2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leveling 04 - will ride be rough?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 PM
sdaniels31
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leveling 04 - will ride be rough?

Hey guys, first time ford owner here and am loving it. Bought a 2004 f-150 4door 4 wheel drive. Truck looks and rides like new. My question is if i level out the front end how much will it change the ride. Right now the smooth ride is one of the most impressive things i like about my truck. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:37 PM
danorules
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same ride, just leveled

Old 02-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Gundown64
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My drive felt a little more loose than before the level, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Mine feels the same as it did before and better then a new Toyota Tundra!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Quack Addict
Senior User
Level kits do NOT affect the ride quality of these trucks at all.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will ride the same for the most part. You may feel a few bumps that you didn't feel before, but nothing major. The ride is still great after you level it.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 PM
sdaniels31
New User
Thanks for the responses guys. i was a little hesitant in making my decision, but from everything ive read and what u have said, i think im gonna level it. Thanks again!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:19 PM
skunkoffroad
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The ride will be a little rougher but not much. I have a question for those of you who say it will not change it all? how do you figure this? Anytime and I mean anytime you change the angle of the control arms In relation to the ground and or spring force you will change how the spring force is applied to the wheel which affectively increases or decreases the springs force on the wheel. ie control arms at a sharper angle equals bumpier ride control arms at a flatter angle to the ground will result in a softer ride with the same spring.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Originally Posted by skunkoffroad
The ride will be a little rougher but not much. I have a question for those of you who say it will not change it all? how do you figure this? Anytime and I mean anytime you change the angle of the control arms In relation to the ground and or spring force you will change how the spring force is applied to the wheel which affectively increases or decreases the springs force on the wheel. ie control arms at a sharper angle equals bumpier ride control arms at a flatter angle to the ground will result in a softer ride with the same spring.

Who is changing the spring force all you are doing is bolting on a spacer to the top of the strut. The difference is so minor that most don't even notice it. Yes there is a difference but not enough to argue over.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 PM
skunkoffroad
Tuned
In short what I'm saying is the spacer will increase the angle of those control arms which will increase be applied spring force. I agree only by a little but it will increase. I'm not trying to argue But if you don't know You should start out by saying ( I think) or (in my opinion) I'm only intending to help a guy asking a question with real information just like I would want somebody to help me if I have a question.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
I have no reason to say I think or in my opinion as I have a kit on my truck and it has not affected the ride so there you have it.

I am curious though about how a slight change in the control arm will apply more force to the spring that is something that has never been mentioned around here and we have discussed leveling kits from top to bottom so if you would explain more on that.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 PM
skunkoffroad
Tuned
Originally Posted by Coskid
I have no reason to say I think or in my opinion as I have a kit on my truck and it has not affected the ride so there you have it.

I am curious though about how a slight change in the control arm will apply more force to the spring that is something that has never been mentioned around here and we have discussed leveling kits from top to bottom so if you would explain more on that.
yes that is your opinion. I also have a leveling kit and it did make the ride rougher that is my opinion.
I cannot teach you steering geometry on a forum but I will try and word it different. When you increase the control arm angle it effectively increases the force applied to the wheel by the spring.
When you say we have discussed leveling kits from top to bottom who is we? Are they suspension designers, engineers, or were they just people repeating what they read on a forum? Have you or them had any education in suspension geometry? How many suspensions have you or them designed and built? How long have you or them been a professional mechanic? I appreciate you are eager to help people and that is great but most of your advice is a guess and that is not helpful.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:04 AM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put 35s on mine today, and I guess the taller tire added a little more cushion. It seems to ride exactly like it did when stock. Plus it now looks badass.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Originally Posted by skunkoffroad
I cannot teach you steering geometry on a forum but I will try and word it different. When you increase the control arm angle it effectively increases the force applied to the wheel by the spring.
When you say we have discussed leveling kits from top to bottom who is we? Are they suspension designers, engineers, or were they just people repeating what they read on a forum? Have you or them had any education in suspension geometry? How many suspensions have you or them designed and built? How long have you or them been a professional mechanic? I appreciate you are eager to help people and that is great but most of your advice is a guess and that is not helpful.
OK first I didn't ask you to teach me anything I asked for a better explanation but since you are the true expert here and no one else could possible know anything from their experiences we will all refer them to you from now on.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:02 AM
skunkoffroad
Tuned
Originally Posted by Coskid
OK first I didn't ask you to teach me anything I asked for a better explanation but since you are the true expert here and no one else could possible know anything from their experiences we will all refer them to you from now on.
YES, All hail king skunk!
just kidding just kidding! I don't think I know everything I just know this one thing to be a fact. You don't see me commenting on every thread because some questions I simply don't know the answer to so I keep my mouth shut. You are the one who seems to think you know everything you seem to have an opinion on every thread.

To the original poster I am not trying to convince you not to buy a leveling kit it may firm up your ride a little but in my opinion its worth it. I'm just saying don't listen to people who say it will not change at all because you might notice a difference. Also sorry for derailing your thread with my argument opinions are like aholes, well I'm sure you know the rest.

Quick Reply: leveling 04 - will ride be rough?