM
fordtreexr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
49 F6-newbie looking for feedback

Would like to say "Hi" to everyone in this forum. Last month after back surgery my family gave me a model of a 1950 F1 to build while I get better. Boy was that a mistake! Lots of time on your back and a laptop equals a 1949 F6 in my work garage. Origanally a grain truck from NE has now come to Ohio to do tree work and parades. Please take a look at the photos. I would welcome all insights. Runs well enough, all gauges and lights working, dump bed completely functional. Thanks for looking. Pictures at Pictures by fordtreeXR - Photobucket

Last edited by fordtreexr; 02-24-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: better title ID
Old 02-22-2012, 07:44 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE - You've past your first test with plenty of pictures of a very nice looking Truck - Looks like all it needs is a trip to the DMV for some tags and your set to go

Old 02-22-2012, 07:47 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Heck of a bad way to get into old trucks, but glad to have you hanging around. Great looking truck, and glad to see another big one being saved. You have the complete range of wheel options on the truck. The front wheel pictured is one of the very sought after tubeless variety. The next one, on the rear, is a locking ring style that will be of good service. The last, with the silver colored outer ring, is a "widow maker". The technical term for the widow maker is "Firestone RH-5°". You'll want to do a Google search of these terms to see what has been written about the dangers associated with them, and to see the variety of pictures that have been posted showing their construction. Again, welcome to the group. Stu

Old 02-22-2012, 07:52 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
First, welcome to the board. Good to see another big truck being preserved and being used for work.

The truck look pretty nice, and ready for work.

I was going to post about the WMs but our resident wheel expert, Stu, got in before I could finish typing. Stu is the guy to go to for wheel info.

Bob

Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Louie55F600
Freshman User
Welcome to the forums. You have a very nice looking truck there and I am sure you are proud of her. I really enjoy the big ones as I have a 55 F600 dump stake. I am a relatively newbie also and in my short stay here I have learned a whole lot about my truck most of which I never knew I had to know. There is a tremendous amount of info here and a lot of people ready to help with problems.
Enjoy your stay here and thank you for all the pics.

Louie

Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
And welcome from CA. That is a fine looking truck. I especially like the bed painted the same color as the cab, since that looks like the stock paint scheme.

I had mine for seven months before the headlights worked! The fact that it runs and everything works is awesome.

Someone more knowledgeable will surely pipe up about your wheels, but they look like widow makers to me. EDIT: I see I was typing too slowly...

Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
welcome to FTE. looks like a very nice truck. never thought about buying a nice old truck with everything working. seems like a good plan. maybe the next one?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by thundersnow70
welcome to FTE. looks like a very nice truck. never thought about buying a nice old truck with everything working. seems like a good plan. maybe the next one?
Buy a vintage vehicle that runs and drives and actually is road worthy, what a novel idea. Some day I might try that also.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Very nice looking truck. Welcome! Enjoy it. I did a double take with the two solenoids on the firewall until I realized the other one is probably for the dump bed. Take care of your back. Let it heal properly.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
This authentic color picture from approximately 1949 caused quite a stir here a little while back. It shows primarily a bunch of big trucks like yours fresh off the assembly line. Look familar? Here's the thread for the picture.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...mbly-line.html

Old 02-22-2012, 08:26 PM
fordtreexr
Freshman User
a BIG thank you to evryone who's already bounced back to this posting. It's the worst thing being limited to what I can do as I heal up. I did do a little power washing (little electric sissy one) and a bath. Changed the oil and cleaned the filter. Mixed up 3 gallons of gas with a spot of lead substitute. By the way on oil; the manual says that heavy duty oil had detergents in it back then. So...detergent or non detergent? Again thanks to all for sharing their experiances with everyone. I've followed lots of other peoples adventures and learned so much just reading.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 PM
fordtreexr
Freshman User
What a great picture! Thank you.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A really nice looking truck in great shape. Make sure you keep your back in good shape too - listen to Doc.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:30 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordtreexr
a BIG thank you to evryone who's already bounced back to this posting. It's the worst thing being limited to what I can do as I heal up. I did do a little power washing (little electric sissy one) and a bath. Changed the oil and cleaned the filter. Mixed up 3 gallons of gas with a spot of lead substitute. By the way on oil; the manual says that heavy duty oil had detergents in it back then. So...detergent or non detergent? Again thanks to all for sharing their experiances with everyone. I've followed lots of other peoples adventures and learned so much just reading.
If the truck has been running with non-detergent oil and you fill it up with detergent oil you might clean the deposits out of the engine and glog up the pickup in the oil pan. It also might start to smoke some because you've clean all the little gaps in the engine that were filled with gunk. If it's been running detergent oil stay with it. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check the pick up if you get a chance. The oil pan has big access cover on bottom so you can get to it.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
That is one nice looking original. Don't fell a tree on it.

Quick Reply: 49 F6-newbie looking for feedback